Plastic Sheets?

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 11th, 2010, 10:10 AM
BobbityBoo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I know some, if not most want or did do a water birth therefore had a birthing tub. But I am not planning having a water birth... so for those who didn't do a water birth, did you get plastic sheets? I really want to buy some but the only kind I can seem to find are the kind you put the entire matress in and then zip up. I was really hoping for a fitted plastic sheet you can just put on like a normal sheet than put fabric sheets over it! Does that not exist? Or even a large plastic sheet/tarp (not that thick tho) to lay over and put a fitted sheet over?

Any suggestions??

I can just picture DH cusing up a storm trying to fit the entire matress in it!

Thank you Kiliki for my wonderfull siggie!
April 11th, 2010, 10:51 AM
inyourhonor's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had a planned water birth but didn't have him in the water or my bed. However its a requirement from my midwife to have one because also of post partum bleeding, incase you gush some and it gets onto your sheets (where you should have icky sheets you don't mind getting all nasty) and it won't stain your mattress.

The only kind we could find were the zip up ones. We have a queen mattress with a pillow top. My husband was annoyed but got it on there.

Killian Rivers born April 17th at 36 weeks

Killian's Birth Story
April 11th, 2010, 12:21 PM
laisydaisymama's Avatar Natural Birth Junkie
I have a waterproof mattress pad already, so I'm not too worried. Worst case scenario, I'll throw it away and get a new one....

I found these
Walmart.com: Naturepedic Organic Waterproof Mattress Pad: Furniture
Walmart.com: Quiet Comfort Waterproof Mattress Pad: Furniture -that's like I have
Walmart.com: Dignity Reusable Waterproof Mattress Protector 36"X80" Poly/Vinyl Flatquilted 1/EA: Home Medical
Walmart.com: Flannel and Rubber Waterproof Sheeting: Personal Care

-Ginni-
homebirthing, tandem nursing, cosleeping, babywearing, picky vaxing, cloth diapering Christian doula mama

www.lovingbeginning.com
www.givingdiapersgivinghope.org

April 11th, 2010, 12:29 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
We just got painters plastic sheeting and layered a nice clean sheet, then the plastic, then a crappy (but clean) sheet on top of that. Made it easy to just take off the crappy sheet and plastic and have a nice clean covering on the bed afterwards

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

April 11th, 2010, 01:17 PM
Platinum Supermommy
The birth kit I bought came with a big plastic sheet to lay over your sheets. We had my regular sheets under it, then the plastic sheet, then another set of sheets on top with chux pads all over that. Cleanup was super easy since the midwives just stripped the top sheets and tossed the plastic sheet and I was able to crawl right back into bed.

April 11th, 2010, 03:50 PM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
You can buy some at a mattress store. That is where we got ours. We're planning a waterbirth, but we do co-sleep with a potty learning toddler. It was also suggested by my Midwife to use a tarp underneath the sheets in case my water breaks in bed and for postpartum.
April 11th, 2010, 06:38 PM
BobbityBoo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thanks for all the suggestions ladies!! I think I might get the painter's plastic for the birth and then a mattress pad for later while co-sleeping!

Thank you Kiliki for my wonderfull siggie!
April 11th, 2010, 09:38 PM
Sk8ermaiden's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Seriously, go to WalMart, and in the paint section are super cheap, thin plastic dropcloths. Buy one that is a good bit bigger than your bed and put clean, nice, snuggly sheets on your bed. Then put on the dropcloth and tuck it in like a fitted sheet. Then put your cheapo throwaway sheets on top. Then you can birth on the top sheet, pull the top two layers off together, and have nice clean sheets underneath to snuggle down in.

April 12th, 2010, 05:23 AM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8ermaiden View Post
Seriously, go to WalMart, and in the paint section are super cheap, thin plastic dropcloths. Buy one that is a good bit bigger than your bed and put clean, nice, snuggly sheets on your bed. Then put on the dropcloth and tuck it in like a fitted sheet. Then put your cheapo throwaway sheets on top. Then you can birth on the top sheet, pull the top two layers off together, and have nice clean sheets underneath to snuggle down in.
That sounds like the best idea! We didn't properly plan for this after the birth and DH spent a bit of time remaking the bed before I could lay down. I definitely don't want to deal with that sort of situation again this time and will be planning a bit better.

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
April 15th, 2010, 06:20 PM
GranolaMamaOf3's Avatar ~Heather~
I am planning a water birth, but I know that sometimes things don't go as planned! So we will do as my sister did with her HB...Go to Goodwill, buy two cheep sheet sets, and get two tarps from wherever. The layer tarp, sheet, tarp, sheet...That way after the birth, you just strip the top layer off, and can clime right back in...but just in case of heavy bleeding, you still have a layer of protection (at least for that first night!)
They also use chux throughout the labor, so they could be changed out regularly!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search