New to this board

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 28th, 2011, 11:17 AM
Brighteyed & Caffeinated
Send a message via MSN to mommy2olliebeans
Hi everyone :-)

I'm in the process of trying to make a decision whether to have my baby at home or in the hospital. I am seeing a midwife for this pregnancy for the first time ever and she has recommended I have a home birth or at least prep for one just in case due to my history of very fast labours.

I have two kids. Alex is 13 years old and he was born at 37 weeks gestation; I had a medical induction that lasted 3 hours and 48 minutes from start to finish. My daughter Grace (who has passed away) was born at 41 and a bit weeks gestation; my total labour with her was 2 hours and 3 minutes, and I arrived at the hospital with enough time to basically have my water break and deliver a baby.

So I need to do some research and get some ideas and opinions from others who have been in my shoes. I am really scared to do a home birth as I am very comfortable in a hospital setting where I know that help is just around the corner if anything were to go wrong.
I have a doula as well, and she has access to a birthing pool though and that is not helping my decision at all (as in a perfect world, I'd deliver my baby at the hospital in a birthing pool).....
January 28th, 2011, 06:06 PM
bre4thewin's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bre4thewin
Hi!!!!!!! So excited to see you here, ive missed you!

Thank you Mom2*Lauryn*Jacob* for my gorgeous siggie!

January 28th, 2011, 06:45 PM
Mommy to girls
Hi! I am new to this board as well but not to homebirths. I am planning for my
3rd birth at home now. You may be amazed at how relaxed you can be at home without having to get into a car and drive across town while in pain. Maybe you can find some facts about the safety of home birth to help ease your mind about the possibility? I am sure the other ladies may be able to suggest some really good reading related to homebirths as well.
January 29th, 2011, 06:46 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Welcome!
I'm not sure I can help, because honestly, I'm not very comfortable in a hospital setting. I would prefer to stay in the comfort of my home to have my baby and not have to worry about going anywhere. I had my last daughter at a birth center and it still added some stress to my labor to figure out when to leave then drive the 1/2 hour there. I just kept thinking "I just want to get there so I can relax". My last 2 labors were 8 hours and 6 hours, so I'm expecting this one to move along pretty quickly like the other 2 as well. I feel more comfortable knowing I don't have to risk having the baby in the car on the way there!
Have you talked to your midwife about what equipment she carries to help ease your mind about the "what-ifs"?

Expecting baby #4!

February 1st, 2011, 11:11 AM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
Welcome to the board. I hope your midwife is able to provide you with some answers and you are able to make a decision of which you are comfortable with!

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
February 1st, 2011, 10:26 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Welcome and I'm sorry I can't offer advice.
My decision to birth at home comes from my intense distrust of hospitals and doctors. However I will tell you that it's important for your health and wellbeing(and your baby) that you pick the place where you can be most comfortable. One thing is for certain about birth: the more stressed you are, the more difficult it will be.

I think it's great that you are doing research on all your options. Good luck to you.
February 2nd, 2011, 12:44 AM
baabaamilker's Avatar Veteran
I also suggest doing lots of research to help ease your mind. If you have a Home birth once you will never want to go to the hospital again.

I might fit your criteria for offering advice. I've had two in the vehicle en route to the hospital because of fast labors. I really am not sure I'm in labor till I hit transition and that can be 20 to 45 minutes till birth of the baby for me. After two car births we just decided to stay home. I'm also a double VBAC mom.

Although delivering in the car was not the most comfortable position I would still take that over a hospital birth any day.

Do lots and lots of research, talk to your midwife heart to heart. Try to meet others who have had HB's in your area and see if that doesn't give you some peace about it all.

February 4th, 2011, 07:08 AM
Brighteyed & Caffeinated
Send a message via MSN to mommy2olliebeans
Thank you ladies.

Baabaamilker - you sound similar to me in the fast labour area; transition is whereabouts I realized I was truly actually in labour. But omg, I could not imagine delivering a baby in the car, that is my biggest fear!

I have a doula now as well as the midwives, so I have been gathering a bit of small army of support people to help me in my decision :-)
February 4th, 2011, 09:14 AM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi and welcome

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search