Self Pay

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 27th, 2010, 09:00 AM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
If you have/are self paying for your homebirth, how much in total are you spending (for MW and kit if you have to buy it)?

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

November 27th, 2010, 01:26 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
we paid $1550 for our homebirth, average prices around here though are $2500-3000

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

November 27th, 2010, 01:56 PM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
My MW was 2500 but I went w/ her 1/2 way through so I paid 2,000. She's been my MW for both pregnancies and my m/c but I don't mesh well with her and there is another MW in my area that does homebirths and I'm wondering what she's going to charge......She hasn't emailed me back all day! lol i'm so impatient!

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

November 27th, 2010, 02:12 PM
inyourhonor's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My first home birth, I paid $1800 and the kit was $35. My second home birth was $1500, same price for the kit. I think she goes between 1500 and 2000 pending on your financial situation.

Killian Rivers born April 17th at 36 weeks

Killian's Birth Story
November 27th, 2010, 02:43 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Mom of 4 Js
I just want to say I am SO jealous that you ladies paid that much!

My MW normally charges $7,500 but only $5,000 if you pay cash. We are paying cash. I'm not sure what her birth kit costs and I'm not sure what birth pool we are going to get yet either. So this is costing us a small fortune! But money well spent in my eyes
Jordan 7/28/06, Jason 7/17/07, Jacob 5/23/09,
& Jillian 6/13/11 born at home in the water

November 27th, 2010, 04:34 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Ours is 4000...3700 if you pay by 34 weeks...which we probably wont have accomplished....but we'll try....the tub is another 50 rental from them (my opinion they should provide it for that cost LOL)....but anyway...then the kit will be additional (haven't looked too much yet)....they only provide services. No supplies.

I'm INSANELY jealous of those who have 1500! LOL....I'd not have to had talked dh into near as much if it'd have been more affordable. Also...Our insurance will most likely reimburse SOME of it but we have no clue and have to pay for it first and let them reimburse. Blah

We aren't to give a baby milk, berries, or peanut butter. We are to introduce new foods one at a time. But it's OK to inject several viruses, bacteria, aluminum, formaldehyde, phenoxyethanol, animal serum, mercury, squalene and more into an 8 week old? I don't think so.
In order to be healthy it is an unfortunate fact that people must be allowed the opportunity to be ill. I trust my body and those of my children to work correctly against the relatively benign diseases they vax for, and do not trust the ingredients in the vaccinations.
Our choice to not vax isn't based in ignorance, poverty, conspiracy theory and rumor. It's research, common sense, fact and evidence based..something the medical community has largely forgot about.
November 27th, 2010, 05:50 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha83 View Post
Ours is 4000...3700 if you pay by 34 weeks...which we probably wont have accomplished....but we'll try....the tub is another 50 rental from them (my opinion they should provide it for that cost LOL)....but anyway...then the kit will be additional (haven't looked too much yet)....they only provide services. No supplies.

I'm INSANELY jealous of those who have 1500! LOL....I'd not have to had talked dh into near as much if it'd have been more affordable. Also...Our insurance will most likely reimburse SOME of it but we have no clue and have to pay for it first and let them reimburse. Blah

well, to be honest, it's only that cheap because my midwife isn't state licensed. She is a CPM, but hasn't done the paperwork for state. So "technically" she charges for other things, she can't legally charge for midwifery services. However, once she is state licensed, medicaid will pay for the birth

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

November 27th, 2010, 06:09 PM
inyourhonor's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My midwife is also a CPM, I also believe her prices are lower because of our state economy and my region of where I live. $7000 for a birth here would be insane to pay out of pocket. I'd have had to go to the hospital if that were the cost or go UC.

Killian Rivers born April 17th at 36 weeks

Killian's Birth Story
November 27th, 2010, 08:06 PM
Sk8ermaiden's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Our midwife was $3,600,but we paid in full early, so only $3,200. All the midwives here are $3-4000, and most have early pay discounts. My birth kit I think was like $60.

November 27th, 2010, 09:18 PM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
$2,700 for Midwife care, $45 for birth kit and $180 for birth pool.
November 28th, 2010, 06:24 PM
Mom to 4 girls!!
OMG... I am in Canada and have paid a total of about $20 ( for a couple of supplies, like shower curtain, peroxide, olive oil...etc...). OHIP, which is our provincial health care program pays for 100% of everything, home, hospital, OB, etc...

I can't believe how much you ladies have to pay!!! I am in shock.
Quinn Olivia Born at home Jan.13th, 2011, 7:37 am 9 lbs. 12 oz

November 28th, 2010, 06:37 PM
Sk8ermaiden's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemama View Post
OMG... I am in Canada and have paid a total of about $20 ( for a couple of supplies, like shower curtain, peroxide, olive oil...etc...). OHIP, which is our provincial health care program pays for 100% of everything, home, hospital, OB, etc...

I can't believe how much you ladies have to pay!!! I am in shock.
And because I transferred to a hospital and had a c-section, I paid another $5,000 for me, and since they held our healthy baby hostage in the NICU to punish us for being homebirthers, we paid another $5,000. So all told, $13, 400 for the birth. We pay a far, far, far smaller portion of our income in taxes than y'all though.

Last edited by Sk8ermaiden; November 28th, 2010 at 06:39 PM.
November 28th, 2010, 07:31 PM
HippyMomOf4's Avatar Hippy Mom Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to HippyMomOf4 Send a message via MSN to HippyMomOf4 Send a message via Yahoo to HippyMomOf4
My midwife charges 4000, now my insurance pays 1700 of it, so we end up paying 2300, but were only paying 2 since thats the deal we worked out. The birth kit is 50 which we have to buy and if she doesn't have a birth tub to use because its already out to someone else then that will be another 150. So all in all we will pay about 2150 for everything

November 29th, 2010, 04:53 PM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom of 3 Js View Post
I just want to say I am SO jealous that you ladies paid that much!

My MW normally charges $7,500 but only $5,000 if you pay cash. We are paying cash. I'm not sure what her birth kit costs and I'm not sure what birth pool we are going to get yet either. So this is costing us a small fortune! But money well spent in my eyes
Where in NY are you? I think I've asked that before, so if I have, please just blame my mommy brain!

I am in NY as well, and our midwives charge $6500, and require $3000 be paid before the birth. For my recent birth, my insurance agreed to pay $4500, and then my midwives gave me a $1000 credit for being a "returning" client, so we only paid $1500 out of pocket.

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
November 30th, 2010, 09:23 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle View Post
Where in NY are you? I think I've asked that before, so if I have, please just blame my mommy brain!

I am in NY as well, and our midwives charge $6500, and require $3000 be paid before the birth. For my recent birth, my insurance agreed to pay $4500, and then my midwives gave me a $1000 credit for being a "returning" client, so we only paid $1500 out of pocket.
You never asked me I live on Long Island in Suffolk County. There are only two home birth MWs who are willing to travel to me and they don't accept my insurance. I know that there is a law that my insurance has to cover a home birth even if there is no MW in my network but my MW flat out told me she wasn't willing to deal with the insurance because they are lousy payers. I definitely support home birth and MWs and I want her to get paid, so to me it was an easy decision. We have to pay $4,000 by the birth and then $1,000 after. Maybe I can see if the insurance company will reimburse us? I guess we will have to look into it! That is awesome that you 'only' paid $1500 out of pocket! Where do you live in NY?

November 30th, 2010, 12:15 PM
Melissa, I live in the Hudson Valley, about an hour or so north of NYC. Hi neighbor!

NY does have a stipulation in their health care laws that states that insurance companies have to pay for homebirth (or rather that if your insurance doesn't cover a midwife that does homebirth that they have to cover it as an out of network expense), therefore all the homebirth midwives in NY don't take insurance, therefore you can get reimbursement through your insurance company. Some midwives will do the paperwork for the insurance company for you, and others won't. My midwives do it all for us, but I know a lot that don't.

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
November 30th, 2010, 12:48 PM
sugary~snails's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
thankfully I am in Canada! can you say FREE!
November 30th, 2010, 12:49 PM
SEAmama's Avatar Veteran
Initially, we were supposed to pay it ourselves. The papa left and so, even though he says he will, I'm not going to depend on him to do it. So, the plan now is to wait til 30 weeks and get on OHP (oregon health plan). They don't normally cover midwives but will have to at that point as long as a push for an "open card".

The cost for a homebirth through the center is 3500 (my midwife is also a licensed ND). They bring their own supplies but I have to rent/buy the tub. My midwife/doc has been awesome and I wouldn't trade her.
December 1st, 2010, 07:22 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle View Post
Melissa, I live in the Hudson Valley, about an hour or so north of NYC. Hi neighbor!

NY does have a stipulation in their health care laws that states that insurance companies have to pay for homebirth (or rather that if your insurance doesn't cover a midwife that does homebirth that they have to cover it as an out of network expense), therefore all the homebirth midwives in NY don't take insurance, therefore you can get reimbursement through your insurance company. Some midwives will do the paperwork for the insurance company for you, and others won't. My midwives do it all for us, but I know a lot that don't.
Wow, you live fairly close to me

My MW told us that she wasn't going to deal with my insurance company at all, so I guess I will have DH call the insurance company and ask them what we need to do to get reimbursed. Thanks for the info!

December 1st, 2010, 09:56 AM
Good luck! I hope your insurance company is helpful to you. Your DH might want to approach it as "going out of network" and needs the paperwork to get an out of network provider reimbursement.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search