Midwife's Assistants?

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 17th, 2010, 08:43 PM
Effervescence's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Does your midwife have any assistants? Have they ever been to one of your appointments so you can meet them, or do they only go to the birth?

I always thought it was odd that even though my midwife has assistants listed on her website, she is always the only person at the center when I go for visits. So I asked her if she was planning on having assistants at the birth with her, and she said absolutely. I asked if I could meet them, and when she told me who they were I was relieved to know that I already know both of them through social circumstance, but what if I didn't know them? I'd just have to accept strangers into my birth? I'm just wondering if this is normal, or if it is typical to meet the whole team before the birth

Click the blinkies!

Thank You, Pattyandthemoos, for my beautiful siggy!
March 18th, 2010, 05:39 AM
inyourhonor's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hmm.. Mine has 2 students but I only know one and she attended my last birth. She has 1 other midwife she works with and I met her during the time i was bleeding.

I would have been bothered if I couldnt meet them before hand. Having strangers at my private birth I wouldnt be comfortable.

Im one handed sorry for it being short

Killian Rivers born April 17th at 36 weeks

Killian's Birth Story
March 18th, 2010, 06:34 AM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My Midwife has an assistant, she is apprenticing with my MW. She is at all of my appointments and I really like her. It's been really nice having her around, I have seen her grow with her confidence. At first she would always have my MW re-check as she wasn't to sure with blood pressure, baby's heart beat and with positioning. Now she is really confident, it's pretty cool.
March 18th, 2010, 08:33 AM
Mega Super Mommy
My midwife has a few assistants, one of whom is 'my' assistant, so she comes to all the appointments with my midwife. I like her for the most part, but the way they do appointments really bugs me... and at the rate we're going I might not be happy about her being at the birth... *sigh* DH says I need to talk to my midwife about it (we're friends, I'm not 'just a client'), because she probably doesn't realize how I'm feeling, but I don't like to rock the boat too much, so I haven't yet. Bad me, lol! I'm pretty sure I have met most if not all her assistants, because I'm at her house on a regular basis, and of course they drop by or whatever. Plus the homebirth network is kinda closeknit around here, so a lot of people know each other, especially when it comes to the birthing attendants in the area.
March 18th, 2010, 09:37 AM
Platinum Supermommy
My midwives are a team of two. They both attend all appts and will both be at the birth. They don't have any assistants.

March 18th, 2010, 10:53 AM
flitabout's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I haven't met my midwife's assistant but her. But the second midwife that comes with her I do know and I really like her!

March 18th, 2010, 11:13 AM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
My midwives have 2 assistants. I've met both and I can request one to be present at the birth, or I can request none. They really leave it up to me as to what I want.

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
March 18th, 2010, 05:53 PM
gingerrae's Avatar Veteran
my midwife has an assistant too but I didn't meet her until I was in labor. but I don't mind because I don't really care who is at my birth.
March 18th, 2010, 06:31 PM
Sk8ermaiden's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Mine had one assistant through my pregnancy. She was at almost every prenatal. When that assistant got almost to her midwifery certification, she hired a second one fresh out of school. She will use them both until she trusts the new one has enough experience to be competent at births.

But yes, with my midwife, you get to know her assistants very well.

March 18th, 2010, 11:20 PM
Voodoo Lady's Avatar Latin & Greek Professor
My midwife has an apprentice who is learning with her. My midwife asked if it was o.k. for her to come and I said "sure, that's the only way an apprenticeship will work!" and she's nice so I don't mind. In fact, since my husband and I have no family within 3000 miles, I think we'll be a bit relieved to have an extra pair of hands at the birth, even if it's just to make hubby a cup of tea.

March 19th, 2010, 10:03 AM
Alison79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
She doesn't have an apprentice but she does have an assistant at the birth. I love her assistant and she has helped with both of our prior home births so I am very comfortable with her.

March 19th, 2010, 01:51 PM
BobbityBoo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
At my midwife office there are two main MW's and one part time MW, Tina. It will be one of the two main MW's at my birth. They always have at least one "assistant' attend the birth so that could be Tina, a student, or Tina and a student. Their office works closely with the Seattle Midwifery School, so they always have students in and out.

I haven't met them all yet, as I just had my first appt. with them at 30 weeks the other day. I will rotate through them all or nearly all. I guess if a student shows at the birth I may or may not know them. But I will know the main MW attending.

Thank you Kiliki for my wonderfull siggie!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search