I've returned with a question...

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 8th, 2010, 06:49 PM
LJD3Tdance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LJD3Tdance Send a message via Yahoo to LJD3Tdance
OK, so I'm back, I'm not really considering home birth again, it seems to late to try to consider this now (34 weeks pregnant and I don't think my midwife does home births.) However, I've recently discovered she's breech and I thought I'd come ask you ladies cuz you might understand how I feel and nobody else seems to.

I'm really opposed to the idea of a c-section. I don't think mother's who have c-sections have somehow failed at motherhood or anything like that, but I think me having a c-section is not a good deal. I feel like it is better for babies to be born vaginally for many reasons, and I'm not trying to offend anybody by saying that, so hopefully nobody takes offense to it.

I keep running into people who just keep telling me it isn't a big deal, and they're probably right that her being breech with me being only 34 weeks isn't a huge deal, but they're talking about the c-section possibility, and I think it is a big deal. I remember after my appendectomy that I had only 3 weeks after having my first child I woke up after all the pain killers wore off in more pain than I had (at that point) ever been in. So the idea of trying to deal with those killer after birth breastfeeding pains and dealing with the pain of a surgery and not having the wonderful vaginal birth experience I've had 3 times before (I have complaints, but they were all 3 wonderful in their own way) just doesn't sound like a good deal.

So bare with me and pretend I've fastforwarded 4 to 6 weeks and she's still breech...what do I do then? I'm not researched on anything about breech babies cuz my others all just did what they were supposed to...which there is still time for her to do too, I just think now I'd probably better start researching!

May 8th, 2010, 08:08 PM
flitabout's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
First things first you do have time. Start with spinning babies, and a webster trained Chiropractor. Also see how your m/w feels about doing a breech delivery. I have had 3 c/s and would recommend that you avoid it at all costs. If you get to the day see about both the external and internal version.
If you do end up in a position of having a c/s, don't let them schedule you, they can do what is called a planned C/S rather than the elective c/s. That gives you the best chance for the baby to turn on his own. But start looking now for someone willing to attend a breech birth.
I would really suggest you hit the V-bac board the ladies there can give you tuns of info!

May 9th, 2010, 10:48 AM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
I would definitely try all the suggestion on the Spinning Babies site to help your baby girl turn. A good chiropractor will help as well.. I also agree that you should explore the option of a breech vaginal birth with your midwife... you can't be forced into a c-section and delivering breech is possible and safe with a trained midwife (and I'm sure other women have done it unassisted as well). Good luck hun, I think you do have time for her to move, please explore all your options!

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
May 10th, 2010, 07:28 AM
wifey2kevin's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to wifey2kevin Send a message via Yahoo to wifey2kevin
Quote:
Originally Posted by flitabout View Post
First things first you do have time. Start with spinning babies, and a webster trained Chiropractor. Also see how your m/w feels about doing a breech delivery. I have had 3 c/s and would recommend that you avoid it at all costs. If you get to the day see about both the external and internal version.
If you do end up in a position of having a c/s, don't let them schedule you, they can do what is called a planned C/S rather than the elective c/s. That gives you the best chance for the baby to turn on his own. But start looking now for someone willing to attend a breech birth.
I would really suggest you hit the V-bac board the ladies there can give you tuns of info!
dirro all this!!

Survivor Mom - My Blog

May 10th, 2010, 10:25 AM
Isaeph's Avatar Jennifer the Momma
I definitely agree about all the methods to try and turn the baby...though I'm iffy on the external version...those sometimes put a LOT of stress on the baby and they always want to induce immediately. I think some babies pick an odd position because that is the safest position for them. My ds2 was posterior, from about 18 weeks on. I tried to help him move, but he just didn't. In the end, I think God nudged me to the realization that posterior was best for him. I make short cords, and I didn't want to jeopardize his safety by forcing a move on him, so I left him and decided if he moved, great, if not fine.

The thing about breech that I think really freaks practicioners out is that it's mostly a hands-off birth. NO tugging, no twisting, no moving the baby as it's born. Really, the best way is for the practicioner to just support the baby's weight as s/he is coming out....and that lack of involvement is an issue for many. At least that's how it seems to me.

Crunchy, conservative, Christian, homeschooling, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, not-vaccinating, cloth-diapering, baby-wearing, ec-ing, unassisted-birthing, breastmilk donating, Momma to 7yo, 4yo, 2yo, 2mo.
May 10th, 2010, 12:58 PM
GranolaMamaOf3's Avatar ~Heather~
I've read in several books (Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth, being one of them), that early external versions, can be very helpful. And with a skilled midwife, who is relaxed, gentle, and doesn't *force* the baby to turn, it's perfectly safe!

I hope she tuns on her own soon, so you don't have to worry about it! But if not, definitely see what your options are for a breach birth!...I don't blame you for not wanting a c-section!!

May 10th, 2010, 01:22 PM
PixieQueen's Avatar Hi-Tech Hippie
Send a message via Yahoo to PixieQueen
I have had a vaginal breech birth, and it was no more difficult than my vertex birth. Granted, it was a surprise and since my water didn't break until I started pushing, it was a surprise I couldn't do anything about except push! So unfortunately I don't have advice about turning the baby, but if you can find a provider willing to attend you, I can tell you it's definitely possible!

May 10th, 2010, 01:32 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Some doctors are willing to allow breech if it's certain types of breech..some types are more risky than others....so maybe an u/s to find out....IF it comes to that....my SIL had a baby in March...he was breech at 36 weeks....I said no worries he still has time to turn...she rolled her eyes at me (she was ready to have him and would rather have had a section I think) and in the end at her next appt he'd flipped....GOOD LUCK!

We aren't to give a baby milk, berries, or peanut butter. We are to introduce new foods one at a time. But it's OK to inject several viruses, bacteria, aluminum, formaldehyde, phenoxyethanol, animal serum, mercury, squalene and more into an 8 week old? I don't think so.
In order to be healthy it is an unfortunate fact that people must be allowed the opportunity to be ill. I trust my body and those of my children to work correctly against the relatively benign diseases they vax for, and do not trust the ingredients in the vaccinations.
Our choice to not vax isn't based in ignorance, poverty, conspiracy theory and rumor. It's research, common sense, fact and evidence based..something the medical community has largely forgot about.
May 11th, 2010, 10:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flitabout View Post
Idk how my midwife feels about anything yet, cuz she said not to worry until 36 weeks (my next appointment is at 36 weeks and 1 day, so we get to talk then). I just can't even think of the c-section thing yet...I seriously can't afford a c-section on top of the fact that I incredibly don't want one.

May 11th, 2010, 10:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle View Post
I would definitely try all the suggestion on the Spinning Babies site to help your baby girl turn. A good chiropractor will help as well.. I also agree that you should explore the option of a breech vaginal birth with your midwife... you can't be forced into a c-section and delivering breech is possible and safe with a trained midwife (and I'm sure other women have done it unassisted as well). Good luck hun, I think you do have time for her to move, please explore all your options!
I can in no way afford a chiropractor at this moment sadly But I have been to the spinning babies site.

May 11th, 2010, 11:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaeph View Post
I definitely agree about all the methods to try and turn the baby...though I'm iffy on the external version...those sometimes put a LOT of stress on the baby and they always want to induce immediately. I think some babies pick an odd position because that is the safest position for them. My ds2 was posterior, from about 18 weeks on. I tried to help him move, but he just didn't. In the end, I think God nudged me to the realization that posterior was best for him. I make short cords, and I didn't want to jeopardize his safety by forcing a move on him, so I left him and decided if he moved, great, if not fine.

The thing about breech that I think really freaks practicioners out is that it's mostly a hands-off birth. NO tugging, no twisting, no moving the baby as it's born. Really, the best way is for the practicioner to just support the baby's weight as s/he is coming out....and that lack of involvement is an issue for many. At least that's how it seems to me.
Yeah I'm iffy on versions too, I am kinda iffy on everything right now cuz I just don't feel like I know enough about it, what I want is to go back to what I know, head down baby!

May 11th, 2010, 11:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirthDoulaToBe View Post
I've read in several books (Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth, being one of them), that early external versions, can be very helpful. And with a skilled midwife, who is relaxed, gentle, and doesn't *force* the baby to turn, it's perfectly safe!

I hope she tuns on her own soon, so you don't have to worry about it! But if not, definitely see what your options are for a breach birth!...I don't blame you for not wanting a c-section!!
I don't think my midwife wants an early version since she said not to worry about it til 36 weeks, and I'm kinda worried I can't even have one, my only real knowledge of versions is what I read somewhere when I was pregnant with Courtney (and no longer really remember since it has never been applicable to me) and what I learned from Ruth when she was waiting on James last year. And I remember her having some issue where they wouldn't do it past a certain date in the pregnancy, and I know I can't do it too early cuz I have some work issues...gah!

May 11th, 2010, 11:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha83 View Post
Some doctors are willing to allow breech if it's certain types of breech..some types are more risky than others....so maybe an u/s to find out....IF it comes to that....my SIL had a baby in March...he was breech at 36 weeks....I said no worries he still has time to turn...she rolled her eyes at me (she was ready to have him and would rather have had a section I think) and in the end at her next appt he'd flipped....GOOD LUCK!
thanks

May 12th, 2010, 08:30 AM
CameraLinds's Avatar Zane & Jude's mama
I was going to recommend Acupuncture!
here's an article about it from my acu
Breech | Holistic Kid

May 15th, 2010, 12:19 AM
Thanks

May 15th, 2010, 06:30 AM
laisydaisymama's Avatar Natural Birth Junkie
you are in exactly the place I was in with my last pregnancy not a fun place to be. I ended up with a forced c-section after an unsuccessful version. I fought and kicked and screamed and begged and cried, and in the end I lost. I would HIGHLY reccommend a chiropractor and the Webster technique, talk to them and see if you can make payments or something. Even paying a chiro for 10 visits would be cheaper than a c-section! Feel free to PM me, or you can look up my birth story in the Nov 08 PR. I know what you are dealing with, all too well. That's a HUGE part of the reason I am having a homebirth this time. I hope things end better for you than they did for me hun.

-Ginni-
homebirthing, tandem nursing, cosleeping, babywearing, picky vaxing, cloth diapering Christian doula mama

www.lovingbeginning.com
www.givingdiapersgivinghope.org

May 15th, 2010, 10:25 AM
_Brandy_'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to _Brandy_
Ok, well, a few things. First, why does breech mean a section? This is not what current research supports, don't consent to a section, they cannot force you, you can say no.

2nd, with my last (who is coming up on 2) he was breech and wouldn't turn (websters, moxibustion, visualization, pulsittila, etc), I had an ECV (external cephalic version) and I would recommend, hands down, havin g an ECV before giving up and definately before consenting to a section.

I had my ECV 13 days before he was born. Some places may want you to induce labour afterwards, but again, this is YOUR CHOICE, you are having the baby, nobody else, you decide what you want to do.

Good luck!

May 22nd, 2010, 05:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by laisydaisymama View Post
you are in exactly the place I was in with my last pregnancy not a fun place to be. I ended up with a forced c-section after an unsuccessful version. I fought and kicked and screamed and begged and cried, and in the end I lost. I would HIGHLY reccommend a chiropractor and the Webster technique, talk to them and see if you can make payments or something. Even paying a chiro for 10 visits would be cheaper than a c-section! Feel free to PM me, or you can look up my birth story in the Nov 08 PR. I know what you are dealing with, all too well. That's a HUGE part of the reason I am having a homebirth this time. I hope things end better for you than they did for me hun.
Thanks, looks like I should have listened to her when she told me not to worry, Amber's feet are kicking me in the ribs where her head was RIGHT now!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search