Full Term?

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 7th, 2010, 01:23 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
When did they change the def. of full term? I was *always* told 38 completed weeks is "full term" and that delivering anytime within two weeks of your due date is "on time". Now 36 weeks (some girls in the DDCs are being told 34 weeks!) is full term, and 39 weeks is past due?? Really, what's the deal?

I suspect it has something to do with the rising incidence of premature birth which has (thankfully!) led to better medical care of preemies. Everybody knows somebody who had their baby in the 7th-8th month and "that baby turned out fine". Hey, why be pregnant 9 months when you can get the job done in less time? Could this be another symptom of the "assembly line" style of hospital/OB care? "Get 'er in, get 'er out, here's my bill, who's next"

Makes me wonder...

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

May 7th, 2010, 02:51 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
I really REALLY dont' like that women are being told that. 37 weeks is considered "not premature" but that's not the same thing as full term. I don't understand why you would want baby to come early...sigh....

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

May 7th, 2010, 03:24 PM
laisydaisymama's Avatar Natural Birth Junkie
I consider anything after 36 weeks to be term, but I had one 2 days shy of 34 weeks and he spent 18 days in the NICU. I think after 36 weeks if baby comes on their own schedule, odds are they will be mature. I also know people that were induced at 37-38 weeks and dealt with respiratory distress.

Most place call 36 weeks term because that is the point at which they won't attempt to stop your labor if it starts on it's own.

-Ginni-
homebirthing, tandem nursing, cosleeping, babywearing, picky vaxing, cloth diapering Christian doula mama

www.lovingbeginning.com
www.givingdiapersgivinghope.org

May 7th, 2010, 08:01 PM
Effervescence's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My midwife told me that 36 weeks is when she can legally attend a birth outside of a hospital, but I still think that is way early. I've always been told 38-42 weeks is "term." I was kind of thinking that if Evie did decide to come at 36 weeks, I'd be more comfortable in the hospital so if she did have premature problems, we'd be prepared. But I think if she came this week (37 weeks) I'd be a little more open to birthing her at home, but we'd definitely er on the side of caution kwim? It still seems way early

Click the blinkies!

Thank You, Pattyandthemoos, for my beautiful siggy!
May 7th, 2010, 08:56 PM
Isaeph's Avatar Jennifer the Momma
I've read both 36w and 38w. Israel was born at 35w6d. He breathed perfectly, but he did have troubles maintaining his temp (thank goodness he wasn't a hospital birth or I'm sure they would have taken him to the incubator). He couldn't stay warm in clothes and a blanket the first few days, so I wore him in my shirt. He ate fine too. I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable birthing all my babies that early, but I felt extreme peace about it and prayed a LOT...so yeah. Both my boys were born early, ds1 was 37w6d, but dd was 39w3d...so I'm not sure how comfortable I'd feel having a girl that early. My little brother on the other hand was born around the same time and had preemie eating issues, reflux, and who knows...probably breathing issues too, my parents smoked IN THE HOUSE...and they still let her take him home that day. For shame. It was 1984 though...I doubt they'd do that now.

Crunchy, conservative, Christian, homeschooling, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, not-vaccinating, cloth-diapering, baby-wearing, ec-ing, unassisted-birthing, breastmilk donating, Momma to 7yo, 4yo, 2yo, 2mo.
May 7th, 2010, 10:28 PM
oriel13's Avatar Tishauna
My midwife said she can deliver me at home any time after 36 weeks. Now neither of us really consider that full term as we'd prefer baby to bake as long as he needs. But that's the cutoff when the state says baby's not premature and that she can legally attend the birth.

May 8th, 2010, 09:00 AM
inyourhonor's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by oriel13 View Post
My midwife said she can deliver me at home any time after 36 weeks. Now neither of us really consider that full term as we'd prefer baby to bake as long as he needs. But that's the cutoff when the state says baby's not premature and that she can legally attend the birth.
Same for us

Killian Rivers born April 17th at 36 weeks

Killian's Birth Story
May 8th, 2010, 11:29 AM
_Brandy_'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to _Brandy_
Actually, the new term is "near-term" which is 34 to 36w 6 days

but too many care providers are willing to call less than 37 weeks "term"

May 8th, 2010, 06:14 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I like the 37 week thing - because it meant I would be allowed to have the baby at home. I'm 38 and counting - so yeah! but I was really worried about baby being early so I was happy to know I got a whole 5 weeks of ok to be at home time. (I was born at 32 1/2 weeks and only spent 11 days in the nicu)
I think babies can come later or earlier than 40 and be just fine - so I like the not stopping them at that point - however I think it's a lousy excuse for early inductions!!!!

Thank you Kiliki for my first beautiful Siggie!

mom of 2 angels and an earth baby
May 8th, 2010, 06:47 PM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think a lot of those women are misunderstood. Like another said that's "near term" and doesnt' mean baby is ready, even if he/she comes on their own. Here it's 38-42 weeks is term. My MW does deliver at 37 weeks, but I don't know if I'd be comfortable with that. My son came at 39 weeks 3 days, 8lbs and was pink when he came out and breathing.
May 8th, 2010, 06:55 PM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by oriel13 View Post
Here it is 37 weeks. I don't like hearing about inductions of convenience at 37, 38 or even 39 weeks for that matter. I believe babies come when they are ready, whether its at 39 weeks or at 42.

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
May 8th, 2010, 08:01 PM
LJD3Tdance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LJD3Tdance Send a message via Yahoo to LJD3Tdance
I've always heard 37 weeks is full-term, 38 weeks is the beginning of the 2 weeks before and 2 weeks after your due date due date range...34 weeks though? That's super nuts, they're premies then.

May 9th, 2010, 04:38 AM
c'est_la_vie's Avatar Is it nap time yet?
It drives me nuts when doctors think 37 weeks is a good time to "take" baby before any POSSIBLE problems.. REALLY? Thats insane. I consider full term to be when my baby wants to come out, not when others thing its a good time..

May 9th, 2010, 07:37 AM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
How horrible.

It is the assembly line fiasco

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

May 16th, 2010, 06:37 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhmomofmany View Post
When did they change the def. of full term? I was *always* told 38 completed weeks is "full term" and that delivering anytime within two weeks of your due date is "on time". Now 36 weeks (some girls in the DDCs are being told 34 weeks!) is full term, and 39 weeks is past due?? Really, what's the deal?

I suspect it has something to do with the rising incidence of premature birth which has (thankfully!) led to better medical care of preemies. Everybody knows somebody who had their baby in the 7th-8th month and "that baby turned out fine". Hey, why be pregnant 9 months when you can get the job done in less time? Could this be another symptom of the "assembly line" style of hospital/OB care? "Get 'er in, get 'er out, here's my bill, who's next"

Makes me wonder...
It was coined a "baby-mill" by a friend of mine...
May 22nd, 2010, 06:24 PM
LJD3Tdance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LJD3Tdance Send a message via Yahoo to LJD3Tdance
My midwife reminded me of this thread this week cuz she said I was past the pre-term stage...I'm 36 weeks, so I was kinda confused by her comment...

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search