When you discovered the truth...

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 29th, 2010, 03:38 PM
Cheryl_W's Avatar Izzy's Mom!
Send a message via MSN to Cheryl_W
... were you angry? I'm finding myself getting more and more angry the more research I do... And I mean REALLY angry - DH's cousin said something to me the other day and I almost went up one side of her and down the other.

Like, for example, epidurals. They're routine, and safe - at least, that is what they say. Oh, but what is this?

Phentenol, the drug used in epidurals, is an opiate 100 times more powerful than morphine and 300 times stronger than heroin. It is given in a dose that, if given directly to your child, would cause severe brain damage IF it didn't kill them. And for up to 6 weeks following the birth, because your baby's liver can't process the complex chemicals, they'll exhibit the signs of heroin or morphine use.

Say WHAT?!?!?

Or the Group B Strep test and IV antibiotics given to 1 in 3 women. Only 1 in 12000 babies will be born with the condition, and it is rare for a baby who wasn't subjected to the IV antibiotics to be untreated after a simple course of their OWN antibiotics? But it can cause fatal superbugs and allergic reactions in mommies who are allergic to penicillin, like me. Mhmmm...

Am I the only one who is getting angry that I was never told any of this? Am I just over reacting, or is it crazy that women out there get shunned and scolded for a sip of red wine during pregnancy, but high doses of morphine or phentenol during labor are perfectly acceptable?

Should the public not be more aware of the real risks and side effects of these things, and instead of condemning mommies who smoke or take a sip of beer or drive down a bumpy road, start making it more known that vaccines, routine GBS IV antibiotics, routine epidurals and other drugs are MORE dangerous and cause MORE harm???

I'm sorry, I've tried to quit smoking - and every time I do, I vomit NONSTOP until I have a ciggarette. Not even kidding. Vomiting for hours on end, unable to even keep water down, until I smoke. I've had friends and family GIVING me cigarettes because they want me to stop throwing up.

And I get chastised for choosing FOOD for my baby over quitting smoking, by the very same women who will think nothing of getting a big ol' shot of morphine (essentially medicinal heroin) in the *** during their labor, as many times as they ask for it.

Isn't something wrong here????

Big huge hugz and thanks to tasha_mae for my beautiful siggy!

- and -
March 29th, 2010, 05:59 PM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
I get angry at times as well... I go back and forth with being angry at women for NOT researching their options and taking responsibility for their choices... then I get angry at the Doctors and care providers for not educating their patients about these risks and making all these interventions so routine.

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
March 29th, 2010, 08:28 PM
Sk8ermaiden's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yes, it pisses me off to no end.

March 29th, 2010, 08:55 PM
inyourhonor's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkle View Post
i get angry at times as well... I go back and forth with being angry at women for not researching their options and taking responsibility for their choices... Then i get angry at the doctors and care providers for not educating their patients about these risks and making all these interventions so routine.
ditto ditto ditto!

Killian Rivers born April 17th at 36 weeks

Killian's Birth Story
March 30th, 2010, 09:38 AM
flitabout's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I agree! Do you mind it if I post this on my ddc?

March 30th, 2010, 12:41 PM
Cheryl_W's Avatar Izzy's Mom!
Send a message via MSN to Cheryl_W
Wow definitely not, I don't mind at all. It was just some thoughts I was having after said run-in with DH's cousin... I couldn't decide who to be more angry at - her, for not doing her OWN homework and finding out the truth, or the doctors for not telling anyone the truth.

I'm glad I'm not alone in the anger thing, I was starting to feel bad about wanting to lash out sometimes LOL

Big huge hugz and thanks to tasha_mae for my beautiful siggy!

- and -
March 30th, 2010, 10:23 PM
soImarriedAnerd's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I quit working on a Labor and delivery unit because I would get to pissed off at the DRs and many of the other nurses. So I'm right there with you!
March 31st, 2010, 07:52 AM
Mega Super Mommy
My poor DS had abx during his totally managed hospital birth. The worst part was I knew better, I just got caught off guard with GBS+ and went into labor that same week with my water breaking. I feel SO BADLY about his birth

His sister however, was born 100% naturally at home so at least I got that one right!

March 31st, 2010, 08:10 AM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yup I get angry. I get angry at Doctors for not fully informing women, at them for doing things behind women's backs and using them as guinea pigs, and I get mad at them for not respecting the wishes of women. I do get mad at women sometimes for not doing research, but then I find it hard to fully get mad at them since there are so many conflicting research on a lot of things and it's hard to tell who is telling the truth sometimes. I understand wanting to trust your Doctor, but you also have to trust yourself.
March 31st, 2010, 09:41 AM
Isaeph's Avatar Jennifer the Momma
I totally agree with Twinkle. And I get mad at mothers, MILs, and other older "trusted" women who belittle the young mothers TRYING to do the best thing and make educated decisions.

Crunchy, conservative, Christian, homeschooling, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, not-vaccinating, cloth-diapering, baby-wearing, ec-ing, unassisted-birthing, breastmilk donating, Momma to 7yo, 4yo, 2yo, 2mo.
March 31st, 2010, 11:14 AM
Nightkd's Avatar First Time Mama!!
Yeah, I get angry. I start ranting at DH/the TV seeing women being pumped full of drugs they don't need and put into positions that make it harder for them to birth, before being told that they 'need' a C-Section because they've been in labour for over 8 hours(!!!) now....

I'm from the UK too, so some of the 'routine' things over here make me even more shocked and angry.

x

March 31st, 2010, 12:55 PM
Mom.to.PinknBlue's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
totally jumping in my from my DDC, but I agree with you. This does make me angry. Women need to do their own research to make an informed decision. And not trust what a doctor is telling them.
March 31st, 2010, 04:54 PM
Platinum Supermommy
ditto.
and people are TERRIBLE at understanding risk. Like - flying - really extreemly low risk. - basically anything that makes the news is super low risk. sigh.

Thank you Kiliki for my first beautiful Siggie!

mom of 2 angels and an earth baby

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search