Checking your own cervix?

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 11th, 2010, 04:16 PM
~*Kixs*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi ladies! I am not a HB mama but I would love some help with this question.

What is the best way to check your own cervix? Is one position (sitting, squatting, laying down) better than another?

Any tips on checking for dilation?

I am hoping for my 2nd hospital VBAC and really want to labor at home as much as possible.

I am an NFP girl so I know my basic anatomy and what I am looking for But I am just unsure how to properly do this while very big and pg.

TIA for any help!

October 11th, 2010, 07:14 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I had troubles reaching mine last time...I think I found that one leg up on the tub was the best....

We aren't to give a baby milk, berries, or peanut butter. We are to introduce new foods one at a time. But it's OK to inject several viruses, bacteria, aluminum, formaldehyde, phenoxyethanol, animal serum, mercury, squalene and more into an 8 week old? I don't think so.
In order to be healthy it is an unfortunate fact that people must be allowed the opportunity to be ill. I trust my body and those of my children to work correctly against the relatively benign diseases they vax for, and do not trust the ingredients in the vaccinations.
Our choice to not vax isn't based in ignorance, poverty, conspiracy theory and rumor. It's research, common sense, fact and evidence based..something the medical community has largely forgot about.
October 12th, 2010, 08:00 AM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am a FAM girl so I check my own too, if I can reach it (usually I can't and my MW and a nurse has had trouble reaching it too. I have a long birth canal, which makes for long pushing phases). Squating works best for me.
October 12th, 2010, 08:07 AM
~*Kixs*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thanks ladies. I can't really reach mine either...which makes me think that not much is going on in there. I will try the positions you mentioned and see if I have any better luck.

October 12th, 2010, 12:24 PM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
I can't offer any suggestions, I've never tried! I do wish you the best on your VBAC journey!!

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
October 12th, 2010, 11:14 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I do one leg on the tub too. Also a bit of bouncing before hand helps LOL. I found it pretty hard to reach even in active labour. mostly ended up with a lot of mucous plug !!!

Thank you Kiliki for my first beautiful Siggie!

mom of 2 angels and an earth baby
October 14th, 2010, 07:17 PM
Tiff802's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have read that the easiest way is to sit on the toilet and put one foot up on the toilet seat. Not sure if that will help, but worth a try. My midwife suggests having my dh check me a couple times before labor begins to find my cervix and to know how it normally feels without being in labor since it's so different. I haven't told dh about this yet, lol. Your post just made me remember.

Thank you for my beautiful siggy Vicki!

See my growing belly!

October 17th, 2010, 09:54 PM
laisydaisymama's Avatar Natural Birth Junkie
I checked sitting on the toilet or squatting in the tub, but I didn't actually check while I was in labor because I was ruptured and distracted lol.

It was really hard for me to check it after about 33 weeks though.

-Ginni-
homebirthing, tandem nursing, cosleeping, babywearing, picky vaxing, cloth diapering Christian doula mama

www.lovingbeginning.com
www.givingdiapersgivinghope.org

October 17th, 2010, 11:03 PM
Sk8ermaiden's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am used to checking my own too and fully intended to check my own before and during labor, but all through my third trimester I could not reach it at all. It had nothing to do with the belly either - it was just super high! I tried deep squats, feet up on the tub or toilet...my midwife could barely reach it!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search