I could use a hug ...**Updated #12**

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 22nd, 2010, 11:44 AM
Alison79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
On Tuesday at my prenatal my midwife commented that my fluid levels were high. She wasn't able to assess the position of the baby because there was so much fluid and I was measuring over 2 weeks ahead. Normally I measure a week or two behind dates. Then last night I started having contractions, coming as frequently as 3-5 minutes apart and after several hours of resting, drinking fluids, etc I gave her a call and she suggested trying a bath and if they didn't stop to go in to the hospital since I am only 27 weeks. Thankfully they started to space out and finally stopped. She called today with some recommendations including not lifting my children, not exercising for a while, decreasing my sodium intake, taking a homeopathic remedy, more frequent chiropractor visits and epsom salt baths for an hour a day. She will reassess my fluid levels and if needed I will do another sono to get an actual measurement. My sono at 20 weeks was normal.

I am totally fine with all of that, I adore my midwife and I know she has my and baby's best interests in mind at all times. I'm just sad that this may be a bigger issue and I might not be able to have my home birth. My last two births were so wonderful and this being my last baby I just never even thought about the possibility that it wouldn't be the same. I know that ultimately having a healthy and safe delivery is the most important and having hospital births before I know what to expect, I just don't want it that way. I feel a bit like my 4 year old ... "But I don't wanna" *stomps foot* So, hopefully all these measures will help decrease the fluid a little and that we find there is nothing wrong with the baby, just some extra fluid. I posted here because I know you ladies will understand - even if I have to have a hospital birth I will work hard to make sure it is a natural birth

Last edited by Alison79; April 28th, 2010 at 12:35 PM.
April 22nd, 2010, 11:47 AM
birdblue's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
*hug*

Thank you so much Jaidynsmum for the beautiful siggy!

April 22nd, 2010, 06:40 PM
Effervescence's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
hugs hun! that has to be stressful, and I totally understand your feelings. I'll be keeping you in my thoughts that your fluid level goes down!

Click the blinkies!

Thank You, Pattyandthemoos, for my beautiful siggy!
April 22nd, 2010, 07:57 PM
laisydaisymama's Avatar Natural Birth Junkie
big hugs!!! I would probably request an ultrasound next week just to ease my own mind, then you can see if the levels are just kind of high, or alarmingly so, and be reassured that baby is fine.

-Ginni-
homebirthing, tandem nursing, cosleeping, babywearing, picky vaxing, cloth diapering Christian doula mama

www.lovingbeginning.com
www.givingdiapersgivinghope.org

April 22nd, 2010, 11:49 PM
CameraLinds's Avatar Zane & Jude's mama

April 23rd, 2010, 05:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by laisydaisymama View Post
big hugs!!! I would probably request an ultrasound next week just to ease my own mind, then you can see if the levels are just kind of high, or alarmingly so, and be reassured that baby is fine.
That's what we are going to do. My midwife stopped by yesterday to check my glucose and see if that might be the cause. The random glucose was normal but I am going to have a 2 hour one run early next week just to completely rule that out as a cause. I was able to ask quite a few questions about the next steps and I feel better that I am not automatically risked out if the fluid levels are over the high end of normal, I just have to go for a consult with an OB and try to get the levels down. If they come down and stay down I can still birth at home which is great. If for some reason they don't then I would transfer care and I am okay with that since I know the risks and it's one of those times I'm glad there is hospital care available to help us make sure our baby arrives safely. So, after being able to talk things through with my wonderful midwife I feel like we have a good plan and I'll definitely know more by next week. Still have my fingers crossed that the levels are down on their own and we don't have to deal with lots of extra sonos and referrals but we'll manage if they aren't. The good thing is that at 20 weeks the baby's heart, kidneys and ability to swallow were all completely normal so it is unlikely there is anything wrong with the baby which is a relief.

Thanks for all the support, I really appreciate it!

April 23rd, 2010, 07:44 AM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
{{hugs}}

I had too much fluid with my 3rd pregnancy, and that doctor (this was before I knew to keep away from OB's) had me so worried- I was on a very restrictive diet, going in for weekly scans... I was convinced something horrible would happen. He told me I *had* to get to the hospital before my water broke or I'd end up with cord prolapse and loose the baby.

Needless to say- nothing came of it and Daniel was born w/o complications. But I do understand your worry. You and Baby will be in my prayers.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

April 23rd, 2010, 08:05 AM
oriel13's Avatar Tishauna
I'm glad you and your midwife have a good plan. It sounds like you're in really good hands with her, I hope you still get the home birth you want though!

April 23rd, 2010, 08:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhmomofmany View Post
{{hugs}}

I had too much fluid with my 3rd pregnancy, and that doctor (this was before I knew to keep away from OB's) had me so worried- I was on a very restrictive diet, going in for weekly scans... I was convinced something horrible would happen. He told me I *had* to get to the hospital before my water broke or I'd end up with cord prolapse and loose the baby.

Needless to say- nothing came of it and Daniel was born w/o complications. But I do understand your worry. You and Baby will be in my prayers.
Thank you so much for sharing your experience! It's nice to hear the normal outcomes which I am sure far outweigh the not so good ones.

My midwife is usually very non-interventive so I appreciate that she wants to rule out the easy fixes like diet if that's the cause before jumping to extra sonos and consults.It's so nice to have a provider that looks at the whole picture, I am sure if I had been under the care of an OB things would have already been very different.

April 23rd, 2010, 11:58 AM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
Lots of hugs, prayers and positive thoughts. Please keep us posted. I'm glad you have such a great relationship with your midwife, I'm sure that makes a world of difference.

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
April 27th, 2010, 07:36 PM
GranolaMamaOf3's Avatar ~Heather~
((HUGS))) Praying everything works out!

Sorry if this is a dumb question...but other than a cord prolapse, what are the risks?? I didn't realize high fluid levels were a concern. Or is it more of a concern as to *why* they are so high (like what's causing it?)??

April 28th, 2010, 09:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirthDoulaToBe View Post
((HUGS))) Praying everything works out!

Sorry if this is a dumb question...but other than a cord prolapse, what are the risks?? I didn't realize high fluid levels were a concern. Or is it more of a concern as to *why* they are so high (like what's causing it?)??
A little bit of both - trying to determine cause as well as potential risk of having high fluid itself. Like you mentioned, cord prolapse can be an issue as well as placental abruption. There is also an increased risk for preterm labor which is why she was concerned because I was having contractions. Some of the causes can be gestational diabetes and Rh factor so we ruled those out.

On a good note, my 2 hour glucose test was normal and when she palpated the baby today she said there seemed to be a little more baby and a little less fluid so that was great news. She feels that while they are higher levels for me they are likely just at the high end of normal range and not abnormal which is great! I don't need a consult or another sono and I can resume exercise and just keep a watch on the contractions.So, I'll just keep with my every two week visits and we know the steps to take if my water were to break and there was a cord presenting. Otherwise it looks like we should be able to have our homebirth assuming the levels stay stable.

April 28th, 2010, 10:23 AM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
What good news!!! I'm glad things are going well!!

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
April 28th, 2010, 12:09 PM
Platinum Supermommy
!!!!!

Thank you Kiliki for my first beautiful Siggie!

mom of 2 angels and an earth baby
April 29th, 2010, 01:29 AM
CameraLinds's Avatar Zane & Jude's mama
good news Alison! hope it continues to stay that way for you! GL!

April 29th, 2010, 08:00 PM
GranolaMamaOf3's Avatar ~Heather~
Oh good!!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search