Strep B Test?

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 29th, 2010, 02:10 PM
Nightkd's Avatar First Time Mama!!
How is the Strep B test done in the US? Is it routine, even if you're using a mw for a homebirth?

March 29th, 2010, 02:26 PM
Cheryl_W's Avatar Izzy's Mom!
Send a message via MSN to Cheryl_W
IDK if it is routine, but from my research, it is just about the DUMBEST routine test and the DUMBEST routine medical procedure they force on women nowadays...

For example, approx 1 in 3 women will have active group B strep cultures in "those" areas. Out of the women who HAVE the cultures, approximately 1 in 4000 babies will get group b strep.

So for a condition that 1 in 12,000 babies get, 100% of women are subjected to the test and 1 in 3 are put on IV antibiotics during labor for it.

Oh, and did I mention the antibiotics aren't 100% effective, and if the baby gets GBS anyway it will be a strain that is resistant to antibiotics and is therefore more likely to cause death?

Or that the only antibiotics approved for GBS IV treatment nowadays is Penicillin, which is the most common antibiotic to be allergic to so many women can't even use the effective form of treatment anyway?

IDK whether it is routine or not with midwives in HBs, but I know it is routine in the doctor's office and I'm declining it if my midwife asks. Whats the point? I'm allergic to penicillin anyway, and if my baby DID get GBS I'd rather it get a strain that can be treated, no?

An article of interest : Treating Group B Strep: Are Antibiotics Necessary? - so you know I'm not just nutso LOL

Sorry if I sounded like I was ranting, but when I found out the truth about the GBS test I got SO angry at doctors for pushing that stuff on women! Ugh... LOL

Big huge hugz and thanks to tasha_mae for my beautiful siggy!

- and -
March 29th, 2010, 02:28 PM
GranolaMamaOf3's Avatar ~Heather~
My midwife wont require us to have it done (she doesn't "require" anything of us), but does recommend it, just to have on file, in the case that a transfer would be necessary, the hospital takes more kindly to you if you've had those things done.
Also, should it come back positive, she wont do as many vaginal exams (though she doesn't routinely do many anyway), just to be safe! (she may offer antibiotics, but I'm not sure, because I wouldn't want them)

March 29th, 2010, 04:28 PM
Platinum Supermommy
My midwives offer it, but don't require it. They do have antibiotics for use during labor if you want them as well, but they recommend using Hibiclens instead during labor if you are positive.

March 29th, 2010, 04:29 PM
PixieQueen's Avatar Hi-Tech Hippie
Send a message via Yahoo to PixieQueen
I declined the test, and did the Hibiclens. The Hibiclens is just an antiseptic wash that I squirted up there during early labor.

March 29th, 2010, 05:02 PM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
My midwives don't require it at all, but they do like the results on file in case of a transfer. Basically around here, if the baby ends up transfering and we don't have the results, then chances are the baby will receive a spinal tap. I figure, thats not a risk I want to take. I wouldn't do antibiotics during labor, but I will consent to doing the Strep B test just so I can prevent our baby from unnecessary tests.

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
March 29th, 2010, 05:33 PM
Oh, and to answer the earlier part of your question (how its done) - its a swab of the vaginal area and rectal areas, and the results take about 3 weeks to come back so you probably won't know until you're in labor whether you're positive or not.

And of course, because they're just checking for the bacteria not for the actual virus in your system, you can be positive when they test you and negative when you give birth - and vice versa.

- and -
March 29th, 2010, 08:12 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
I declined the test. I had been tested in previous pregnancies with negative results.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

March 29th, 2010, 08:52 PM
oriel13's Avatar Tishauna
It's not required by my midwife, none of the tests are actually. I was negative with DS and don't think I'll be having it done this time.

Though I do plan to ask her how that would impact things in a transfer situation - if not having GD and GBS tests on file would make interventions or c/s (or extra test/procedures for the baby) a guarantee or not.

March 30th, 2010, 05:29 AM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by oriel13 View Post
It's not required by my midwife, none of the tests are actually. I was negative with DS and don't think I'll be having it done this time.

Though I do plan to ask her how that would impact things in a transfer situation - if not having GD and GBS tests on file would make interventions or c/s (or extra test/procedures for the baby) a guarantee or not.
That is basically my reasoning as well. My midwives don't force any tests or procedures and I can opt out of whichever ones I want, including the newborn ones like Vitamin K, eye goop, and PKU... however if I ended up in the hospital as a transfer, or the baby had to be transferred for one reason or another, having the GBS test results on file can be useful. i'm sure all hospitals are different, the one that we'd transfer to is NOT NCB friendly and not so friendly when it comes to HB transfers either... my midwives have had a few babies that were born to mommies with unknown GBS results, and for one reason or another transferred to the hospital and ended up with spinal taps. I figure if I can prevent a spinal tap from happening to my baby by getting the GBS results on file, then I'll do that. I'd never treat GBS with antibiotics during labor, just want the results on file.

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
March 30th, 2010, 05:44 AM
inyourhonor's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I declined it my last pregnancy and will this one. My midwife offers it but doesn't push it. I was negative with my hospital birth so I didn't bother.

Killian Rivers born April 17th at 36 weeks

Killian's Birth Story
March 30th, 2010, 08:27 AM
flitabout's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Not really sure If I will because if I end up with a transfer I will end up with another c/s so it isn't like it really matters. I doubt I will do it.

March 31st, 2010, 10:10 AM
Thanks for the replies. I'll talk to my MW tonight...Was just curious and it's good to have some points of view!

I said to DH last night that from what I've read about it, they do the test at about 37 weeks(?) but it's something that can come and go very quickly, so coming up negative at 37 weeks doesn't mean jack if I go into labour at 40, 41, 42 weeks and so on... I read there were homeopathic remedies that could be used instead of antibiotics? Can anyone enlighten me on that?

I'll enquire with the MW about the antiseptic wash idea too, I much prefer the thought of that to putting antibiotics into mine and my baby's system (heck, I hated taking them for a UTI and tried alternatives before deciding to just clear it up and work harder at preventing reoccurring infections)...

Thanks again for reading and replying!

xx

April 1st, 2010, 04:20 PM
Platinum Supermommy
(hey...I usually lurk...lol) but wanted to chip in here....I did the strep B testing...it wasn't "required" but it was recommended from my MWs...simply because if we got transferred...the hospitals here would automatically give you antibiotics if there was no test on file...so to avoid that I did it...I knew it'd be neg. but I did it anyway just to be safe...it was our first birthing center birth...

We aren't to give a baby milk, berries, or peanut butter. We are to introduce new foods one at a time. But it's OK to inject several viruses, bacteria, aluminum, formaldehyde, phenoxyethanol, animal serum, mercury, squalene and more into an 8 week old? I don't think so.
In order to be healthy it is an unfortunate fact that people must be allowed the opportunity to be ill. I trust my body and those of my children to work correctly against the relatively benign diseases they vax for, and do not trust the ingredients in the vaccinations.
Our choice to not vax isn't based in ignorance, poverty, conspiracy theory and rumor. It's research, common sense, fact and evidence based..something the medical community has largely forgot about.
April 2nd, 2010, 07:47 AM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I did it with my first, was negative. Not doing it with this one, and have never been asked by my MW either.
April 3rd, 2010, 04:48 PM
I asked my MW if she did the testing and she said yes. I asked how and she said that they'll give me a swab to wipe around up there, put into a container and then they send it off to the lab (the same lab who we've only just sorted a HUGE mistake on a previous bill with...) and it will cost something like $80...

Is it worth it then? I take it anyone can have the bacteria?

April 5th, 2010, 01:24 PM
Anyone can have it, and you can make your test results false anyway by just using an antibacterial wash really thoroughly before you do it - like the MWs do if you birth at home regardless of the test. So I'd say, for $80 with a lab like that, unless you'd automatically be given IV antibiotics if you were transferred to a hospital because you don't have a test on file - I'd skip it. But I'm not a doc, so don't take my advice as gospel

- and -
April 5th, 2010, 02:05 PM
c'est_la_vie's Avatar Is it nap time yet?
I will find out Thursday if my potential Midwife does it - but I doubt it. But isn't this a fairly recent thing anyways? My friends first daughter who is almost 5 - she was never tested for it. I remember, I had to drive her to all her appointments, LOL.

April 5th, 2010, 02:42 PM
Thank you. I asked someone else who just had a homebirth (3rd child) and she said that she paid for the test to be done and then when she was in labour they tested her again - she asked why and said that she'd already been tested and the MW told her that it was because the results could have changed by that point! What's the point in having it done then, if when you go into labour, the test results could be different ANYWAY?

I just read all the warnings about what Strep B infection can do to a newborn and it worries me...but then if the test isn't actually going to necessarily prevent that, what's the point?

I might send my MW an email, she must've had people refuse it before....

x

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search