Ignorance is definitly not bliss!

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 31st, 2011, 05:20 PM
mommybugnbugga's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have to share with you ladies a recent conversation with my eldest sister. For someone with 2 children, she is very uneducated when it comes to childbirth. We were talking about home birth vs. hospital birth. And here is part of the conversation:

Sister: What do you do if your water breaks?
Me: What do you mean? I labor like everyone else.
Sister: No, I mean you only have 12 hours before you have to have a c-section, or the baby will die
Me: (looong dramatic pause) Um, where did you hear that?
Sister: I had two kids and I have friends that are L&D nurses and they all say the same thing, if a baby is not out 12 hours after your water breaks your baby will die.
Me: How will it die?
Sister: The baby can't breathe anymore because you have no amniotic fluid left and the baby will suffocate to death!

At this point (as terrible as it sounds) I laughed out loud at her! I asked if she had ever watched a birth, and she admitted she hadn't. I told her to watch one and watch how much fluid comes out AFTER the baby is born. I reassured her that I have done the research and it is actually normal for birth to take more than 12 hours once water is broken and it is OK. She doesn't believe me and thinks even more so that I am crazy! The conversation got much more entertaining on how uneducated she really was about pregnancy, labor and delivery.

January 31st, 2011, 07:03 PM
pink_piggy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
OMG LOL!! I'm so sorry it's not funny, but that right there is the exact attitude I'm talking about in the thread I just posted today. I read in a book or online, I cannot remember... maybe it was Born in the USA??? That a ladies water broke and I believe she didn't give birth until 3 (or 2) weeks later and her baby was just fine! Ugh preg brain strikes again! But it goes to show you that your baby is just fine. My OB just told me that if my water breaks I have to immediately go to the hospital.. um... whatever... like I want them using every intervention on me b/c of their skewed views. No thanks!
January 31st, 2011, 08:49 PM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Um, you keep making amniotic fluid. I've never heard the 12 hour rule, only the 24 hour rule and it's not because baby will die, it's because the risk of infection increases. It's sad that she's been lied to and didn't bother to second guess it, or that those people who told her that actually think that and they work in the medical feild. SCARY!
February 1st, 2011, 11:02 AM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
Oh goodness. It really makes me sad how uneducated some women choose to be when it comes to birth. You spend more time picking out a stroller or a carseat then researching your the labor and birth process.

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
February 1st, 2011, 12:30 PM
HippyMomOf4's Avatar Hippy Mom Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to HippyMomOf4 Send a message via MSN to HippyMomOf4 Send a message via Yahoo to HippyMomOf4
Wow is all I can say

February 1st, 2011, 12:49 PM
mommybugnbugga's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle View Post
Oh goodness. It really makes me sad how uneducated some women choose to be when it comes to birth. You spend more time picking out a stroller or a carseat then researching your the labor and birth process.
This is exactly how my sister was! She spent MONTHS researching car seats and cribs but didn't ever stop to ask questions about her pregnancy. I will admit, with my first I did whatever the dr. said, with my second, I started questioning and stood up for somethings, but not everything, now this one I have done so much research and questioning I feel more educated than ever before.

And Pink_Piggy, I did LOL when she said it. It is funny how uneducated people are but then want to lecture those who have actually taken the time on educating themselves about what is right and what is wrong.

February 1st, 2011, 10:41 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Not surprising. It seems every woman I know who birthed at a hospital has a story about how they almost died and the baby got out "just in time". Seems like everyone is a high risk pregnancy these days. Sheesh, just look at the numbers of C sections. Some hospitals are up to 40%!

In my opinion I feel that the whole goal of hospitals and OBs is to put fear into women. This way women will opt for tons of expensive drugs and then give birth in time for the doctor to make it to their golf game. *Yeah I have issues with some modern medicine*

In order to convince my husband to have a homebirth, I agreed to see an OB at least once. In only 30 minutes the doctor put enough fear into me that I got suckered into getting $200 worth of useless tests. I finally put my foot down when they tried to convice me to get tested for some sort of disease that only Jewish people get(we're not Jewish).
February 11th, 2011, 09:55 PM
sharita's Avatar Veteran
Wow! My water broke 36 hours before my first contraction. He was born two hours after that. I definitely kept making fluid because I had to wear a diaper for those days, it just kept gushing out.

I also remember watching some pregnancy medical show where a woman's water broke at 26 or so weeks and she stayed pregant like 2 more months.

It's amazing the things someone can tell a pregnant woman and she believes. Some of the old wives tales still going strong. I had to convince my mother that no, if I raised my hands above my head, my baby wouldn't get tangled on the cord. Crazy.

When my water broke that many days before labor started, my grandmother tried to scare me about "dry birth". Nothing dry about birth, thats for sure.
February 22nd, 2011, 12:34 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to WendyBird Send a message via Yahoo to WendyBird
Oh my goodness, that is just sad. Sad that she believes it, and sad that so many others seem to as well. But, yeah, funny as well!
Kyron, Porter, Donovan, Jocelyn, & expecting #5

February 22nd, 2011, 08:23 PM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
If the baby can't breathe because of the fluid- WHY is there an umbilical cord with blood (oxygen)?

Lets put 2 + 2 together.

The 12 hr thing is not because the baby can die, Dr.'s feel the need to give antibiotics at this point for fear of infection since there is an opening to the womb - not because the baby will die.

Co-Host July 2014 DDC
..........Jackie..........

Awaiting our Team Green baby at home July 2014. . .

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search