breast infection

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 10th, 2010, 03:24 PM
Effervescence's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
why can't I just give birth without something stupid happening right after???

Yesterday I had my final appointment with my midwife. She asked how nursing was going. I told her it was going fine except Evie didn't like to eat frequently so I was getting really full and it was painful. But I had experienced the same thing with Jonah so I figured my milk would just start regulating itself soon.

We weighed her and she was 9 lbs 5.5 oz, up from 8 lbs 13.5 oz on Sunday's visit. She's a little porker LOL So the midwife said she is eating plenty, it's just the spacing of the feedings that is an issue.I tried to get her to eat smaller more frequent "meals" but when the girl isn't hungry, she is just not interested in the boob!

Literally two hours after the midwife left, I started to feel a little crummy. Just a slight headache and my body felt heavy. I had decided to do some chores earlier in the day; some laundry and vacuuming etc but not a ton just enough to make me feel human again. My midwife gave me a wag of the finger, saying I had done too much, so I figured this was just the repercussions of too much activity. Everyone else was talking about how hot they were, and DH turned the AC on, but I thought they were crazy because I had goose bumps and felt freezing. I went to lay down and put on a sweatshirt, and I started shivering violently. I just couldn't get warm. The shivering was probably the worst part of this whole thing. DH came down to see what was going on and I told him to get my mom. She took one look at me and said to page the midwife. She took my temp and it was 101.3

I don't remember anything from this point on... I remember talking to the midwife on the phone but I don't remember very well what was said. Luckily we passed the phone around and she gave instructions to everyone. I remember being on the toilet at one point but don't remember going to the bathroom or getting back in bed. And my mom and MIL came into the room and put some kind of dressings around my breasts and made me take some pills, but I don't remember them being in here, only having an awareness that they came in. The pills were tylenol and echinacea. I also know DH tried to get Evie to eat several times.

Apparantly, I have a clogged duct that is trying to become, or had become a small bit of, mastitis. Evie has been eating since about 2:00am, and she's been eating a little more frequently so that has helped. I started to feel much better once she started eating more frequently. I am okay now, just really tired and achy, like I am just getting over the flu. I really didn't know that a breast infection could hit this hard- and this wasn't even full blown. We're trying not to use antibiotics, but we'll see how tonight goes. My midwife is out of town for the weekend, but I talked to the midwife on call this morning so she is aware of what is going on. I've also gotten strict orders to stay in bed I really hate it. I miss Jonah and it makes me sad to know I'm missing all of this family time while DH is off work. But thank goodness he is!

Click the blinkies!

Thank You, Pattyandthemoos, for my beautiful siggy!
June 10th, 2010, 03:31 PM
Oh yeah, and I wanted to ask for those who have had experience (maybe I'll hop over to the breastfeeding board to ask, too) my bleeding had gotten very light, and seemed like it was about done, but now it is almost as heavy as just after I gave birth. Is that normal with a breast infection? I'm assuming it's just because of the stress on my body last night. I've never shaken/shivered like that before and it just made my whole body hurt

Click the blinkies!

June 10th, 2010, 07:08 PM
CameraLinds's Avatar Zane & Jude's mama
Awww I'mm sooo sorry!! I don't have any masitis experience but a friend of mine has had it twice. I know she used warm compresses before and after feedings to help with the pain, as well as making baby eat on the infected side, and she stayed in bed for like 2 days and all she did was sleep, drink lots of water and nurse her LO and took tylenol. she eirther didn't want antibiotics, but I want to say she took an herbal remedy and a homeopathic- can't remember which one. HTH. Feel better! I can only imagine what you're going through- since I'm familiar with my friends' complaints/pain.

June 11th, 2010, 07:45 PM
Thanks for the reply. I've been doing pretty much what your friend did. It appears to really be the only thing to do! The milk has backed up into my armpit, but it seems like Evie is draining it at least a little with each feeding. Yesterday I felt kind of a sharp pain and then it felt like it all drained out, but a couple hours later the same spot was swollen and red again. I've been turning the hot water on in the shower and massaging from the armpit down, after each feeding, too. She doesn't seem to like the right side which is the plugged side Jonah preferred the left too; it must be gourmet.

But I'm really feeling much better. I'm hoping to be able to get out of bed tomorrow to spend some time with Jonah. I really really miss him! I'll probably take this over to the BFing board since it's more appropriate there. I just thought I'd ask what you ladies knew about it, because a lot of people IRL are telling me to go to my family doctor and get antibiotics

Click the blinkies!

June 12th, 2010, 06:20 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Another thing is to make sure her chin is pointing the direction of the swollen area, because that causes more letdown from that spot than the rest of the breast.
June 12th, 2010, 12:33 PM
laisydaisymama's Avatar Natural Birth Junkie
I had a temp of almost 106 after Claire was born, I just knew my incision was infected and I was going to DIE. It was my boobs

Changing position can make a big difference. Point baby's chin towards the clogged duct, or lay her side lying, but upside down.....put her head towards your stomach and her feet towards your face.And one thing I have done with bad engorgement is fill the bathtub up with hot water, get on hands and knees with my boobs in the water and hand express with them underwater. The warmth plus the gravity makes it let down easily and continue to flow without needing much help.

Also, now that (obviously) your milk has come in well and she is nursing well, you could pump a little bit too and freeze it. I wouldn't pump alot, because you don't want to over produce more, but pumping once to drain it pretty well and then once a day or less for about 10-15 minutes would probably help alot, and you will build a nice little stash in the freezer for later lol.

I hope you feel better soon, I know how miserable that is!

-Ginni-
homebirthing, tandem nursing, cosleeping, babywearing, picky vaxing, cloth diapering Christian doula mama

www.lovingbeginning.com
www.givingdiapersgivinghope.org

June 12th, 2010, 06:46 PM
Thanks!

It seems to be completely unplugged now. Changing nursing positions seemed to help a lot; that's what the midwife on-call told me to do, too. I also think we fixed our latch problem (she wouldn't open her mouth very wide) which I think was a big contributor.

Yeah, I'm sure that my fever went up past 101 after my mom took it- I just remember feeling like I was in ice, I couldn't stop shivering. Like you, I KNEW there was something going wrong, like I was bleeding out or had some kind of terrible infection of the uterus. I really did think I was going to die too! I kept telling DH how wonderful he was and how beautiful our children were LOL! it was very scary though. I wouldn't have thought it was my boobs, because it didn't feel like it was coming from them.

Anyway, I think I might be back to normal tomorrow. I'd better be, because Monday is coming up real fast and I have to be on my own starting then!

Click the blinkies!

June 13th, 2010, 08:12 AM
laisydaisymama's Avatar Natural Birth Junkie
glad you are feeling better!

-Ginni-
homebirthing, tandem nursing, cosleeping, babywearing, picky vaxing, cloth diapering Christian doula mama

www.lovingbeginning.com
www.givingdiapersgivinghope.org

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search