Pediatrician

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 20th, 2010, 07:13 PM
Effervescence's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Our pediatrician knows that we are having an out of hospital birth, and she is fine with it. I asked her when we should make an appointment after the baby's birth, and she said any time within the first three weeks of the baby's life. How long do you usually wait to take Baby to be checked by the pedi? I'm kind of thinking that I want to take her within 48 hours of her birth. But that's because I really like our pedi and trust her not to push things on me. The pedi didn't think she needs to see her so soon. Am I just being paranoid? For those who have btdt, when did you take your baby to the pediatrician for the first time?

Click the blinkies!

Thank You, Pattyandthemoos, for my beautiful siggy!
March 20th, 2010, 07:44 PM
inyourhonor's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Your midwife should come do a home visit the day after and then probably 3 days after birth. Then you'll see your pedi around 6 weeks. My midwife still checked out Dane at my 6 week post partum visit and we were released to see his pedi after that. She took care of him until the 6 week PP visit.

I don't think she needs to be seen so soon because like I just said more than likely you'll still be in your midwifes care.

Have you discussed this with your midwife?

Killian Rivers born April 17th at 36 weeks

Killian's Birth Story
March 20th, 2010, 08:47 PM
Effervescence's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have not, I just thought about it tonight that it seemed like three weeks is an awfully long time not to have her seen. My midwife did tell me obviously that she will be taking the vitals etc soon after birth, but other than that she hasn't mentioned care for Evie, only for me. A visit 24 hours after the birth, and then in three weeks, for home visits, then a six week office visit.

Click the blinkies!

Thank You, Pattyandthemoos, for my beautiful siggy!
March 20th, 2010, 09:35 PM
inyourhonor's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think the first time my oldest saw his pedi was around 4-5 weeks.

Is there any specific reason you're concerned about getting her in so soon?

Killian Rivers born April 17th at 36 weeks

Killian's Birth Story
March 20th, 2010, 11:45 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
My midwife does the first 2 weeks of newborn care. Kya went to the pedi first at 2 weeks.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

March 21st, 2010, 12:32 PM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Most Midwives will do infant care for the first couple of weeks. If there is something specefic that you want done that your MW doesn't do then I can see going in (Like the hearing and eye test, or vaccines). We're going to take baby to see the Ped. around 2 weeks or so, mostly because our son is going to have his 3 year check up and we'll have him check out babe too.
March 21st, 2010, 01:05 PM
Alison79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My midwife does care for me and the baby for 6 weeks postpartum. I usually bring the baby in to see our Ped at about a week old just because we love our Ped and she always loves meeting the babies right away.

March 21st, 2010, 03:37 PM
MrsPil's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
M has never been to the pediatrician, we don't even have one, just a family practitioner (who she has also never seen). We did take her to the chiropractor the Monday or Tuesday after she was born (she was born on a Thursday... babymooning blur, sorry) because she was a little gassy and jumpy.

*TOTALLY OT* Most of it was at my moms prompting. I'm really hoping she won't be around to "help" so much this time - I'm realizing a lot of things that I though were good ideas at the time were just nuisances dictated to me by her fears.
"I trust birth—not birth attendants—for if you only trust birth that is attended then you really don't trust birth at all. You trust the attendant. And then you start over. Who? Doctor, surgeon, CNM, CPM, SIM? And it goes on and on...." - Carla Hartley
"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Gandhi
"What good fortune for those in power that people do not think." - Adolph Hitler

March 21st, 2010, 05:02 PM
laisydaisymama's Avatar Natural Birth Junkie
I will be planning on taking baby to the dr around 2 weeks old unless myself or my midwife sees a need before that. Right now I am trying to decide what to do about circumcision....

-Ginni-
homebirthing, tandem nursing, cosleeping, babywearing, picky vaxing, cloth diapering Christian doula mama

www.lovingbeginning.com
www.givingdiapersgivinghope.org

March 21st, 2010, 07:20 PM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
My midwives take care of all the newborn health needs during the first 6 weeks. I think we brought Kate to the ped around 4 or 5 weeks last time, I plan on doing the same thing this time as well.

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
March 22nd, 2010, 06:44 AM
Aeterna's Avatar Super Speshil
Henry was 5 days old when we took him in.

March 22nd, 2010, 03:15 PM
Super Mommy
My midwife does not do the newborn screening (PKU) so we took DD in on day 6. We waited until my milk was in to make sure the screening was accurate.

Earn free Amazon gift cards with SWAGBUCKS!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search