Home birth advice

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 23rd, 2010, 04:51 PM
lulu2's Avatar Veteran
Hi Ladies!
I've been lurking a bit and spend most of my time on the October 2010 board but have some questions about home births for those of you who have had them in the past. What are some things you were not prepared for that you would change if/when you do it again? Specifically, I'm wondering about things you may have not had and wanted or things that bothered you when you were in labor and wished you could have changed. Also, did you have your other children present, or would you? I love reading home birth stories, especially photo gallery's so if you know of any good ones, that would be nice to know too. Am I rambling? Thanks for reading.
Amanda
April 23rd, 2010, 06:09 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
The only thing I might change next time is putting up some kind of barrier between the birth tub and where my kiddos are. I love having them present, but my 2 year old felt the need to circle the tub bumping her belly on it, which made the water jostle my belly - which didn't feel so great! My sister took the kids in the other room, but really I want them to be free to move about as they like and not have to be confined. So maybe I'll get one of those big circular gates or something to block them a bit away from the tub

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

April 24th, 2010, 11:05 AM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
I don't really have anything that I'd necessarily change. We had a waterbirth in our living room in the middle of the night. It was pretty peaceful, as my older girls were sleeping. Unfortunately since we had stairs, I couldn't go up the stairs after the birth, so I was kinda stuck downstairs for a few days. That made it hard to recover and relax (my bedroom is much more relaxing than the couch in the living room, kwim?).

Anyways, this time we have moved, and our living area is all on one floor, so I'm happy about birthing in my bedroom and being able to recover there as well.

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
April 24th, 2010, 03:36 PM
lulu2's Avatar Veteran
Thanks, that all makes sense. I guess I'm worried about having our daughter around as I don't want to scare her, but if I explain it she may want to be around. We'll have to ask her and have the grandparents as back ups. All good points!
April 24th, 2010, 05:06 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
I loved having my kiddos there. My suggestion is to have her watch some birth videos (preview some on youtube). Talk to her about what's going on, how exciting it is that a baby is coming, etc... She's probably old enough to somewhat understand. She'll be closing in on 4 by the time baby arrives, she can have a "job" to do - getting blankets for the baby, or something (my oldest had the job of announcing the gender to everyone).

You have plenty of time for prep. There are kids books out there about birth that are great for helping them understand. As she watches videos you can gauge her reaction a bit and know how she might react. As you get closer you can stress to her the importance of staying quiet, etc. Let her know before and DURING that you are okay, let her know she can go to her room if she wants, she doesn't have to stay. I explained it to my daughters that mommy's tummy has to squeeze really hard to push the baby out and that it hurts, but it's okay.

You might also find someone you are comfortable with who can be there for her, preferably someone she knows who can comfort her and talk to her during the birth and take her away if she seems upset.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

April 24th, 2010, 05:33 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I wouldn't change anything about my home birth. Lily was in the house for the birth, she was 19.5 months at the time. She was distracting me early on so my best friend and my stepdad watched her downstairs while I labored upstairs. She came into the room immediately after Violet was born to see her.

April 25th, 2010, 10:38 AM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The only thing I would have changed was to not call everyone so early. I was in labor for about 5 or so hours when I called everyone, and once they showed up things slowed down. It kept speeding up and slowing down for almost the entire day. We were originally going to have our son present, but I didn't give birth until 1:50 am so he was long asleep with his Noni.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search