Ultrasound Question

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 27th, 2010, 01:22 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I am dealing with a subchorionic hematoma. This is the third pregnancy that I've had this, one live birth, one loss at 12 weeks. (just this past December) Being that I homebirth and have a wonderful lay midwife, ultrasound and such are not part of my normal pregnancy routine. We only do them if need be.

I had some spotting at 6 weeks and because of our previous loss, midwife ordered me an ultrasound that showed a healthy baby and the SCH. I spotted a bit and had a few big red gushes just before 8 weeks - another ultrasound at 8 weeks still showed our healthy baby and the stupid SCH - which had not gotten bigger or smaller.

I put myself on modified bedrest and pelvic rest. The bleeding completely stopped. So after a week of no bleeding at 9 weeks, I went back to normal activity - everything has been okay, so after two weeks of no bleeding at 10 weeks, we resumed marital intimacy. (YAY!!) Still no bleeding Praise God.

So I know these things can quickly resorb with or without bleeding, or they can get bigger with or without bleeding. No rhyme or reason. I am trying to decide if we should have another ultrasound or not. I am not convinced of their safety, especially in early pregnancy and I've already had two. And on top of that I purchased a doppler, which has been a great comfort, but I have concerns over their safety also.

Midwife is leaving it up to me, which I appreciate. Dh leans toward having another around 12 weeks. I just don't know. If I'm not bleeding, and carrying on like my normal active self and everything seems fine - why bother?

What would you fellow homebirthing mamas do? Thanks!

Mama to:
Nick, 18
Abby, 16
Gabe, 14
Isaac, 12
Mary-Kate, 11
Sam, 9
Henry, 8
Molly, 7
Mark, 5
Greta, 4
Cecilia,2
Josephine,1
Baby due Jan. 2014
April 27th, 2010, 02:12 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
Me personally, I wouldn't have an ultrasound unless there was some sign that one is indicated... like you said, if everything is okay why bother? OTOH, if you would have a difficult time with worrying, then the peace of mind might be enough to warrant an ultrasound despite the potential risks.

BTW, I don't know if you remember me, but we were in the same DDC for September 07. Congratulations on another baby...! I love the avatar.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

April 27th, 2010, 05:24 PM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
I agree with Jennifer. Unless you felt there was a need to have one, your symptoms continued or whatnot, then I'd probably not have one... unless of course it would provide you or your DH with a piece of mind. I personally think that worrying about it can be just as hard on you physically and mentally. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
April 27th, 2010, 07:17 PM
inyourhonor's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I agree with Jennifer and Christine. I would have it if you feel that one is needed. Otherwise, I'd pass. Good luck with your decision and let us know what you decide to do.

Killian Rivers born April 17th at 36 weeks

Killian's Birth Story
April 27th, 2010, 08:38 PM
laisydaisymama's Avatar Natural Birth Junkie
I would be inclined to have one once you clear the first trimester, to see if it has resolved completely, or is just dormant.

But I am a person that is comfortable with the safety of ultrasounds.

-Ginni-
homebirthing, tandem nursing, cosleeping, babywearing, picky vaxing, cloth diapering Christian doula mama

www.lovingbeginning.com
www.givingdiapersgivinghope.org

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search