OB fee Q and considering homebirth

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 30th, 2010, 11:28 AM
pink_piggy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm not exactly sure where to put this, so I thought I would start here. I'm preg w/ my first and really have no idea how all of this works. I just found out that the price we were given by our OB actually includes all of our check ups and then delivery. Here's the thing, I don't know that I want to give birth in the hospital, so if I don't use her services, how does that work? Do they prorate the fee? Or am I still expected to pay the full amt even tho I'm not even half way through my pg? My husband thinks I'm crazy but I like the freedom I would get NOT giving birth in a hospital. I'm not OK w/ all the medical interventions and while my OB seems to be on board w/ letting me go as natural as I want, whose to say they won't be shoving pitocin in that stupid IV I do not want. I'm planning on calling on Mon and asking her office, but thought I would see if anyone here knew first. (obviously I would start looking for a midwife if I chose the homebirth route.)

On a side note, I watched "The Business of Being Born" LOVED IT! Makes me feel that I can do a homebirth if I wanted even if my DH doesn't think so.

TIA
October 30th, 2010, 12:36 PM
bre4thewin's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bre4thewin
I have no idea about OB fees as my last was through my insurance. As far as midwife fees, mine charges a 500 non refundable fee. Her total fee is 3600 due by 36 weeks. It includes blood work and tests, prenatel check ups, delivery, and postpartum care! Im in the April DDC too BTW...i think there are 3 of us there homebirthing! After having a hospital birth with my first...no way would i choose to give birth there again. Fact is you can try super hard to have an intervention free birth at a hospital.....but its pretty hard to do.

Thank you Mom2*Lauryn*Jacob* for my gorgeous siggie!

October 30th, 2010, 01:16 PM
Thank you so much for you reply. Last week I went over a lot of q's I had w/ my OB and even then I just don't feel comfortable. For instance I chose to go w/ a woman b/c I am more comfortable, well if she can't be there, there are five other Drs that may show up, who I've never met. I'm not comfortable w/ that. I would prefer to have a midwife that I trust and can do whatever I want in my own home until baby comes. Of course I wouldn't mind an epi as I'm scared of pain... but in reality I think I'm more scared of the hospital than the pain. In a few weeks I'm going to a birthing center to hear about home births and hopefully will have a lot of Qs answered, but anything any of you ladies can give me will really help. I just wish my hubby was more on board.

Last edited by pink_piggy; October 30th, 2010 at 03:41 PM.
October 30th, 2010, 01:21 PM
bre4thewin's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bre4thewin
I had an Epi last time and it was my biggest regret. A huge needle in my spine/loss of control of my labor...thats how i felt because i couldnt feel the baby and move my legs....is way worse then labor IMO. There is something familiar about the pain because, well...its what our bodies are sopposed to do! Stand your ground mama. You dont want to have regret over your decisions!

Thank you Mom2*Lauryn*Jacob* for my gorgeous siggie!

October 30th, 2010, 03:54 PM
Platinum Supermommy
The pain really isn't that bad. And there is a big big difference between pain and suffering. In your own home - you have control (though a great deal of birth at least for me is letting go of control). You have support - your DH and your midwife - and you know you are safe. I had a home birth and I am so happy I did. I can't imagine that experience any where else. Read Ina May's Guide to Childbirth - it is FANTASTIC. Also show your DH this study (real medical study done in Canada about homebirth - my DH found it for me and it convinced me to do it at home!) http://www.cmaj.ca/cgi/reprint/181/6-7/377.pdf
hugs congrats and good luck!!!

Thank you Kiliki for my first beautiful Siggie!

mom of 2 angels and an earth baby
October 31st, 2010, 12:10 PM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
I think a great first step would be contacting area home birth midwives to meet with them and get your and DH's questions and concerns answered. Good luck! Can't wait to see how this journey unfolds for you.

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
October 31st, 2010, 02:46 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I agree with all of the above....My dh surprised me at our first appt with the midwife by saying he was almost completely on board (9.5 out of 10) and the only concern he had was handled by the midwife!

We aren't to give a baby milk, berries, or peanut butter. We are to introduce new foods one at a time. But it's OK to inject several viruses, bacteria, aluminum, formaldehyde, phenoxyethanol, animal serum, mercury, squalene and more into an 8 week old? I don't think so.
In order to be healthy it is an unfortunate fact that people must be allowed the opportunity to be ill. I trust my body and those of my children to work correctly against the relatively benign diseases they vax for, and do not trust the ingredients in the vaccinations.
Our choice to not vax isn't based in ignorance, poverty, conspiracy theory and rumor. It's research, common sense, fact and evidence based..something the medical community has largely forgot about.
November 5th, 2010, 03:09 PM
I want to thank all of you ladies for your help. I have been doing a lot of research, reading and soul searching. When I would think about giving birth in a hospital I would begin freaking out, I would think of how painful it was going to be, how I was going to be told what to do instead of allowed to move freely. When I think of a homebirth, I am so much more relaxed and calm and this comes from a person who is scared of pain and was planning an epi when I got close to 4-5 cm (maybe sooner!) Now I don't feel that I need an epi and I don't feel I need someone, probably a stranger, telling me to push. I truly feel that I CAN DO THIS! I still have more research to do and to find a midwife and hopefully get my hubby (who works in healthcare) on board with my plan. But at the end of the day, I think this is what is right for me, assuming there are no complications, and the best decision for the baby. I'm just so excited and I honestly can say that I have never felt this way during my whole preg up until a few days ago!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search