Natural Remedies for the Blues and PPD

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 24th, 2010, 03:47 PM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
I have a history of PPD and the baby blues are here in full force! Ugh... these PP hormones are crazy... as my midwife said its like PMS on Crack.

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone had any natural remedies for PPD or the blues??

I am currently taking Motherwort, EPO, Vitamin D and plan on starting to take B-complex.

Are there any other supplements/herbs/etc... that you know of that can help?

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
May 25th, 2010, 02:15 PM
CameraLinds's Avatar Zane & Jude's mama
Placenta encapsulation helped me!

I've heard that Omega-3's really help. (mercury free fish, fish oils, flaxseed oil, flax seeds or walnuts are great sources)

Hope you can beat it

May 27th, 2010, 10:27 AM
catherineclare's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was doing some research last night and came across a PP remedy while looking for something else. Have you ever heard of the Bach Flower Remedies? They are a flower essence and you take 2 drops at a time 4x a day. They have them to work on all kinds of issues and are wonderful. I am currently using some on Ben for separation anxiety issues (I cant go pee alone without him crying) and we're having great success. I have personally used them too and love them. My book recommended these:

For baby blues:
for no apparent reason: MUSTARD

with irrational fears/behavior: CHERRY PLUM

These remedies can be purchased in 20ml bottles from Whole Foods or a lot of other natural stores. Just ask for the Bach Flower Remedies.

Hope this helps! If you have any questions just send me a pm if ya want!
May 27th, 2010, 07:33 PM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Placental Encapsulation also helped me.

I had bad PPD after my first, didn't do anything about it, just let it run it's course, which was about a year.

I didn't want PPD at all with my next so I encapsulated my placenta a few days after birth and I haven't had any baby blues or PPD.
May 28th, 2010, 05:02 AM
wifey2kevin's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to wifey2kevin Send a message via Yahoo to wifey2kevin
i took fish oil with my second and it helped!

Survivor Mom - My Blog

May 28th, 2010, 09:55 AM
GranolaMamaOf3's Avatar ~Heather~
Ladies who have encapsulated their placentas- Did you do it yourself, or pay someone else to do it? Was it hard? Gross? I'm considering it, but I don't have DH fully on board yet

May 28th, 2010, 05:09 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
I'm going to have my midwives assistants encapsulate the placenta this time. My doula recommended doing something with it with Cadie, but I was too lame. This time I'm not taking any chances, that first month was rough on me. I have a history of bad depression, and even on meds I was a mess. I imagine you don 't still have your placenta though, at this point.

The bachs remedies are wonderful, great recommendation. Try 4,000 or more units of D3 as well.
May 30th, 2010, 07:38 AM
CameraLinds's Avatar Zane & Jude's mama
My MW encapsulated it last time, this time DH, MW and doula will do it my friend did it and gave me instructions

May 30th, 2010, 10:24 AM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
I really wish I had mine encapsulated this past time. I am kicking myself now for not having done it. Ugh.

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
May 30th, 2010, 10:28 AM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirthDoulaToBe View Post
Ladies who have encapsulated their placentas- Did you do it yourself, or pay someone else to do it? Was it hard? Gross? I'm considering it, but I don't have DH fully on board yet
I encapsulated my own, and I actually offer the service to other women. I don't find it gross or hard, it's pretty easy and straight forward. It took a few hours to dry it, I like to use the oven on the lowest setting with the door open (but many use a dehyderator instead). Then I grind it up and put it in an encapsulating machine, which takes about 30 minutes for me. I got 105 capsules out of my placenta.
May 30th, 2010, 07:18 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
I hope you find some relief soon Christine, no fun.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search