Honest Question... please no harassment...

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 1st, 2010, 06:24 PM
Platinum Supermommy
If you have a boy in a homebirth, how do you circumsize them if you decide too?

Please no slamming me... I have just always wondered this...
September 1st, 2010, 06:34 PM
laisydaisymama's Avatar Natural Birth Junkie
same as when you have a hospital birth, just not quite as soon, and you have to take them in.

I had my first boy in a hospital, he was circ'd at 2 days old, right before we came home.

Second boy was a preemie, NICU doesn't circ, not a priority. Took him in to get it done about a week after he came home, approx 1 month old.

Third boy was born at home, had his first check up at 1 week old, scheduled it then, had it done at 2 weeks old, same procedure as my second, took him in, outpatient, up to the nursery, took him home about an hour later.

-Ginni-
homebirthing, tandem nursing, cosleeping, babywearing, picky vaxing, cloth diapering Christian doula mama

www.lovingbeginning.com
www.givingdiapersgivinghope.org

September 1st, 2010, 06:43 PM
Platinum Supermommy
So you scheduled it through your pedi then?
September 1st, 2010, 08:00 PM
laisydaisymama's Avatar Natural Birth Junkie
yup, my family dr, we don't see a pedi. I asked him ahead of time, when do you want to see him after birth and when will we schedule the circ. He said one week, and we'll schedule it then.

-Ginni-
homebirthing, tandem nursing, cosleeping, babywearing, picky vaxing, cloth diapering Christian doula mama

www.lovingbeginning.com
www.givingdiapersgivinghope.org

September 1st, 2010, 08:31 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Thank you...

I didn't know if family dr did it after birth or if MW did it, but thank you so much for the info...
September 1st, 2010, 08:32 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
yeah, through your pedi. I think a lot of hospitals are starting to do it that way too. We aren't planning to circumsize, but you also might check with your insurances. Some are beginning to not cover it and consider it "cosmetic surgery"

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

September 1st, 2010, 09:24 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Yea its approx 400 dollar procedure...

A friend of mine couldn't figure out why she owed the hospital money when her isurance was to cover it, found out that it was the circ and that her insurance doesn't cover it...
September 2nd, 2010, 05:08 AM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We didn't circ. Our Ped. did talk to us about it though becaused he does with all his clients. He said that they don't do them until 2 weeks at his office because he likes the babies to have established good eating first, and it's $280 if your insurance doesn't cover it, which ours does for some reason. So if you have a boy at home you'd just schedule an appointment to get circumsized.
September 2nd, 2010, 07:14 AM
Isaeph's Avatar Jennifer the Momma
If you circ, you should wait a minimum of 8 days...the body's natural supply of vitamin k peaks then. I don't think it should ever be done right after birth. We had ds1 in hospital and then his pedi circ'd him at 3w. It was supposed to be 2w, but we had scheduling issues. We had ds2 at home and did not circ him, but if we would have, we'd have just taken him to the pedi sometime after 8 days.

Crunchy, conservative, Christian, homeschooling, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, not-vaccinating, cloth-diapering, baby-wearing, ec-ing, unassisted-birthing, breastmilk donating, Momma to 7yo, 4yo, 2yo, 2mo.
September 2nd, 2010, 07:56 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We had our son at the hospital and the peditrician did the circ. about a week later. This time since we are doing a HB if we have a boy the peditrician will do the circ, in the office about a week later. One thing you may want to check is a lot of peditricians will not circ. if the baby has not gotten a vitamine K shot (some will accept the oral some won't), so if we have a boy we will bring him in a few days after his birth for the vit K shot and then about a week after for the actual circ.

September 2nd, 2010, 09:42 AM
CameraLinds's Avatar Zane & Jude's mama
If we chose to circumsize we would have waited 8 days and had a Rabbi do it. (even though we aren't Jewish)

September 2nd, 2010, 11:52 AM
Alison79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindsLuvsSi View Post
If we chose to circumsize we would have waited 8 days and had a Rabbi do it. (even though we aren't Jewish)
There is a local Rabbi who serves the home birth community. I haven't used him but I have friends who have and were very pleased.
September 2nd, 2010, 06:59 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We would have used a Mohel had we chosen to circ as well. There is one about 20 mins from us who will circ non-Jews.

On the insurance issue-- our insurance is being a royal pain about covering the PKU NEWBORN SCREEN, because it wasn't done "in the newborn stay at the hospital". HE WAS A HOMEBIRTH FOR GOODNESS SAKE there wasn't a 'newborn stay'!!! We've got the decision in appeals, but we suspect they wouldn't have covered a circ either, because it wouldn't have been done as the 'newborn stay' thing either... and then we'd have the screen and the circ to pay for out of pocket. Yeah... definitely find out what your insurance covers, and what their TERMS for covering things are, because while our insurance covers the newborn screening, they "don't cover it" when it isn't done as part of the 48 hour hospital stay... basically a 'punishment' for not birthing in the hospital, imo!
September 2nd, 2010, 10:20 PM
Platinum Supermommy
How do you the newborn procedures done with a home birth?
September 3rd, 2010, 01:15 AM
CameraLinds's Avatar Zane & Jude's mama
Are you referring to things like vax, vitamin k, eye goo, PKU testing, etc???

We personally chose not to do anything for our son. But if we would have our MW had oral vitamin K to administer to DS and either her or DS's pedi would have done the PKU test and any vax's we chose to give.

September 3rd, 2010, 07:00 AM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
My midwife was able to do the PKU screening test. And I took Vit K Supplements the last month and first 2 weeks of post partum.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

September 3rd, 2010, 07:17 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Our midwife will do the PKU. We will take him/her to the peditrician within a day or two for vit. K injection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedicBaby21 View Post
How do you the newborn procedures done with a home birth?

September 5th, 2010, 12:57 PM
Super Mommy
Thanks for asking this question...and the answers! I just asked this on my DDC, lol.
September 10th, 2010, 07:09 AM
Hey There's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had to call around (since it was my first and he didn't have a pediatrician). It was actually a bigger pain than I thought it was going to be. Most of the pediatricians wouldn't do it in their office and I was told multiple times 'oh they usually do that in a hospital.' Well...he wasn't born in a hospital :-). There was also the fact that he didn't get the Vitamin K shot. Some places even said they would only do it as a surgical procedure. Um, no thanks. No anesthesthia for my 4 week old! I think I waited too long so I would suggest trying to get it figured out before the baby makes his/her debut. In the end, I did find a family practice Dr. that was willing to do it in her office. I had no idea it'd be such an ordeal but in the end, it worked out fine.
September 11th, 2010, 04:35 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We didn't have any reason to worry about the eye drops, we opt out of most vaccinations (so no need for the Hep B shot), and neither of our children were high risk for hemorrhaging, so we didn't worry about vitamin K for either of them. Our midwife isn't allowed to administer it, so had it been needed, we'd have been heading for the hospital to get it. PKU testing our midwife can do, or the ped/family doctor can do/order it done.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search