Im clueless how to go about unasisted birth

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 21st, 2011, 08:32 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Im now prego with # 3 Ive been wanting a homebirth for a long time since i had ds and dd. but for some reason never jumped the gun, and considering this might be our last I really want to do this , dd was all natural no meds but in the hospital but had issues some issues.

My problem is how do i go about it ??? the nearest birthcenter is about 1.5hr away we dont have midwifes here in our town, i dont think our insurance will cover midwife or birthcenter, and we just simply cant afford out of pocket for a midwife to travel to us which why i was want to do a unasisted homebirth. How do i let my current ob know ?

Ive been seeing my ob since 8wks and he is all for the natural birth at the hospital. If i did this , do i just tell him i quit, I wanna have a HOMEBIRTH! im afraid of what he will say, he really is a great ob BUT he cant give me my homebirth!

More questions If i was to do a Hb unassisted.....

How do i go about the birth certificate ?? dh is in the military and they require birth certificate to enroll baby into dh inssurance.

how do you cut the umblicord , weighing baby , how do you enroll baby to a pediatrics office , I guess i worry to much of the things that normally the hospital would do....like checking baby can hear and all that good stuff , that is the stuff i worry about and im sure that has stopped me in the past...but i really want to do this.... i feel really lost

January 22nd, 2011, 05:32 AM
bre4thewin's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bre4thewin
If you have Tricare standard they do cover homebirth and a birth center....however the homebirth needs to be with a CNM in there network...which is super hard find. Other wise they cover about 40%. They cover birhtcenter 100%. Im not sure about the rest of your questions but wanted to through that out there since we are Army and im having a homebirth.

Thank you Mom2*Lauryn*Jacob* for my gorgeous siggie!

January 22nd, 2011, 09:01 AM
HippyMomOf4's Avatar Hippy Mom Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to HippyMomOf4 Send a message via MSN to HippyMomOf4 Send a message via Yahoo to HippyMomOf4
I responded to ya on the NCB board but my DH is navy and i have tricare standard as well, they will cover homebirth but its not 100%, i ended up paying about half for mine. But all areas have different prices here in San Deigo the homebirth is 4000 so i ended up paying 2. But like the PP said a birthcenter is covered 100% through standard.

January 22nd, 2011, 10:51 AM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
For me personally, I would try to exhaust all options for a midwife attended birth before I did an unassisted birth... but that is just me. I know a lot of women, here on JM and outside that have had successful wonderful unassisted births. Each of those women had to really weigh their own risks/benefits and educate themselves for the "what ifs" that can sometimes happen during pregnancy and labor. Good luck with whatever decision you decide on. I do hope that you get the homebirth you've wanted.

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
January 22nd, 2011, 02:29 PM
wonderfullymade's Avatar Doula & MW Apprentice
Send a message via Yahoo to wonderfullymade
hey girl, I responded on the NCB board.

Bellies & Babies Blogger
January 23rd, 2011, 01:53 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thank you ladies! I appreciate all your comments and suggestions! Im def have been doing alot alot of research to see whats best for us... Chirstine yes i totally agree with you , i will def try to see if we can afford a midwife before making my decsion if will go ahead and continue with our unasissted birth. I have a apt on wendsday and plan on talking to my ob , i dont want to keep leading him on but this is something i want to do and im really doing alot of reserach (very time comsuming) and educating my self for this wonderful experince thank you ladies!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bre4thewin View Post
If you have Tricare standard they do cover homebirth and a birth center....however the homebirth needs to be with a CNM in there network...which is super hard find. Other wise they cover about 40%. They cover birhtcenter 100%. Im not sure about the rest of your questions but wanted to through that out there since we are Army and im having a homebirth.
yes we have tricare standard as well, Im going def look into it , im pretty sure its going to hard finding a CNM under our network esp where im located here in tx boo , I mean it was hard enough finding out a pcm for kids i can only imagine a CNM but im going to try to be positve!

January 23rd, 2011, 06:08 PM
Jodi Dawn's Avatar Host of the Jan-July 05 P
Send a message via Yahoo to Jodi Dawn
just wanted to say good luck. I had an unassisted home birth but it wasn't on purpose. IDK if I would plan one there's so many things that could go wrong during labor and I would def prefer a medical person there. But its your decision. Best of luck!
February 12th, 2011, 08:10 AM
sharita's Avatar Veteran
I know that many women will continue seeing the OB for the entire pregnancy for the benefits off the ultrasound and they plan on just accidentally on purpose, not making it in time to the hospital. Some people are scared that if they share that their plans were intentional, The wrong person would call CPS, etc. It does happen.

No one can prove though that you purposely waited too long. As far as getting everything together legally after the birth it isn't as hard as you may think depending on your counties laws. Mine, I just had to go to health dept, fill out what I wanted on the birth cert, state that DH caught baby and have him there with me as the "other witness" that the birth took place. Also a bill from one month before and one month after baby was born to prove we lived in that county at time of birth.

Nothing was an issue at all. I just called the ped and made an appointment for 3 days old for a check up. They did ask all the questions like, did he get the hep b shot in the hospital, what hospital was he born in, etc. I told them he was born at home. I always get the "Oh wow!" I tell them it was with a midwife but don't share her full name because she is a direct entry midwife, not legal in my state. Which is why I had to say DH caught baby.

Some women though prefer taking their entire prenatal care into their own hands. I like having my urine checked each month since I am prone to UTI's during pregnancy so I contine the OB care since it is covered my medicaid. Last two pregnancies I left OB care without letting them know (and they never called to check up on why either) with about a month or so to go. I may just keep it till the end this time since my clinic now has a program for free carseats that I so badly need.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search