When labor starts..

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 3rd, 2010, 09:55 AM
c'est_la_vie's Avatar Is it nap time yet?
When did you feel the need to call your midwife about your labor?

Were you worried it was a false start?

When did you set up your tub or birthing area?

Also, what did you wear?

October 3rd, 2010, 10:12 AM
Lonomia's Avatar Super Hot Mommy
I could definitely tell I was in real labor. I was having mildly painful contractions every 5-10 mins and they were not subsiding. I called my Midwife an hour after this. She arrived two hrs after my contractions started and I was 6cm.

We started to set everything up as soon as contractions started because I knew I would be delivering that day. My body told me it was in labor.

I wore a sleeveless nightgown until I got into the tub and then I stripped down naked.

October 3rd, 2010, 12:41 PM
Alison79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My Midwive is my best friend and she happened to be over for dinner the night I went into labor. She took her kids home and came back a few hours later.

I wore a dress for labor and put on a black sport bra when I got into the tub. We had a birth photographer so I wanted to wear something that would cover enough so I could share the pictures. We used a TheraSpa tub and it was set up when I was 37 weeks.

October 3rd, 2010, 01:08 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
it was different with each.

#1 (hospital birth) I had no doubt in my mind it was labor. I had the classic "TV show" moment where suddenly you double over from a contraction. Labor was just *bam!* there. I called the midwife when they got to about 5 minutes apart steadily - it was about 4 hours into labor, she came to my house about 7 hours after labor started. Got to the hospital and into the tub (in just a sports bra) about 5 hours before the baby was born

#2 (birth center) I spent the first 2 hours of labor thinking it was just pain from being constipated and pissed off because I wanted to sleep. Then I realized it was labor . Called the midwife about 4 hours into labor, met at the birth center and got into the tub a little over an hour before the baby was born (again, just a sports bra)

#3 (home) I really questioned whether it was "real" labor as I'd been having stop-start contractions for several days. At some point (about 3ish hours into active labor) I had a contraction that made me go "um, that hurt, give me the phone, I'm calling the midwife!!". She came to the house and we got the tub set up about 2 hours before the baby was born. Again, I just wore a sports bra, though earlier in labor I also wore some super stretchy pj pants

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

October 3rd, 2010, 02:31 PM
Voodoo_Lady's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
When did you feel the need to call your midwife about your labor? When I first saw the Bloody Show....so immediately

Were you worried it was a false start? No, I was worried I did something wrong (I started my labour with castor oil, but I hadn't read much on the Bloody Show)

When did you set up your tub or birthing area? After talking to my midwives my ex-DH and I dragged the futon out to the living room and layered the sheets, etc.

Also, what did you wear? I believe I was wearing a t-shirt and some non-maternity jean shorts a couple of sizes bigger than my pre-preggo size. I also spent a chunk of time naked in the bathroom (on the toilet or in the tub). When we transferred to the hospital I wore a gown

October 3rd, 2010, 05:30 PM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
This is about my last birth...

When did you feel the need to call your midwife about your labor? I called a couple hours after I had bloody show and contractions had started, they started around 5-7 minutes apart, but I was only 37 weeks

Were you worried it was a false start? I did because I was only 37 weeks and had gone to 41 weeks with my third.

When did you set up your tub or birthing area? not soon enough. my midwife brought a pool over when she came to check on me, and DH started setting it up around 2:30pm, it was finally ready around 5:30pm... I got in it immediately and Paul was born around 6pm

Also, what did you wear? white bra while I was in the water.

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
October 4th, 2010, 12:38 AM
CameraLinds's Avatar Zane & Jude's mama
We called my MW when my contractions were 5-1-1. (Was contracting for about 10 hours prior to them getting to that point)

Not worried it was a false labor because I had acupuncture 2 hours before I got contrax and he was almost 2 weeks late so I knew he was/had to be coming.

My MW didn't set up the birthing pool until I was 7cm, which was about 22 hours into labor. I wish it was sooner though. Only in there for 4.5hours. I'm pretty sure the MW set up the birthing supplies after they arrived when I was 3-4cm. (DH and I stayed in our room most of the labor and hte MWs stayed in the living room, I wanted privacy and just DH, but that changed at 7cm when I got into the pool, was in the room with them)

Let's see- I wore one of DH's tees with some yoga type pants and then for the birthing pool was a black sports bra- will be wearing the same bra this time too

October 4th, 2010, 07:25 AM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
When did you feel the need to call your midwife about your labor? My water broke at 1 am, contractions started at 2:30 am and I called her around 5 am and she came over at 9 am.

Were you worried it was a false start? Nope, I knew it was the real deal.

When did you set up your tub or birthing area? 5 am when I couldnt' lay down anymore.

Also, what did you wear? I wore pj pants with a tank top when I went for walks, and when I was at home I wore my bikini. In the end I only had the bikini top on until he was born.
October 4th, 2010, 10:24 AM
Mega Super Mommy
When did you feel the need to call your midwife about your labor? I stuggled with this, but my doula said she would come in early labor (since I went so fast last time)-- and she is a MW in training so she can do cervical checks which I think will halp deterime when we call the MW

Were you worried it was a false start? As we speak... I have never noticed BH contractions and with my son I hardly noticed any contractions until I was in active labor (I just do not think I am sensitive to them like most people are). Last night I noticed period/abdominal cramping in my lower front abdomin with a distinctive start and stop, but I could still walk, talk, drive, and carry my toddler through them. I am at work and they have continued but no more intensity. I am concerned because I do not want to go into hard labor or have my water break at work, but I also could go another 3-4 weeks and do not want to run home 20 times during that time for nothing.

When did you set up your tub or birthing area? We are using our normal tub. Our birthing area go set up last weekend at 37 weeks.

Also, what did you wear? I am pretty modest, especially since we are video taping. I have a couple of sports bras and sarongs which I would wear even in the tub.

October 4th, 2010, 06:28 PM
Sk8ermaiden's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
When did you feel the need to call your midwife about your labor? I called her when I was pretty sure I was in labor.

Were you worried it was a false start? Definitely. It sure felt like the real thing though! It didn't help that when the midwife got there I was still a 1 and my contractions died completely down. Had a fast labor after that though!

When did you set up your tub or birthing area? We managed to get the plastic sheet and throwaway sheets on the bed, but that was it as far as set up. I was expecting to have like 5+ minutes between contractions and ramp up slowly and nap and putter and maybe get food going for the birth team, but with contractions less than a minute apart, that was NOT happening.

Also, what did you wear? I wore the soft black criss cross (no snaps or anything) nursing bra that motherhood makes and a binsi birth skirt.

October 6th, 2010, 06:01 AM
marialena's Avatar Veteran
When did you feel the need to call your midwife about your labor? I kept my midwife infomed when I started having contractions but that had been several times over the week before I delivered. I didn't call for her to come over until the contractions had suddenly increased in intensity even though they were not regular (they never got regular). She was there at 11:30pm, set up and Mariah was born at 3:09am

Were you worried it was a false start? To start with, but not once they increased in their intensity

When did you set up your tub or birthing area? I had the bithing area set up for about a month or so prior to delivering at 41 weeks

Also, what did you wear? After I got out of the tub I wore a very soft flowered tank top. This time I want something a lot nicer but still as comfortable since I will have a photographer.

October 11th, 2010, 11:30 AM
HippyMomOf4's Avatar Hippy Mom Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to HippyMomOf4 Send a message via MSN to HippyMomOf4 Send a message via Yahoo to HippyMomOf4
Since I haven't had the hehe yet LOL ill probably call when my contractions are 5 min apart she only lives like 10 min from me.

Yes ill worry I had a lot of false labor with my son

Ill have Dh set it up right away just in case thing go fast

Ill wear a t-shirt most likely with shorts or.yoga pants till I can't wear pants anymore. For the tub ill wear.a bikini top

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search