Has anyone ever used a kiddy pool instead of a birthing pool to birth in?

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 26th, 2010, 08:26 AM
Voodoo_Lady's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We're trying to save some money and were wondering if buying a $30 blow-up kids pool would work just as well (or almost as well) as a $150 birthing pool. Anyone here ever tried it?

September 26th, 2010, 05:38 PM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
I've done it. I used the $30 pool with my 1st home birth (my 3rd birth) and then had one of the $150 pools for my 2nd home birth (my 4th birth). I personally liked the more expensive pool a lot better, but the inexpensive pool worked just fine overall.

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
September 26th, 2010, 07:04 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I've heard a lot of people using the fishy one....If I convince dh of a homebirth...it'll definitely be the one I go for...unless I can find a deal locally from someone who might be done with their more expensive one.

We aren't to give a baby milk, berries, or peanut butter. We are to introduce new foods one at a time. But it's OK to inject several viruses, bacteria, aluminum, formaldehyde, phenoxyethanol, animal serum, mercury, squalene and more into an 8 week old? I don't think so.
In order to be healthy it is an unfortunate fact that people must be allowed the opportunity to be ill. I trust my body and those of my children to work correctly against the relatively benign diseases they vax for, and do not trust the ingredients in the vaccinations.
Our choice to not vax isn't based in ignorance, poverty, conspiracy theory and rumor. It's research, common sense, fact and evidence based..something the medical community has largely forgot about.
September 27th, 2010, 03:32 PM
GranolaMamaOf3's Avatar ~Heather~
The biggest difference, and thing to keep in mind is depth. If you are just wanting it to birth in, then it's not as big of a deal...but if you are wanting it for comfort/pain relief, then you may have a hard time covering yourself.

We considered a kiddie pool, but I'm quite tall so we decided to spend the extra money on a birth pool...and I'm sooo glad we did! It was wonderful! I liked that I could be on hands and knees and still have my lower back under water.

Just a thought!

September 27th, 2010, 05:16 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Good thought...Hmmm...I'll have to keep that in mind

We aren't to give a baby milk, berries, or peanut butter. We are to introduce new foods one at a time. But it's OK to inject several viruses, bacteria, aluminum, formaldehyde, phenoxyethanol, animal serum, mercury, squalene and more into an 8 week old? I don't think so.
In order to be healthy it is an unfortunate fact that people must be allowed the opportunity to be ill. I trust my body and those of my children to work correctly against the relatively benign diseases they vax for, and do not trust the ingredients in the vaccinations.
Our choice to not vax isn't based in ignorance, poverty, conspiracy theory and rumor. It's research, common sense, fact and evidence based..something the medical community has largely forgot about.
September 27th, 2010, 06:46 PM
Lonomia's Avatar Super Hot Mommy
I used two different types of kiddie pools. With my first birth I used a very large, shallow pool and with my second I used the notorious fishy pool. I did not use my pool for pain relief, just for the short time before pushing and delivery. I was completely naked both times so modesty was not an issue.

September 28th, 2010, 11:22 AM
c'est_la_vie's Avatar Is it nap time yet?
We spent 200$ to rent a very nice one from our midwife, but what she told us about the cons of the kiddie pools.. No way to keep water warm.. So it will most likely become uncomfortable. I know with my first I wanted the water HOT!

Also, no pump.. No way to get all the "goodies" out afterwards.. Which means someone is going to have to bucket by bucket dispose of the aftermath. Which also means filling it up will be a PITA!

I would check around to see if someone has one for rent, or if even your midwife knows of someone or has one.

October 2nd, 2010, 06:14 AM
Voodoo_Lady's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
To rent one here would cost $300+. but they do set it up and come pick it up. I definitely think a birthing pool would be better than a kiddie pool after reading these responses and doing some research. I think we may skip the pool altogether after all though. I spent some time in the tub during labour with my first. I don't think I was a fan of the heat since I was sweating and uncomfy (so the heating issue wouldn't be a big deal). I've heard a shower works great too.

Thanks for your help ladies!

October 2nd, 2010, 07:54 AM
Platinum Supermommy
yeah I used a HOT shower for pain relief....and then birthed in the tub of "warm" water (the temp the midwife set so it wasn't too hot for the baby)....this was ideal for me....just worried that our hot water heater wouldn't hold up for me since it's in our home instead of the birthing center....

Anyway...It's been great to read all these...I'm so happy this post was started

October 2nd, 2010, 08:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by c'est_la_vie View Post
We spent 200$ to rent a very nice one from our midwife, but what she told us about the cons of the kiddie pools.. No way to keep water warm.. So it will most likely become uncomfortable. I know with my first I wanted the water HOT!

Also, no pump.. No way to get all the "goodies" out afterwards.. Which means someone is going to have to bucket by bucket dispose of the aftermath. Which also means filling it up will be a PITA!

I would check around to see if someone has one for rent, or if even your midwife knows of someone or has one.
Actually this isn't true all the time. We used a hose right from our hot water heater to fill the pool both times, and the water stayed fine both times. And as for clean up, you can siphon the water right out with a hose.... our hose just went out our bedroom window and into the yard. Or you can siphon it into the hose and then to your bathtub so it goes down the drain. Doesn't matter what pool you have, this can be done with both.

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
October 2nd, 2010, 08:43 AM
c'est_la_vie's Avatar Is it nap time yet?
LOL.. Not in my apartment.. The hot water heater is in the basement (& we're on the 3rd floor).. And yeah.. If we siphon water out our window I'm sure the police will come knocking. LOL

October 3rd, 2010, 05:32 PM
Oh goodness, could you imagine?!?! Definitely do not want to siphon water out being on the 3rd floor!!!! I agree, not a good decision at all!!

October 4th, 2010, 04:37 PM
Mom to 4 girls!!
Check out this link. It is located in Burl/Oakville area, not too far from you.

The Gentle Birth Company: Water - Nature's gift to labouring women! ECO BIRTH POOLS
Quinn Olivia Born at home Jan.13th, 2011, 7:37 am 9 lbs. 12 oz

October 4th, 2010, 10:21 PM
laisydaisymama's Avatar Natural Birth Junkie
having labored in the tub (I ended up not delivering in the tub) I can't imagine having used a kiddie pool. The depth was important and so was the bottom. even with all the water and me in the tub, the bottom was very cushy and felt good to sit or kneel on. Also, the sides were strong enough for me to comfortably lay back against or lean over and feel very supported.

-Ginni-
homebirthing, tandem nursing, cosleeping, babywearing, picky vaxing, cloth diapering Christian doula mama

www.lovingbeginning.com
www.givingdiapersgivinghope.org

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search