Is it "normal" to feel like this?

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 30th, 2010, 12:11 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I had my third and last baby in October '09 and had everything planned out just how I wanted it to be: I had an awesome midwife, I was going to have a natural waterbirth at our birth center, I've had an unmedicated birth with my 2nd baby, so I knew how to cope with the pain of labor and knew what to expect...well, it didn't turn out the way I wanted it, at all...I ended up being transferred to the local hospital because my contractions quit and everything we were doing at the birth center was not working to get them going again, so I knew I would be put on pitocin at the hospital and I was so exhausted and felt like everything was already ruined anyway that I just got an epidural. I can't get the "what ifs" out of my head, like "what if I would have taken castor oil at the birth center to get things going again?" "what if I would have tried to still go unmedicated even at the hospital?" I guess I am just grieving about this in a way since I dont get to do it over again, he was my last baby and I surely wouldn't want to get pregnant again solely for the fact of trying to have my birth experience that I feel I was robbed of. Has anyone else gone through this? I think about it everyday still, even almost 8 months later. I feel like something is missing, part of me is broken or something. My midwife has told me over and over again to not beat myself up over it and that we did everything we could to make it work and then some but I still just feel like I was robbed of something so important to me, I am beginning to know how some c-section mommies feel, I imagine it's similar. I just feel like I failed...I failed myself, I failed my baby. This is the first time I have actually stepped up and said something about it, ive been pushing it down for a long time.
June 30th, 2010, 08:30 AM
laisydaisymama's Avatar Natural Birth Junkie
birth grief is normal. I had alot of it after my second son was born, it was a medical disaster of a birth. When my daughter was born, it was supposed to be my "redeeming" birth......she was a c-section.

I am planning on a homebirth this time, and I am TERRIFIED of things going wrong YET AGAIN.

grieve your birth, that's ok! Don't think you are overreacting, birth trauma can compare to PTSD in some cases.

-Ginni-
homebirthing, tandem nursing, cosleeping, babywearing, picky vaxing, cloth diapering Christian doula mama

www.lovingbeginning.com
www.givingdiapersgivinghope.org

June 30th, 2010, 09:11 AM
inyourhonor's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yes, grieving a birth is good! Do not stop yourself from feeling upset/hurt/angry whatever it is exactly about how your birth went.

My oldest's birth is my birth trauma. It was a hospital birth, that lead to so many unwanted interventions that lead to an unwanted c-section. He was born healthy andt hat was the biggest matter to me but however, his birth still haunts me. I had so many different ideas of how I wanted it to go and yet nothing happened that way.

My 2nd sons birth was a vbac at home, I was able to heal somewhat from my first birth. I still grieve, I still am hurt but I am learning through my next births that its okay to feel the way I do and that I am healing through them as well.

It took me a long time to 1. become okay with the fact that I was angry and hurt by my first sons birth and 2. that it was okay to feel that way

*hugs*

Killian Rivers born April 17th at 36 weeks

Killian's Birth Story
June 30th, 2010, 07:11 PM
Isaeph's Avatar Jennifer the Momma
I agree with the above posters. My first birth was also traumatic to me. I was treated like a stupid child (I was nearly 21 and married to a 26yo, but I looked very young I guess) and so many things went wrong. I wanted natural and it didn't happen and I STILL cry over it sometimes almost 7y later. And that's my right. And your's too.

Crunchy, conservative, Christian, homeschooling, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, not-vaccinating, cloth-diapering, baby-wearing, ec-ing, unassisted-birthing, breastmilk donating, Momma to 7yo, 4yo, 2yo, 2mo.
June 30th, 2010, 11:48 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thank you ladies, I appreciate the kind words and support.
July 1st, 2010, 09:52 AM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
My first birth was traumatic as well.... I think what you are feeling is completely normal when you feel traumatized. Lots of hugs to you!!

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search