We pride ourselves on having the friendliest
and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment
for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers.
If you have any problems registering please drop an email to email@example.com.
Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!
Most of the independant midwifes in the city I live in, seem to be taking January and February off next year (including the midwife that we used last time), so we don't get a lot of choice this time... However we have meet with two midwifes and they are both so nice, so I don't know who to pick...
Both midwifes work for the same independant company, both are totally all for Home Births and open to things like water birth and Hypnobirthing. Both love the idea of a natural birth and were so excited when we told them that is what we wanted... Both carry gas with them and have access to birth pools, so we won't have to pay for that.
Midwife 1 Pro's
- Best midwife in Whangarei (according to my doctor)
- Heaps of experience (over 16 years as an independant midwife)
- She wants a bit of a 'holiday' in January next year, so is only taking on women who she has worked with before or women who had our previous midwife before (so only one other women due in January so far). Con's
- Although she'll come out and see us after the birth, I kinda got the impression they have it pretty 'set' as to how often they come out (ie once a day for the first week, couple of times during the second week and so on).
Midwife 2 Pro's
- Seemed to 'click' a little better with this one. Seemed very very friendly!
- Seemed to offer a lot more support after the birth. Was happy to come out to see me 'a few times a day if I needed it'. Heaps of support with breastfeeding etc. Con's
- Due to so many midwifes taking time off in January, she is taking on 6 women due then, instead of her normal 5, so there is a chance I will end up with her partner as a midwife during the birth (who I will get to meet during my pregnancy).
- Much less experience - only two years as an independant midwife, and 3 years before that in hospitals.
- My doctor didn't say anything about this midwife, so not sure what he thinks of her!
Im new to these boards and from NZ . I think you should go with the midwife you click with the best. I have a different midwife this birth than i did for my other 2 homebirths as my other midwife is away when im due, i went to meet a midwife who i didnt like and stressed about it for weeks and took it out on DH unknowningly as i was so worried and i didnt like her (nothing wrong with her history just personally didnt click). I rang another midwife and even on the phone straight away i knew that she was perfect for me. You have to be able to relax and trust your midwife for your birth to go smoothly.
Also i have found experience doesnt mean your midwife isnt the best, my last midwife had only been quailified for a yr when i got in touch with her and i was her first HBAC and she was amazing!
I think you need to decide what is the most important factor for you. I know for me experience is a big issue. I know in my head that experience doesn't always equal the best, but I (personally) just wouldn't be able to do a home birth with an inexperienced MW, neither would my DH.
Just to point out... for MW #2 she says she is more willing to come over more frequently but if she is taking on way more clients that might end up not being a possibility. Just something to think about.
After talking to DF last night, we decided to go with Midwife 1, mainly due to her having less clients on in January as well as the fact my doctor has recommended her. We both got on with her as well... So I've emailed her and will make sure she can take us before letting the other midwife know.
Fadeless - what part of NZ are you from? We are just outside Whangarei.