"The Business of Being Born"

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 17th, 2010, 06:04 PM
Adam&Kaydence'sMommy's Avatar formerly wiseg2
Has anyone else watched this documentary? What did you think of it?

I watched it for the 1st time last night and now I'm watching it with DH. We're about half way through it and he told how it makes him realize that everything I've been saying about child birth and prenatal care has been right all along. I found the movie to be extremely informative and some of it was very shocking. It makes me wish more women would take the time to educate themselves about child birth instead of just going with whatever their OB says.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
March 17th, 2010, 06:40 PM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I enjoy that documentary. I also really enjoy Pregnant In America. I think DH likes that one better.
March 17th, 2010, 06:49 PM
Adam&Kaydence'sMommy's Avatar formerly wiseg2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennTheMomma View Post
I enjoy that documentary. I also really enjoy Pregnant In America. I think DH likes that one better.
What's that one about?

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
March 17th, 2010, 07:33 PM
inyourhonor's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
With my 2nd pregnancy I didn't want to go back to the hospital so I made my husband watch this on Netflix. It helped him open his eyes to leaving the hospital. He wasn't a hundred percent sold yet but it was nice that it helped him think outside the normal box.

I own the documentary. I lent it to my SIL to watch and haven't gotten it back yet haha.

Killian Rivers born April 17th at 36 weeks

Killian's Birth Story
March 17th, 2010, 09:59 PM
Effervescence's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
When I was pregnant with Jonah I really wanted to see it, but it wasn't playing anywhere near us. We ordered it through netflix but it wasn't available until the week AFTER his birth LOL. One of my favorite memories is laying with teeny tiny newborn Jonah on my chest (he was stripped to his diaper, and tucked under my bathrobe) sleeping while I watched this I really miss when I could just lay with him like that. It lasted such a short time, I'm certainly going to savor it with this new baby!

LOL Sorry, that had nothing to do with your question. I just always have that warm snuggly feeling of that memory whenever someone mentions that documentary.

I really liked the movie. I liked that it did leave room to say, there is a time when a hospital birth is the safest, but it shouldn't necessarily be the norm. It really put into perspective that just like the rest of the health system in this country, delivering babies is a BUSINESS. I really want to read "Your Best Birth" which is written by Ricki Lake but it hasn't come into our library yet. I might buy a used copy of it.

My mom even liked that documentary, and as an ICU nurse she's always imagining the worst medical scenario in everything (because that is what she deals with every day) She's more accepting of our choice after having seen it

Click the blinkies!

Thank You, Pattyandthemoos, for my beautiful siggy!
March 18th, 2010, 07:32 AM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseg2 View Post
What's that one about?
Pretty much the same thing, maternity crisis in America. But it's filmed by a husband whose wife is pregnant for the first time, and it's their journey to have a homebirth while at the same time exposing the maternity crisis.
March 18th, 2010, 10:36 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I enjoyed it. I saw it when I was pregnant with Lily and found it very informative.

March 18th, 2010, 12:21 PM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
I haven't seen Pregnant in America, but would really love to. I loved the Business of Being Born!

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
March 18th, 2010, 07:55 PM
oriel13's Avatar Tishauna
I got it from the library last month and watched it for the first time. I thought it was great. DH and I never had a chance to sit down and watch it together but I plan on borrowing it from my midwife to show to him.

March 19th, 2010, 03:22 PM
BobbityBoo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I enjoyed it as well and I think it has a lot of good information in it! Especially for people who have no exposure to NCB or home birth!

That being said I feel like there are some flaws in the movie and even MORE so in Pregnant in America. With Pregnant in America I just have a problem with the way that it was filmed. Very "propaganda" sounding. I feel like that style somewhat discredits any argument regardless of the validity.

Thank you Kiliki for my wonderfull siggie!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search