what made you choose homebirth?

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 17th, 2010, 04:06 PM
laisydaisymama's Avatar Natural Birth Junkie
How did you come across the idea?

Was it your idea or DH's?

How did DH feel about it at first?

Have you had a hospital birth before?

What made you decide it was right for you?

-Ginni-
homebirthing, tandem nursing, cosleeping, babywearing, picky vaxing, cloth diapering Christian doula mama

www.lovingbeginning.com
www.givingdiapersgivinghope.org

June 17th, 2010, 05:01 PM
Lonomia's Avatar Super Hot Mommy
How did you come across the idea? I have always known about HB through my own research. I look at the alternative ways of doing things. I also prefer to be as natural as possible.

Was it your idea or DH's? Mine.

How did DH feel about it at first? Great. He is used to hearing about HBs from his birth country.

Have you had a hospital birth before? Nope.

What made you decide it was right for you? I had a healthy pregnancy without complication and tons of support. I just knew in my heart and mind that I should have a HB.

June 17th, 2010, 08:16 PM
oriel13's Avatar Tishauna
How did you come across the idea? Some ladies in my first DDC had homebirths. I had never heard of it being done by "normal people" until then.

It was definitely mine.

How did DH feel about it at first? Thought it was weird and unnecessary when we can have a hospital birth for free (military facility).

Yes, DS in 2008.

When I met with the only CNM group here and they didn't mesh with what I wanted at all. And touring the hospital they delivered at gave me the willies. Those 2 things made me realize I couldn't be comfortable with another hospital birth. I really wanted to go to the local birth center, but insurance issues made that twice as expensive as having a HB, which I hadn't seriously considered - so once I had time to research and wrap my mind around it, the idea was much less scary to me and I was ready to move forward!

June 17th, 2010, 09:00 PM
inyourhonor's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
How did you come across the idea? I was denied by several CNM's because they couldn't find a backing doctor for a VBAC. I refused to go to an OB and decided I had to find another option.

Was it your idea or DH's? Definitely mine.

How did DH feel about it at first? At first he was completely against it.

Have you had a hospital birth before? Yes, it caused my birth trauma.

What made you decide it was right for you? Honestly? The actual birth itself. I had birth trauma with my first, 4.5 years later and Im still fighting it. During my pregnancy with Dane I grew more and more for my home birth but still had my fears, along with Jason. There were fears of uterine rupture, that I couldn't do it, that I was broken and couldn't be fixed. I was very bitter about how my first born came into the world. He has taught me that I have distrust in doctors and his birth is giving me a chance to learn about myself. Danes birth opened my eyes to knowing I can do it, I hope Bishops birth brings me closer to closure.

Killian Rivers born April 17th at 36 weeks

Killian's Birth Story
June 17th, 2010, 09:48 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee

Somewhere midway through my second pregnancy the idea just kinda came to me. I wanted to do a homebirth with her but didn't want to change providers

Those two questions kinda have to go together. Initially I think it was my idea when I was pregnant with Nola. He was totally fine with the idea. When we got pregnant with Kya he just assumed we were doing a homebirth and even asked if we were "allowed" to do it unassisted

yes with my first and it was fine. My only complaint was the formula-pushy nurses after the birth

It just seemed like the right choice. I don't know how to explain it...

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

June 18th, 2010, 07:20 AM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
How did you come across the idea? I really don't remember now, but I'm sure it was online. I didn't know anybody IRL who had done it or supported it.

Was it your idea or DH's? I brought up the subject, but the decision was completely mutual.

How did DH feel about it at first? worried about all the "what ifs", but completely convinced it is right for us.

Have you had a hospital birth before? Our first four were born in a hospital.

What made you decide it was right for you? I hated having babies in the hospital, hated everything about it.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

June 18th, 2010, 07:35 AM
laisydaisymama's Avatar Natural Birth Junkie

honestly, I can give JM the credit for it being a realistic thing

mine

he was worried about the cost and the mess lol

I've had 3, 1 good experience and 2 traumatic

fear of another c-section is what drove me to look at more options. I am not afraid of giving birth at all, I am afraid of "medical professionals".

-Ginni-
homebirthing, tandem nursing, cosleeping, babywearing, picky vaxing, cloth diapering Christian doula mama

www.lovingbeginning.com
www.givingdiapersgivinghope.org

June 18th, 2010, 08:07 AM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
How did you come across the idea? After I had my first son, in a hospital medicated and had a lot of things done to me without my consent and a iatrogenic complication after birth, I knew there had to be another way. Almost immediatly I started looking into my options. I came across homebirth and researched it as much as possible.

Was it your idea or DH's? Both.

How did DH feel about it at first? Very supportive. He actually asked me if I wanted to have an unassisted birth next time because he has family that does that, but I said how about a Midwife instead.

Have you had a hospital birth before? Yup

What made you decide it was right for you Learning about all the risks off hospital interventions, and having a homebirth friendly clinic near us. Our town is actually pretty homebirth friendly and the OBGYNs are supportive of it. We didn't live here when we had our first though.
June 18th, 2010, 10:07 AM
KnitterLaurel's Avatar Super Mommy
How did you come across the idea? I was born at home, so it has always been a part of my reality. And a point of pride for me.

Was it your idea or DH's? Mine

How did DH feel about it at first? He was perfectly fine with it. He said that he trusts me to know what is right for my body. And has done his own research as to the risks and benefits. He even tries to convince people that he knows that home birth is the better option.

Have you had a hospital birth before? No. And barring any major complications I hope to never have one.

What made you decide it was right for you? I hate doctor's and hospitals. And growing up to me that is just how you had babies. Unless you or the baby was sick you had babies at home.

June 18th, 2010, 10:09 PM
Isaeph's Avatar Jennifer the Momma
I think from reading birth stories. I'm actually not sure entirely. I was heavily pushed that direction while 30something weeks pregnant with #2 and not at all clicking with the mw's at the birth center. Especially after they told us to leave our 2yo son with the neighbors that we didn't know (we'd just moved from out of state) that were drug users! I felt like they truly didn't care about us at that point.

Definitely mine.

I'm not sure the first time we talked about it in theory, but when I first approached him about having #2 at home (unassisted at that) he was very supportive. He said that he trusted me and he knew how much research and praying I'd been doing.

Yes, it was awful. Definite birth trauma that almost 7 years later I'm still not over. I feel like my son and I got ripped off. I'm thankful we both came out of the whole ordeal healthy, but a routine hospital birth with the cascade of interventions isn't something I'd wish on anyone. And I'll be darned if I give birth in one again unless our lives are in danger or it's illegal to give birth anywhere else.

Everything. It was just amazing to think about. And knowing that my husband was ok with it meant a lot. Knowing that our son would be safe at home with us when dd was born. And afterwards...it was just truly a life changing, wonderful, darn near perfect experience. Both times. I can't wait for this next time!

Crunchy, conservative, Christian, homeschooling, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, not-vaccinating, cloth-diapering, baby-wearing, ec-ing, unassisted-birthing, breastmilk donating, Momma to 7yo, 4yo, 2yo, 2mo.
June 19th, 2010, 02:33 AM
How did you come across the idea? Back in 02 when i was pregnant with my first child it was the only way i wanted to birth, even did homebirth classes but it all ended in a c/s

How did DH feel about it at first? First time around i think he was a little freaked but after the c/s and VBAC and the hospital experience he was all for the homebirth and said after it that being at home was WAY better than being at the hospital.

Have you had a hospital birth before? Emergency c/s then VBAC at hospital.

What made you decide it was right for you? After the hospital experience of feeling helpless and not in control of myself and my body, i didnt want to go through that again I got a wonderful supportive midwife who was amazing. I have had 2 bubs at home now and am due in 6wks.
June 19th, 2010, 04:23 AM
Mega Super Mommy
How did you come across the idea? It seemed the most logical way for babies to have arrived before the days of hospitals... and I don't like doctors or hospitals, lol.

How did DH feel about it at first? He was 100% for the idea... especially after looking at the cost of homebirth vs. hospital, even with insurance, lol!

Have you had a hospital birth before? Yes, but it wasn't a planned one. We'd planned a home birth and ended up needing an induction.

What made you decide it was right for you? The fact I hate hospitals and doctors...? I dunno, it just seems more natural to have the baby at home than go to the hospital for something that is a normal part of life (even if it isn't an every day event-- thank goodness!!).
June 19th, 2010, 08:52 AM
Aeterna's Avatar Super Speshil
Quote:
Message board friends. I first came across homebirth on Fertility Friend and breastfeeding.com about 5.5-6 years ago.

Quote:
Mine.

Quote:
Fully supportive.

Quote:
I considered homebirth when I was pregnant with my second child. There wasn't a midwife practicing in my area at the time, or I didn't know of one. Instead I planned for a 'natural' hospital birth. It was a good experience for what it was. It wasn't 'natural' by my own standards (intervention-free), but it was med-free (including pitocin) and a smooth/good experience. However, I had even greater expectations and standards for the next. I was determined to have a homebirth when I got pregnant with our third. This time there was a CPM in the area. We planned for a homebirth. Unfortunately, I ended up having to be induced at the hospital.

I *finally* got my homebirth with my fourth baby. Barring any medical problems all future babies will be born at home.

Quote:
I have low risk pregnancies. No health issues and very easy and uneventful births. I knew that chances of having an intervention-free birth at the hospital would be close to impossible. I knew that I didn't want to fight or be a b*tch to get what I want (e.g., less interference). I knew I wanted to be in my own environment--someplace comfortable and familiar.

I was confident home is the safest place for me and my baby.

Last edited by Aeterna; June 19th, 2010 at 08:56 AM.
June 20th, 2010, 04:35 PM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
How did you come across the idea? actually here on Justmommies... I didn't know anyone in my real life that was a mom, much less someone who had a homebirth. After my first birth, I knew I wanted something different... with my 2nd, my DH wasn't convinced, and we had her with a midwife at a hospital birthing center (it was a house on the grounds of a hospital, kind of odd, but it worked).

Was it your idea or DH's? definitely mine

How did DH feel about it at first? at first, he wasn't for it. When I got pregnant with our third, our insurance had changed and no longer covered the m/w I had used for my second, so therefore I started looking into the homebirth option

Have you had a hospital birth before? yes

What made you decide it was right for you? meeting with my midwives and getting into contact with local homebirthers.

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
July 7th, 2010, 03:18 PM
Jillinebinny's Avatar Veteran
How did you come across the idea? My sister i guess introduced me to the idea when she decided to become an AP and have a midwife and birth center birth.

Was it your idea or DH's? It was mine once i researched it.

How did DH feel about it at first?He wasn't so sure. He wanted to make sure me and baby would be safe, and to him, that meant a hospital.

Have you had a hospital birth before? We planned a homebirth with our first, but then with all the things that happened in the pregnancy (daughter had a fatal abnormality, i had complications, "had" to be induced) we had a hospital birth with our first. Wish we had just had a homebirth though...

What made you decide it was right for you? Once i did my research, it just made sense. If i wanted to have a natural intervention free birth, WHY would i go have my baby in place that specializes in interventions and "problems" with birth? Doesn't make sense when you think about it. After doing research i felt we would be safest at home and that it would just be the best fit for our family. I'm really excited for our homebirth

The most important work we will ever do is within the walls of our own home ~Harold B. Lee

July 7th, 2010, 11:52 PM
CameraLinds's Avatar Zane & Jude's mama
How did you come across the idea? DH actually, he told me he was born at home when we first started talking....I had no idea it was still practiced. I grew up with the typical knowledge babies are born in a hospital. So I started researching...

Was it your idea or DH's? DH, he said something about how he'd like his kids to be born at home or a birthing center with a midwife and how he dislikes docs and hospitals (which I do too). then after my research i realized it's what i wanted....and knew i wanted a homebirth.

How did DH feel about it at first? At first he wanted a birthing center for our first, wasn't 100% sure on homebirth but after talking with our midwives he came around!

Have you had a hospital birth before? Nope, praying not to either!

What made you decide it was right for you? I knew I wanted a natural birth, I knew I wanted a birth where I could do what I wanted and what my body needed and not be told what you can/can't do. I knew I didn't want to be hooked to IVs, monitors, etc. and I knew that in a hospital setting that would probably happen. I knew I wanted a birth that was best for both me and my baby (no drugs, no unnecessary interventions, etc)

July 8th, 2010, 07:11 AM
GranolaMamaOf3's Avatar ~Heather~
How did you come across the idea? Well, I've wanted to be a midwife since I was 8 years old, but I guess it was after attending my older sister's HB a few months before I was married that confirmed it in my mind!

Was it your idea or DH's? Mine, but he's always liked the idea

How did DH feel about it at first? He's always been in total agreement!

Have you had a hospital birth before? Yes, with our first, but only because we were new to the area and couldn't find a HB midwife... My midwife was wonderful, so it was still a very good experience (completely natural/intervention free), but I didn't give up on finding one for the next birth!

What made you decide it was right for you? I believe whole heartedly that birth is a normal everyday occurrence, and something our bodies were designed to do! Hospitals are great for an emergency situation, but completely unnecessary (and can even be dangerous) for the average healthy woman.

July 8th, 2010, 07:18 AM
Buttercups's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
How did you come across the idea? I got to attend my aunt's homebirth when I was 15

How did DH feel about it at first? He was fine with it since all of his sisters had midwives in birthing centers rather than doctors. It wasn't a huge leap for him to make.

Have you had a hospital birth before? No, this is our first child

What made you decide it was right for you? First hand account and personal research

July 31st, 2010, 10:45 AM
Granola Mama
How did you come across the idea? I'd always heard about it, I don't remember how. My mom runs a new age metaphysical shop and lots of the customers who came in talked about natural birthing methods, including HB.

How did DH feel about it at first? He liked it a lot. Well once he figured out how it would all work (this was long before we even had Rain in my belly! we just got talking about it one day and decided eventually when we'd have kids we'd have a hb).

Have you had a hospital birth before? I have. I had decided on a birthing center birth with Rain because I was afraid I wouldn't know what was going on and wanted some support. But I planned a homebirth for the twins. Then my sister and I got in a car accident and were in the hospital getting checked out when I went into labor so I ended up with a hospital birth. It wasn't horrible, and actually the OB on staff was really kind (my MW was stuck) and supported me going natural and vaginal though she did make me have an OR ready to go just in case.

What made you decide it was right for you? I've always wanted one, it finally looks like I'm going to get one. After Rain was born I realized I could handle a homebirth and started planning one before I even got pregnant! I want to be comfortable in my own home and have whoever I want around. I want to be able to nurse the twins during my labor if they need it. I want to be able to snack if I want or watch a movie or just get up and move around. The birthing center I could do a lot of that, but I still wasn't at home. Its just more comfortable to be at home, then there's no business of getting baby home! You're already there!
and baby number 4 due 9/3/10
July 31st, 2010, 06:29 PM
Effervescence's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
How did you come across the idea? I was looking for videos of birth on youtube because I was really scared of what it would be like, and I found beautiful videos of homebirth and water births. Then our Bradley instructor sowed the seed even deeper when we weren't happy with our OB, but we couldn't find a midwife in our area back then

DH was more comfortable with it than I was at first

How did DH feel about it at first? He was promoting the idea

Have you had a hospital birth before? Yes, as said above we couldn't find a midwife in the Cleveland area. The closest one we could find is actually the same one we had after we moved to Toledo, and delivered Eve!!! Ironic

What made you decide it was right for you? I hated my hospital birth. I felt completely out of control, and our OB treated us poorly. I wanted that relationship with the birth attendant; I wanted her to feel the same way I did about my birth and not just be another patient to check off the list

Click the blinkies!

Thank You, Pattyandthemoos, for my beautiful siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search