Your ideal midwife

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 25th, 2011, 12:18 PM
Sk8ermaiden's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
There is a midwife for every woman!

Do you prefer a midwife who is super hands off, doing little to no testing and practically letting you UC while she knits?

Do you prefer a midwife who is more pro-medicine, maybe a little more proactive and quicker to transfer - maybe a CNM? (Or a birth center)

Do you want someone motherly, or someone professional or in between?

How long are your appointments? Do you like them or wish they were longer or shorter?

Have you found your ideal midwife or are you still looking? Is what you want even available in your area?

April 25th, 2011, 02:12 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I totally prefer to be left alone. I would like a midwife that only intervenes if necessary. My Dh and I birthed the last one while the midwife mostly watched and we want that same experience. Maybe even more. I wonder if she would wait in the other room... LOL.

I havent had any appointments yet as I am still newly pregnant. I just called my first midwife today and we meet on Wednesday. I am still waiting for another to call me back.

Momma to Brynn 10/2/2002 (midwife at hospital)
Emme 5/26/2008 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
Pierce 11/28/2009 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
and Surprise Baby #4 due 11/13/2011
April 25th, 2011, 02:36 PM
BobbityBoo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I like hands for labor but astute (sp?) during the actual birth. I like my midwife to be warm and welcoming but still professional. Not in a sterile way, but just confident in her medical abilities kind of way. I am not one who wants a real earth mothery midwife.

I think I have found my midwife, in fact its a whole group... well 3 or 4 of them. They rotate and share on call. I like all of them! I think the only thing that I am disappointed with is that they don't deliver breech. For the most part really practice evidence based care, so to not deliver breech is kind of funny to me. I would understand saying we only do frank breech, if you have a footling breech you need to transfer.

Thank you Kiliki for my wonderfull siggie!
April 25th, 2011, 06:47 PM
Sk8ermaiden's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Do you prefer a midwife who is super hands off, doing little to no testing and practically letting you UC while she knits? I like a midwife in between. I definitely want her to keep a close eye during pregnancy and I do like some pelvic exams and lots of keeping an eye on the baby during labor.

Do you prefer a midwife who is more pro-medicine, maybe a little more proactive and quicker to transfer - maybe a CNM? (Or a birth center) The longer I am around birth - through ICAN, my doula and midwife friends - the more I realize how bad things can go and how quickly. It has really tightened up my conditions for the type of midwife I would hire. I still don't want a medwife, but just take 1-2 steps back from that. I want someone who has been catching babies a LONG time, and with an EXCELLENT track record.

Do you want someone motherly, or someone professional or in between? In between

How long are your appointments? Do you like them or wish they were longer or shorter? My appointments are an hour when they're monthy, and then 1/2 an hour when they get closer together. They're just right - we are such chatterboxes!

Have you found your ideal midwife or are you still looking? Is what you want even available in your area? I definitely have. There are only two things I would change about her, and that is that she is a diet totalitarian and needs to lighten up on that! And the other is that she believes in homeopathy, which I definitely do NOT.

April 27th, 2011, 09:05 AM
HippyMomOf4's Avatar Hippy Mom Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to HippyMomOf4 Send a message via MSN to HippyMomOf4 Send a message via Yahoo to HippyMomOf4
Do you prefer a midwife who is super hands off, doing ittle to no testing and practically letting you UC while she knits? Not that hands off but I'd like my space

Do you prefer a midwife who is more pro-medicine maybe a little more proactive and quicker to transfer - maybe a CNM? (Or a birth center) I have a CNM and she's wonderful, I do like proactive though

Do you want someone motherly, or someone professional or in between? In between she's wonderful

How long are your appointments? Do you like them or wish they were longer or shorter? They are an hour long each appt and I love it! I love not feeling like just another face and that were actually friends!

Have you found your ideal midwife or are you stil ooking? Is what you want even available in your are? I have found my idea midwife and coulndy be happier with her

April 27th, 2011, 10:36 AM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My ideal Midwife is a hands off MW unless there is a reason to be hands on, but cautions. Meaning I would like to have some tests done, like urine testing and hemoglobin testing. While remaining hands off I'd like her to be watching with a close eye for signs of a complication coming ahead.
April 27th, 2011, 12:57 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Hmmm...this is a tough one for me...The midwife I'm going with is one that my provider had on the approved list (the only one) and she is a CNM....she's great and down to earth and I like her....however I'd probably have chosen someone else in the group....

Anyway...I like a crunchy hands off unless we need hands on type of midwife...I like them to be proactive for transfer but not too jumpy....I like a laid back go with the flow type of midwife....our appts are scheduled to last an hour...but they never do...I dont have questions and I'm in great health so they just dont take long...I like that they take as long as they take...no rush no waiting....

We aren't to give a baby milk, berries, or peanut butter. We are to introduce new foods one at a time. But it's OK to inject several viruses, bacteria, aluminum, formaldehyde, phenoxyethanol, animal serum, mercury, squalene and more into an 8 week old? I don't think so.
In order to be healthy it is an unfortunate fact that people must be allowed the opportunity to be ill. I trust my body and those of my children to work correctly against the relatively benign diseases they vax for, and do not trust the ingredients in the vaccinations.
Our choice to not vax isn't based in ignorance, poverty, conspiracy theory and rumor. It's research, common sense, fact and evidence based..something the medical community has largely forgot about.
April 28th, 2011, 07:04 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Do you prefer a midwife who is super hands off, doing little to no testing and practically letting you UC while she knits?
I like a midwife who is hands off, but also willing to step if she feels I need it. My last midwives were that way, but I also wish they were more...I don't know, doula-like and had given suggestions to me during labor. I also like someone who is willing to give suggestions or recommendations if I need them. I like to make the decisions for my care (which is why I like midwives) but sometimes I need a little guidance also.

Do you prefer a midwife who is more pro-medicine, maybe a little more proactive and quicker to transfer - maybe a CNM? (Or a birth center)
No

Do you want someone motherly, or someone professional or in between?
Motherly

How long are your appointments? Do you like them or wish they were longer or shorter?
I've only had one and it was paperwork, bloodwork, etc. so I'm not sure how long a routine appt will be

Have you found your ideal midwife or are you still looking? Is what you want even available in your area?
I'm very happy with the midwife I chose for this birth and we have some good options in this area that I could have chosen. Since 1 was on vacation around my due date, that left me with 2 and I really clicked with Kate, who I ended up choosing.

April 28th, 2011, 08:01 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Do you prefer a midwife who is super hands off, doing little to no testing and practically letting you UC while she knits? During my pregnancy, I prefer a midwife who will be supportive of whatever I feel comfortable with. Someone that has a good sense of the client's preferences. In my particular case, I liked my midwife pretty hands off during my pregnancy with my second daughter. This time, I am using the same group of midwives and I have been happy that they have been supportive of the extra testing that I've wanted to do because of my miscarriages and the fact that I am 8 years older now.
During labor, I prefer the midwife to be hands off and check me only occasionally. I can't stand anyone counting while I'm pushing, etc.

Do you prefer a midwife who is more pro-medicine, maybe a little more proactive and quicker to transfer - maybe a CNM? (Or a birth center) I prefer a midwife that is well educated, well experienced, and keeps up with the latest research. I want to trust that she will know what signs to look for and will be proactive if there is a concern, but not over-reactive. I guess a happy medium. By the way, I don't necessarily consider CNM's more "pro-medicine." In nursing graduate school you are certainly not trained in the medical model, but in the nursing (holistic) model. Also, I used the same group of midwives (who happen to be LMs) that are doing my home birth at a birth center last time, and their care is the same in the birth center as at a home birth.

Do you want someone motherly, or someone professional or in between? I definitely don't want motherly, but do want friendly. I want to be treated as a colleague who plays an important role in the pregnancy and birth with all decision making processes. When my midwives come to the house for a visit, I want them to feel at home, and I've made sure that they know where the bathroom, fridge, garbage, etc., are, so that they will feel comfortable when it comes time for the birth. We spend a lot of time just chatting at visits. They are also very professional and up to date on the latest research.

How long are your appointments? Do you like them or wish they were longer or shorter? I guess the actual professional part of the appointment may be about 20 minutes, but then we also spend extra time chatting.

Have you found your ideal midwife or are you still looking? Is what you want even available in your area? Yes, I've found the ideal group. They were easy to find because they are the same group of midwives that delivered my daughter at a birth center almost 8 years ago, and I've run into them here and there through various functions and mutual friends over the years. I feel very comfortable with them and know I'm lucky.

Lucia Jane, born 10.9.11

Forever missing our angel babies
April 30th, 2011, 06:12 PM
sharita's Avatar Veteran
I think I have been super lucky to have found my ideal midwife. It was strictly by fate that I found her as she was still a student the first of my homebirths she attended where she was working under a more experienced midwife.

She is super hands off, has a very natural approach, but mostly I just love her instincts. Its like she can just read a laboring woman and knows if she needs to step in and be more visible and interactive with the mom or if the mom needs space, etc.

She has always been very hands off, holistic approach to whatever needs to be addressed but knows when to step in as well. Very good match for me and the type of presence I need during my labors and births.

Student midwife and Homebirthing mama to the brady bunch! (3 boys, 3 girls)
May 11th, 2011, 12:56 PM
cheezpoofs's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Do you prefer a midwife who is super hands off, doing little to no testing and practically letting you UC while she knits? I prefer one who is hands off and gives me information and her professional opinion and then lets me decide for myself what is best for me and my baby.

Do you prefer a midwife who is more pro-medicine, maybe a little more proactive and quicker to transfer - maybe a CNM or birth center? I would not want a midwife that was super pro-medicine outside of necessity. I would also prefer to know that my midwife doesn't transfer unless necessary or requested.

Do you want someone motherly, or someone professional or in between? I don't really have a preference on this. I get along equally well with most people.

How long are your appointments? Do you like them or wish they were longer or shorter? My appointments are generally an hour long. That is a fine amount of time. I could probably get by with just a half hour most times, though.

Have you found your ideal midwife or are you still looking? Is what you want even available in your area? My current midwife is fine and so was my first (though I miss my first).

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search