Post Partum Doula?

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 26th, 2010, 04:39 PM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
Have you ever considered having one? What has been your experience if you have?

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
May 26th, 2010, 05:12 PM
BobbityBoo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm not familiar with this? What is it that they would do exactly?

Thank you Kiliki for my wonderfull siggie!
May 26th, 2010, 09:11 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
I know one (in my local mommy group). She does everything from laundry to placenta encapsulation, breastfeeding help, watching the baby so you can nap, etc.. Basically a very knowledgeable "mother's helper".

She did my placenta encapsulation. And she has been working with a friend of mine. My friend had "failed" breastfeeding her first 3 children and wanted to try again this time around. She was told by the LC at the hospital (also a friend of hers) "why do you need to take a breastfeeding class? We tried everything last time and it just didn't work, it won't work this time either". So I brought her to LLL and introduced her to my post-partum doula friend. Baby is now 5 weeks and EBFing and THRIVING. Thanks in HUGE part to the PP Doula who has been available to her for advice anytime, home visits, latch help, etc...

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

May 27th, 2010, 07:37 AM
CameraLinds's Avatar Zane & Jude's mama
A postpartum doula supports you after birth....She can watch the kids so you can rest or shower, she'll cook or clean or even bring you food or things you need.

Our birth doula will be our post partum doula. I am so thankful we decided to have one and found the greatest one for our family! We will probably have her come by once a week for an hour or two postpartumly. (DH will be off for 2 weeks after birth adn then the 2 weeks after my mom will be here...so after the first month)

May 27th, 2010, 10:33 AM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
Sounds wonderful. I've always been left at the mercy of DH and the kids, LOL!

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

May 27th, 2010, 10:49 AM
My midwives had a previous client that is working on getting her certification, and asked me if I'd be interested in having her come over. I jumped at the chance and am so glad that I did!

She is doing 8 hours this week, and has really jumped right in to help. I have a hard time asking someone to clean up after me and for general help, but I haven't had to at all. She's been great with giving my older girls attention and playing with them, doing the dishes, getting snacks for me and the kids, folding laundry, etc. Its been so wonderful. She does her last couple of hours tomorrow, but has offered to come back next week if I need her!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
May 27th, 2010, 01:31 PM
laisydaisymama's Avatar Natural Birth Junkie
I am thinking of using one since the boys will still be home for summer. 4 kiddos full time while adjusting to a NB and his nursing schedule......I may want some help DH usually takes off at least a week, so probably after that.

-Ginni-
homebirthing, tandem nursing, cosleeping, babywearing, picky vaxing, cloth diapering Christian doula mama

www.lovingbeginning.com
www.givingdiapersgivinghope.org

May 27th, 2010, 02:52 PM
Alison79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thankfully DH is usually home for the first week or so and my Mom's group does meals for the first few weeks so I am pretty well taken care of. I know my Doula also does post partum work and I would absolutely consider having her come and help if DH wasn't home - I think it is a wonderful service!
May 28th, 2010, 10:01 AM
GranolaMamaOf3's Avatar ~Heather~
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle View Post
My midwives had a previous client that is working on getting her certification, and asked me if I'd be interested in having her come over. I jumped at the chance and am so glad that I did!

She is doing 8 hours this week, and has really jumped right in to help. I have a hard time asking someone to clean up after me and for general help, but I haven't had to at all. She's been great with giving my older girls attention and playing with them, doing the dishes, getting snacks for me and the kids, folding laundry, etc. Its been so wonderful. She does her last couple of hours tomorrow, but has offered to come back next week if I need her!
Wow! Sounds wonderful! I'm glad it's working out so well for you!

I've considered becoming a PPD, after I finish my BD certification.

I will have my mom here helping for at least the first two weeks, and than one of my sisters may stay a while longer to help if needed. (they are coming into town from KY)

May 28th, 2010, 10:23 AM
I can't tell you enough how wonderful it was having her this week. She's even offered to come back in the next few weeks if I need her. I might take her up on it depending how we manage. Dh is back at work today, and I was sooo happy to see her car pull up this morning!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search