Couple Questions

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 3rd, 2010, 07:48 AM
Mega Super Mommy
So I am switch from a OB hospital birth (which is what I did before) to a MW home birth at about 30 weeks. After my initial consult, I do have a few questions:

1. I live in NV which is not the most progressive birthing place (there are no birth centers, midwives cannot deliever in hospitals, etc...). It appears here that only CPMs do home births here. While there are CNMs they only work as part of OB practices and do not do the actual delivery. I could not find out that much online regarding CPM training qualifications, other than it seems to be a registration thing... Does anyone have more information?

2. The only thing my MW said that made me a little nervous (it is just different than what I am used to), is that while she used to do urine checks she does not anymore unless there are other symptoms. It made me a little nervous since I am nervous that the pregnancy could mask other symptoms (like frequent urination). Thoughts on this?

3. Lastly, I know it sounds silly, but I am sure it is a common concern. One of my biggest concerns about HB is the potential mess. We have (impractically) white carpeting throughout my house. What I like about HB is the freedom to go where I am comfortable, bed, rocker, bath, however I am concerned that unless I cover my house with plastic tarps that I am going to be too nervous to go anywhere. I know most birthing kits have one plastic drop cloth and a bunch of pads, is it worth while to get more plastic?

Thanks

August 3rd, 2010, 08:57 AM
GranolaMamaOf3's Avatar ~Heather~
CNM and CPM are not all that different...Both have a formal education, but CNM also have their RN. (making them a nurse midwife, which does qualify them to do a little more, such as IV's) Some hospitals allow them, and others don't. It just depends on your area. CPM are completely certified, but are not allowed (at least not that I know of) to provide hospital care.

In my area CNM's are not allowed by Dr's to do home births(legality issues), only hospital care, so almost all home births are attended by lay MW's or CPM's....further east, it's completely different, and CNM do a lot of HB as well.

Not sure if that helps you any...You might find more info on these- What is a Certified Professional Midwife? What is a Certified Professional Midwife?

As for the urine testing...All MW's and Dr's are different on this one. My last MW (CNM in a hospital) Never once tested me, and said it was unnecessary to do routinely. She kept an eye on my blood pressure, and if I had had any significant water retention, she would have looked into it further. (with a urine test, etc..). My current MW (a CPM who does HB) checks my urine every time! Sooo they all have their own way of doing things!

In regards to the floor, I would probably get some extra plastic, and have a few large towels on hand as well (use the plastic in the main areas, and the towels for smaller paths when/if needed)

Last edited by GranolaMamaOf3; August 3rd, 2010 at 08:59 AM.
August 3rd, 2010, 10:42 AM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
Great description of the differences between CPMs and CNMs.

As for the mess, I'd suggest getting a couple shower curtain liners, they are really cheap and serve the purpose of covering or layering areas. I'd also have at least 8 old towels on hand (more so if you plan on having a waterbirth). With my first homebirth, we were renting our house at the time and it had light off white carpet throughout, I was so concerned about the mess... but we just covered the birthing area with some tarps and it went fine with minimal mess, and no carpet stains!!

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
August 3rd, 2010, 12:14 PM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
1. A CNM is a nurse first. They do their 4 years of nursing school, then have 1 year in a Labor and Delivery floor as a nurse and then they do an additional 1-2 years of Midwifery studies. When I looked into it it wasn't a Masters for Midwifery like others can be.

A CPM is different, and you don't have to be a nurse beforhand. Here you can learn about it The North American Registry of Midwives

CNMs can only recieve certification through a CNM accredited program. CPMs are certified through a certification that was made by other Midwives and it's not a formal school. CPMs may be as trained and educated as a CNM, but that is something you need to check out with your individual CPM.

2. Personally I prefer to have my urine checked. My MW did do that at each appointment. You can buy the urine checkers like the MW's use online at Midwifery Medical Equipment and Birth Supplies: Urinalysis My MW used the OB urine sticks.

3. There is usually not much of a mess. Typically you may have more of a mess in the hospital because of the way you are birthing, lying on your back. But if you stand, squat or are on all fours it reduces the blood loss. You will also have a lot of chux pads in your birth kit and you can buy more individually at the same online store you buy your birth kit from. You can also buy a bunch of cheap towels to put where you think you may give birth. If you're in a birth pool or tub then you shouldn't have much mess except for in the water, which will be drained. After you get settled in bed or on the couch, the MW will clean up the mess for you. When I came out to use the bathroom after giving birth in my living room, you couldn't tell a birth had taken place at all, except fo the birth pool still up in my dinning room.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search