OT: Red Robin nursing discrimination

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 24th, 2010, 10:03 AM
Jillinebinny's Avatar Veteran
So this topic isn't about home birth, and i'm sorry if it's not appropriate, but we are trying to get the word out to those who would be interested. And i know most homebirthers feel pretty strongly about breastfeeding so i thought i would share.

Yesterday i learned my sister was discriminated against at Red Robin when she was nursing her daughter there during dinner while on a date with her husband. You can read about the experience here:
Breastfeeding at Red Robin, aka OMG *Now With Update*

I have written a letter to Red Robin and have decided not to eat there anymore until they change things (which i sate in my letter).

If you feel strongly about this, would you please write a letter to Red Robin also?

I've heard that my sister is not the first who has encountered problems while nursing in their restaurants.

Thanks everyone

My letter:
It has come to my attention that a manager at this location discriminated against a breastfeeding mother and her child on June 22, 2010 by asking her to cover up while nursing her infant daughter. I am deeply disturbed by this managers actions and his violation of Washington State human rights laws.

It is the responsibility of Red Robin and their managers and employees to know the state laws and have a breastfeeding policy in place that follows these laws.

In case you are not aware of what the Washington State breastfeeding laws are, here is a link:
http://www.breastfeedingwa.org/files...comadation.pdf

Because of this incident, I, and my family will no longer be customers of your restaurant and I am encouraging my family, friends and online communities to do the same.

I would reconsider my stand if Red Robin:
*Issues a sincere public apology to the breastfeeding mother.

*Announces publicly their breastfeeding accommodation policy by posting the policy in an easily accessible location at the restaurant so guests can easily know of your policy.

*Institutes training for ALL of their employees to educate them on the sate breastfeeding laws and how to properly handle a situation with an offended guest.

I sincerely hope that your company will take this opportunity to change company policies regarding breastfeeding mothers to make the dining experience of ALL your guests more pleasurable.

Thank you for your time

The most important work we will ever do is within the walls of our own home ~Harold B. Lee

Last edited by Jillinebinny; June 24th, 2010 at 02:54 PM.
June 24th, 2010, 10:12 AM
laisydaisymama's Avatar Natural Birth Junkie
thank you for sharing that, last summer I actually had a similar experience at a Six Flags park. I hope she can accomplish something and I hope Red Robin changes their stance.

-Ginni-
homebirthing, tandem nursing, cosleeping, babywearing, picky vaxing, cloth diapering Christian doula mama

www.lovingbeginning.com
www.givingdiapersgivinghope.org

June 24th, 2010, 10:57 AM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
I hope something can change as well. Please keep us posted!

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
June 24th, 2010, 01:04 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
Do you know why she took the blog post down? I was going to share it with someone but it's gone.

I had a similar incident a few months back, I'm not sure if you were in the AP group at the time though. I totally need to print up some of those cards.

Stupid restaurant employees... ugh DH has been begging me for months to go eat there but we almost never do because there's always a long wait. Now I have a better excuse not to go LOL

quick totally OT edit now that you have siggy... I didn't know you were LDS. Me too

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

June 24th, 2010, 01:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelllilee View Post
Do you know why she took the blog post down? I was going to share it with someone but it's gone.

quick totally OT edit now that you have siggy... I didn't know you were LDS. Me too
I don't know why. I know she was contacted this morning by Red Robin corporate(supposedly a positive call) and she was going to make a new blog post, so maybe it has something do with that, i'm not sure.

lol, and yep, i am

The most important work we will ever do is within the walls of our own home ~Harold B. Lee

June 24th, 2010, 02:55 PM
Thanks for everyone support.

Her blog post is back up and updated with the latest and greatest

Please feel free to send letters of your own still!

June 27th, 2010, 06:27 PM
GranolaMamaOf3's Avatar ~Heather~
Wow! I just read her update (actually- this is the first I've seen any of this. but that's because I haven't been on here much lately). I can't believe how many times they referenced themselves as being a "Family friendly restaurant", and then in the very next breath say breastfeeding is inappropriate! Umm...hello! That's part of raising children, and if you are really as "family friendly" as you say you are, then breastfeeding moms/babies should be welcomed with open arms!

Anyway- I'm glad they are making things right!

June 28th, 2010, 10:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirthDoulaToBe View Post
Wow! I just read her update (actually- this is the first I've seen any of this. but that's because I haven't been on here much lately). I can't believe how many times they referenced themselves as being a "Family friendly restaurant", and then in the very next breath say breastfeeding is inappropriate! Umm...hello! That's part of raising children, and if you are really as "family friendly" as you say you are, then breastfeeding moms/babies should be welcomed with open arms!

Anyway- I'm glad they are making things right!
Yeah, i thought that was crazy too! But i really do hope they are trying to make things right! I'm keeping my ears open, i told them i won't eat there until they actually change things! But this is all over the place. A few days ago if you googled "Red Robin Breastfeed Washington" the first 4 hits were about my sister! People all over the country are sending letters to the company

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search