36 week appointment

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 6th, 2010, 10:23 PM
oriel13's Avatar Tishauna
I had my 36 week midwife appointment today. It's the first time she's been out to my house and also the first time I met the student midwife who will be working with her. Maybe it's just me but as nice as the student midwife is, I'm kind of turned off by the idea of yet *another* person present for my birth. I mean: Me, DH, midwife, her backup, my doula, and now a student too? Not to mention my DS and my grandparents will also be here (not at the birth, but in the house)? I'll have to see how I feel about it over the coming weeks before I decide if I will allow her to attend or not.

The appointment itself was pretty short and boring actually. BP is still excellent, measuring on target, no swelling, etc. I'm not even having BH worth paying attention to. It's weird because I was absolutely miserable at this point with DS. I told her I don't get the feeling that I'll be having a baby any time soon at all. She thought that was funny because all her moms, except for one, from May until now have gone 41+. I'm hoping that I break this streak but I won't be surprised if I don't. She offered to do a vaginal check but I declined, I don't plan on having any really. The only hiccup was that she forgot to pack the swab for my GBS test so we'll have to do that at my 38 week appointment.

Believe it or not it still hasn't hit me that I'm past 36 weeks!

July 7th, 2010, 04:44 AM
mommabirdof4
Sounds like a great appointment!!

I can understand about the student...guess you have to search your heart in the next few days/weeks to see if you do want her there.

I am going to be thinking very hard myself about that since we have a very small house.
July 7th, 2010, 05:05 AM
bre4thewin's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bre4thewin
Sounds like a good appt. I dont blaim you for not wanting a million people there.

Thank you Mom2*Lauryn*Jacob* for my gorgeous siggie!

July 7th, 2010, 07:12 AM
laisydaisymama's Avatar Natural Birth Junkie
geez, are you already 36.5 weeks?!? how did that happen??

that does sound like alot of people. I would really consider it though, I always think of how important it is for the student.....but not your first priority by far.

-Ginni-
homebirthing, tandem nursing, cosleeping, babywearing, picky vaxing, cloth diapering Christian doula mama

www.lovingbeginning.com
www.givingdiapersgivinghope.org

July 7th, 2010, 07:58 AM
I think I might be more open to it if I'd had more opportunity to get to know her. But yesterday was literally our 1st meeting and she won't be at my next appointment either. My midwife's backup is also a complete stranger, I wil not meet her at all till the birth. I think it's the idea of having so many unfamiliar people in the house that bothers me.

ETA: I'm totally not okay with her doing any of my exams or anything either, since 1) my midwife has to come behind her and repeat everything and 2) being my first NCB and homebirth I don't know what to expect as it is. So really she would be another outside observer which seems counterproductive to me.

Last edited by oriel13; July 7th, 2010 at 08:03 AM.
July 7th, 2010, 08:07 AM
inyourhonor's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yay for a good even if it was boring appointment! You're so close to you're due date, its crazy I'm stupidly excited for you, is that sad? Haha but then I feel stupidly excited for Ginni too

I would actually call or e-mail your midwife and ask if you can meet with her, student and her back up because you feel uncomfortable with those you don't really know there.

My midwife offers to me to choose who she has there, well except for her student because its important to her to learn. Her student helped deliver Dane so I'm quite comfortable with her now. You should be able to ask her to get to know them a wee bit better. I don't think she'd have an issue with it but then again, I don't actually know your midwife.

At Dane's birth I had my midwife, her student who thankfully I knew longer then 5 weeks before the birth and a midwife friend of hers. Her midwife friend I met when I had bleeding around 35 weeks with Dane. So I didn't really know her but was comfortable with her because she came to my house to check on me when my midwife couldn't, she talked to me to make sure everything was okay. I wouldn't have had her there if I didn't have some sort of connection with her.

At this birth, it will be my midwife, her student and a physicians assistant. Which amuses me to no end honestly , but she wants to get a different view point of births which I think is great.

So in my long rambling, I'd call your midwife and see if she could set something up for you even if you have a longer appt next time. So you can become acquainted with them and comfortable.

How come you're just now meeting her? That has me curious haha

Killian Rivers born April 17th at 36 weeks

Killian's Birth Story
July 7th, 2010, 08:29 AM
my midwife doesn't have a student, but I won't meet her back up until delivery.

-Ginni-
homebirthing, tandem nursing, cosleeping, babywearing, picky vaxing, cloth diapering Christian doula mama

www.lovingbeginning.com

July 7th, 2010, 09:45 AM
Apparently my midwife took her student on in May after I'd already had my appt that month. My appointment in June is when she told me she had a student. I didn't meet her then since she stayed home that day with her sick son. So this month was the first and only time we've met. Her student is also a doula and has already been booked for a birth/post-partum doula job during the time of my 38-40 week appointments. So yesterday my midwife said she'd be the only one coming out to see me again till the birth.

If I were at a hospital it would be expected, but having the birth at my *small* home and with us already having extended family around... it's kind of stressing me out.

I think I will ask my midwife about at least meeting the woman she will call as backup, but whether we will be able to get anything together or not (since they each have their own busy practices) I don't know.

July 7th, 2010, 10:26 AM
maybe you could meet up with her in the meantime without your midwife, just to have talked to her more....?

-Ginni-

www.lovingbeginning.com

July 9th, 2010, 07:36 AM
GranolaMamaOf3's Avatar ~Heather~
Quote:
Originally Posted by inyourhonor View Post

How come you're just now meeting her? That has me curious haha
I've been wondering the same thing!

My midwife has had her student at every appt so far! I really like her, and I'm very comfortable with her being at the birth, but that's only because I've gotten to know her (almost as well as my midwife)!

I would definitely ask if she could bring her along to you next few appts, so you have a chance to get to know her better!...Then make you decision on how many people you feel comfortable with.

Never mind...I just read your post...So even if she's not with her doula client, she wouldn't come??

Bottom line- if you are not comfortable, then just tell your MW that (with your small house) you are concerned with having too many people, and you would rather she not come.

July 9th, 2010, 11:22 AM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
I'm sorry you are just now meeting her. I'd express your concerns to your midwife. My midwives have two assistants (students). I clicked with one, but not with the other, and I specifically requested that one student to be present. She ended up being with me for the majority of my labor and really being the most helpful and inspiring to me. I love my midwives, but this student really has a special place in my heart and my memories.

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search