Being "Made Aware"

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 28th, 2010, 11:47 AM
Effervescence's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
When I went to file Evie's birth certificate, the woman asked what hospital she was born at because I guess each hospital has a different packet or something. I told her that Evie was born at home. Yes, it was a planned homebirth. She disappeared for a long time and came back with a nurse. She said the nurse had some things to go over with me. Uuuuuhhh... okay..???

So it turned out I knew the nurse from Jonah's early interventions program, she is one of the nurses on Jonah's "team" so I had to be nice to her. She said she had some things that the county just liked to "make mothers aware of" after they've had a homebirth. She went over tons of pamphlets about vaccines and the PKU and infant hearing screen and a few other things that I was already perfectly aware of and had taken care of. It wouldn't have bothered me so much, except she was extremely surprised that we had already taken care of these things. I was made to feel like I must be ignorant because I chose to have her at home. On the contrary, I was more ignorant about what was going on with Jonah when I had him in the hospital.

Then I realized that everywhere we went to get things done with Evie, someone was there to "make us aware" of things. The pediatrician's office, the pharmacist. It makes me mad because every home-birther I've met has been VERY aware of more options than other people even know exist.

Has anyone tried to "make you aware" of things like the vit. K shot or vaccines or other things they usually do at the hospital at birth?

Click the blinkies!

Thank You, Pattyandthemoos, for my beautiful siggy!
June 28th, 2010, 03:25 PM
inyourhonor's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It bothers me that people automatically assume we don't take our childrens health after their births into our best interests. I like you was fully aware and did everything I knew I had to do to Dane after he was born.

Thankfully, i haven't run into anyone such as nurses or doctors about making me aware. Our family doctor for Dane (my oldest sees a different dr whos just as nifty) is home birth friendly and knew that my midwife would discuss all those things with me. We just had to set up our appt with her to get them done haha. Well except the PKU, my midwife did that. We don't do Vit K or eye drops. Hep B shot was delayed .

Its people like that who come across as ignorant. We're not idiots, we made our choices based on solid opinions and feelings with a lot of research.

Killian Rivers born April 17th at 36 weeks

Killian's Birth Story
June 28th, 2010, 03:35 PM
oriel13's Avatar Tishauna
I haven't had a homebirth yet but that would really bother me too. Especially because like you said, it seems to be the other way around - I usually tend to be the one who's better informed and has already researched everything under the sun. I know I wouldn't be comfortable with a homebirth in the first place if that weren't the case!

Maybe I could see that being necessary or helpful for a non-planned homebirth, like the PKU thing, but to do that to everyone who births at home is pretty ridiculous IMO. Plus don't most people who unintentionally deliver at home go to the hospital afterward anyway?

June 28th, 2010, 05:33 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I actually had to ask our doctor for a script to get the PKU testing done, lol.

I had to fight the doctor to get Rebecca out of the hospital (hospital birth after we'd planned a homebirth) for various reasons, and managed to get her out by promising to follow up with a doctor the following day... which I didn't. I went in 4 days later with her.

I fought the doctor to get Elias out after the transport for me and a MISTAKEN ADMITTANCE for him... he had a whole pile of bogus statements about everything for Elias... including "he probably has sepsis, because his blood type is O and you didnt have GBS testing", "he will have jaundice, because of his blood type, and he WILL need the bili lights, breast milk and sunshine are not effective treatments", "the PKU needs to be done within the first 24 hours, because he could die if there is something wrong, and the results will be back in 24 hours" (PKU test takes 2 weeks to come back, and is best done AFTER the mother's milk is in and the baby is metabolizing the stuff)... basically a TOTALLY ridiculous doctor... imo, lol!
June 29th, 2010, 01:44 AM
CameraLinds's Avatar Zane & Jude's mama
Yes!!! They so did this at the vital records office when we went to get DS's birth certificate and then again when we went to get his SScard. And then his pedi was basically almost forcing the hearing test and PKU on us...we hate being pushed and it's our child and our decision!!

June 29th, 2010, 12:04 PM
Isaeph's Avatar Jennifer the Momma
I've never had that stuff happen, but I file all my stuff through the mail. We were over an hour from the main office to get dd's and ds2's birth certificates and I wasn't about to drive up there (no way we could have afforded it with dd anyway). I can only imagine if we did it in person though.

Crunchy, conservative, Christian, homeschooling, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, not-vaccinating, cloth-diapering, baby-wearing, ec-ing, unassisted-birthing, breastmilk donating, Momma to 7yo, 4yo, 2yo, 2mo.
June 29th, 2010, 12:42 PM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Wow, she assumed you didn't now anything because you had a homebirth? I think these nurses need to be made aware.

We didn't run into anything like that. Our area is pretty homebirth friendly, and one of the local Midwives is really close with the hospital and clinic staff. We just mailed in our stuff, didn't need to do it in person.
June 30th, 2010, 04:14 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Was this in Lucas county? I've been through the process 9 times in Lucas Co. and have never had anything like that happen....we've had our share of issues, the ladies not knowing what they were supposed to do etc... I would have been irate and told her to leave me the hell alone.

Mama to:
Nick, 19
Abby, 17
Gabe, 15
Isaac, 13
Mary-Kate, 12
Sam, 11
Henry, 10
Molly, 8
Mark, 7
Greta, 5
Cecilia, 4
Josephine, 2
Evie, born 12.31.13
Baby due in July!
June 30th, 2010, 11:09 AM
inyourhonor's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
A little funny, when we went to file for Dane's SS card the guy who was doing it was so interested in our home birth that he managed to screw up my son's name on his card.

When we got it in the mail, the name was Valentine [Last Name] Dane. Erm, no people!

Killian Rivers born April 17th at 36 weeks

Killian's Birth Story
June 30th, 2010, 07:05 PM
Effervescence's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyfulChaosMama View Post
Was this in Lucas county? I've been through the process 9 times in Lucas Co. and have never had anything like that happen....we've had our share of issues, the ladies not knowing what they were supposed to do etc... I would have been irate and told her to leave me the hell alone.
Nope, we're in Wood. I wasn't really angry, just irritated because we had already had a long day and all three of us just wanted to go home.

Click the blinkies!

Thank You, Pattyandthemoos, for my beautiful siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search