Birthing tub/pool

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 30th, 2010, 08:28 PM
GranolaMamaOf3's Avatar ~Heather~
So I found out at my last MW appt that the birthing pool rental fee is NOT included in the midwife's fee. It's an additional $200! (up until this point I was under the impression it was included)...So, DH and I decided that we didn't have much choice, and would have to rent it, because our tub is just not big enough!...Kind of a bummer, but what else could we do?....Ummm...buy our own? (duh!) My Bradley instructor recommended this to us at our birth class tonight (Why didn't I think of that?!)

She suggested a blow-up kiddie pool. My only concern it that we find one that is a) deep enough, and b) sturdy enough that I could lean on the side without worrying about it collapsing.....Has any one successfully used a kiddie pool before? OR...Does anyone have any recommendations for a birthing tub/pool? I have no idea how much these would normally run, but my thought was, if I'm going to spend $200, I'd kinda like to have something to show for it in the end!

July 30th, 2010, 09:07 PM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
OH, I can't remember the site, but if you google birth pool kiddie tub or something along those lines you'll come up with many different brands under $100, Josh and I were going to buy one but then my MW told me that her fee included the tub, so we didn't buy one.

Sorry for the unexpected news, but there is hope!!

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

July 31st, 2010, 04:05 AM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
We did the rental from my midwives and had the la bassine tub, it was AMAZING and so much better than the blow up kiddie pool I had with Kate's birth. We had this one for Kate's birth..

Water Birth Pools & Tubs for homebirth or hospital waterbirths. Water Birth Pools for hombirth and hospital waterbirth. Water Birth Pools and tubs Accessories from Your Water Birth

basically you get what you paid for. I mean it served its purpose, but comparing that to the La Bassine is like comparing apples to oranges. I couldn't get very comfortable with the aquarium pool. I couldn't kneel and be covered in water, and I'm only 5 foot tall.

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
July 31st, 2010, 05:55 AM
Alison79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We rented my midwife's pool for $200. It is one of the ones that is heated and has jets. It was worth every penny because without it I don't think I would have had a water birth due to the position of the baby and length of my labor I needed something that I could do a full squat in and still be underwater. Plus, having the jets aim right at my belly during a contraction was amazing pain management. I birthed my daughter in our home bath tub and it was great for her birth so every labor is just so different.

July 31st, 2010, 07:40 AM
laisydaisymama's Avatar Natural Birth Junkie
our tub is included in the fee.....I have the la bassine here already.

looking at that website, it looks like you could buy your own for less than your midwife's rental fee......but that's before shipping. Then you need a pump and other things. If hers IS jetted and heated, then I'd say go with that, but if it's not, I'd be considering buying one.

-Ginni-
homebirthing, tandem nursing, cosleeping, babywearing, picky vaxing, cloth diapering Christian doula mama

www.lovingbeginning.com
www.givingdiapersgivinghope.org

July 31st, 2010, 08:24 AM
Yeah, depth is definitely a concern of mine, as I'm quite tall (5' 9").

I was looking at this one on ebay- NEW AquaBorn Personal Birth Tub (includes lid & liner) - eBay (item 140345581736 end time Aug-08-10 09:58:39 PDT) It looks like it would be deeper (30"), and offers handles for easier movement, but it still wouldn't have the jets or heater...I'm pretty sure my midwife uses the AguaDoula, which is heated, but I'm not certain that is would have jets.

Are there different sizes of the la bassine? Because the one I saw when I googled it was only 24" deep (no deeper than a kiddie pool)

August 1st, 2010, 07:05 AM
Birds_of_a_feather's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm surprise rental fees would be so high when you can buy a birthing pool for less than that

La Bassine Water Birth Pool - Home birth supplies kits, herbs, Organic teas, midwifery supplies, gift ideas, water birth, breastfeeding supplies and more. Mama Goddess Birth Shop - Vancouver, Canada

August 1st, 2010, 09:26 AM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I love the La Bassine, and I even do rentals for it because I love it so much. You can buy it for like $150 I think off of Water Birth Pools and tubs Accessories from Your Water Birth
August 2nd, 2010, 07:39 AM
I think we've finally decided on the AquaBorn. We were going between the La Bassine and the AquaBorn, and for a difference of about $40, I think it will best suit our needs.

For one, it's designed to be able to accommodate two people, which I like should I want DH to be in with me. Also, it's both deeper and longer, and with my height I think it will be more comfortable.

The biggest drawback is that it uses significantly more water (170 gal, compared to the 100 gal that the La Bassine uses), but I guess that's to be expected with the size difference....Now, lets just hope it's not too big!

So, has anyone ever used it??

Last edited by GranolaMamaOf3; August 2nd, 2010 at 07:50 AM.
August 2nd, 2010, 07:47 AM
We'll be ordering it from here- Aquaborn Eco Personal Pool with Lid and Liner, Environmentally Friendly Pool! They have the best price we could find on both the pool and shipping, and they look like a really nice company. and they are the closets to us so it shouldn't take long for it to get here.
We will also be ordering our birth kit from them, because for $5 more than what we were going to be paying for our birth kit, it's a lot nicer (includes everything the other one did, plus more), and they don't charge shipping on birth kits! So it's definitely a better deal!

August 2nd, 2010, 11:47 AM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
Looks great!!

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search