xpost: Is this a bit odd?

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 4th, 2010, 07:40 PM
Isabelle's Avatar 3 Princes & 1 Princess
Have to share!

OMG! So funny. I've been seeing my new OB/midwife group since the beginning of this pregnancy. Normally I walk into the office and the nurse calls me back, she asks me to pee in a cup, weighs me and takes my blood pressure. Exactly what I've done in the past with all my pregnancies at my 'old' OB's office.

Well tonight's appt. was WEIRD!

I walk in and the receptionist asks me if I check myself in or if the nurse does it? What?? I told her I had no clue what she was talking about. So she laughs and says that the nurse must do it then. Okay..whatever.

I then get called back and the nurse says to me that the midwives like their patients to check themselves in. What? She explains that when I come into the office the receptionist will give me my chart. I will then take a PH Strip and pee in a cup and check my PH against the chart and mark the results in my chart. What?? Then I will weigh myself and write my weight in my chart. Again, what?

After she tells me all the above she tells me that she's going to check my blood pressure, so I look at her with a smirk and a slightly sarcastic tone and say to her, "shouldn't I be taking my own blood pressure??" She said "no" we do that for you. I told her she'd better watch it or she'd be out of a job soon after all this.

I can't even believe it. So now I have to check myself in when I walk thru the door. Check my urine for sugars & proteins, mark the results in my own medical chart and then weigh myself and chart it down again.

Could someone tell me Nurse Nancy...what are YOU doing while I'm doing your job?????

I just can't get over this and found it so profound that I started laughing. Are you kidding me????

Anyone else do this? Is this normal? I've never, ever done this and always had a nurse do this for me when I was pregnant with my last 3 pregnancies in my old office. And I had to switch from my old office to this new one as the old one no longer does OB work.

Hummmm... So odd

October 4th, 2010, 10:13 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
with my last pregnancy my midwife did it like that somewhat. Of course, this was at her home office, not an OB office. I weighed myself and did the pee stick, but most of the time she compared it to the little color strip, though I asked to look once cause I was curious

Most medical offices would do it all for you though, it is pretty weird that they give you your chart and want you to do it all yourself... seems like they'd want to do it for liability reasons...

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

October 4th, 2010, 10:25 PM
laisydaisymama's Avatar Natural Birth Junkie
I thought about liability too, they are assuming you are intelligent enough to be able to read the strip and chart it correctly? lol, I have done the strips, they can be hard to read sometimes!

-Ginni-
homebirthing, tandem nursing, cosleeping, babywearing, picky vaxing, cloth diapering Christian doula mama

www.lovingbeginning.com
www.givingdiapersgivinghope.org

October 5th, 2010, 12:47 AM
CameraLinds's Avatar Zane & Jude's mama
I've done it myself with both pregnancies. (Though my MWs write the results in my chart) I even did my own group B test swap

October 5th, 2010, 11:08 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I did it for myself with my birthing center birth with midwives....the pee test and the weight at least....I'd give her the result and she's mark it down, though....I didn't mark my own chart

We aren't to give a baby milk, berries, or peanut butter. We are to introduce new foods one at a time. But it's OK to inject several viruses, bacteria, aluminum, formaldehyde, phenoxyethanol, animal serum, mercury, squalene and more into an 8 week old? I don't think so.
In order to be healthy it is an unfortunate fact that people must be allowed the opportunity to be ill. I trust my body and those of my children to work correctly against the relatively benign diseases they vax for, and do not trust the ingredients in the vaccinations.
Our choice to not vax isn't based in ignorance, poverty, conspiracy theory and rumor. It's research, common sense, fact and evidence based..something the medical community has largely forgot about.
October 5th, 2010, 11:16 AM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
My midwives had me do this myself as well with my appts. i weighed myself and did my own urine tests... heck I even did my GBS test myself.

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
October 5th, 2010, 01:00 PM
Mom to 4 girls!!
This is totally normal for midwives. The whole idea is taking your own health and wellness into your own hands....it's not a drive through! You are in charge! I check my own urine and don't even weigh myself... not concerned.

When it comes for the Step B test, you do it yourself. No need to have a doc or nurse do the swab, it's your body....you run the show!!!

You should be glad you are able to take your own health into your own hands.... pregnancy is not a medical condition....it's perfectly natural and normal.
Quinn Olivia Born at home Jan.13th, 2011, 7:37 am 9 lbs. 12 oz

October 5th, 2010, 01:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemama View Post
This is totally normal for midwives. The whole idea is taking your own health and wellness into your own hands....it's not a drive through! You are in charge! I check my own urine and don't even weigh myself... not concerned.

When it comes for the Step B test, you do it yourself. No need to have a doc or nurse do the swab, it's your body....you run the show!!!

You should be glad you are able to take your own health into your own hands.... pregnancy is not a medical condition....it's perfectly natural and normal.

It just threw me for a loop I've seen midwives for my last 3 pregnancies in another office and always had a nurse do these things. I found it interesting that's all

October 5th, 2010, 01:55 PM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
Hm, I have to admit I might be a bit put off w/ doing ALL of that. W/ my pregnancies my MW came to my home and I did the urine strip. We'd look at it together because I could never tell what the colors meant. She wrote everything down, not me. I did the Group B for both too. Weight never mattered, we just talked about that randomly.

While I may understand pregnancy and birth, I also don't have any type of medical degree and don't know how to use urine strips and don't feel comfortable writing things in my own chart. I want a natural route, but I don't want to be 100% in charge, I like the MW for guidance and a stand by in the medical field ya know? That's me though.

Co-Host July 2014 DDC
..........Jackie..........

October 5th, 2010, 02:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiana View Post

While I may understand pregnancy and birth, I also don't have any type of medical degree and don't know how to use urine strips and don't feel comfortable writing things in my own chart. I want a natural route, but I don't want to be 100% in charge, I like the MW for guidance and a stand by in the medical field ya know? That's me though.
I totally agree with you

October 7th, 2010, 07:25 AM
c'est_la_vie's Avatar Is it nap time yet?
Wow, thats nuts.. I guess you will have to deliver little lady by yourself as well! JK!

My midwife allows me to my own weight, but she has never once had me pee in a cup - oh the OB's are shrieking at that one - and I wouldn't even know how to check my own BP..

I would have walked out with my cup of pee & ph strip & asked for a demo.. [:

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search