Birth in a regular tub?

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 14th, 2011, 01:04 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We've been planning a waterbirth for several months and I've assumed we'd use one of those big blue pools that everyone else does.

Yesterday my husband and midwife decided that it would be easier to use our jucuzzi tub. That way they wouldn't have to worry about heating and draining water and stuff.

I totally understand this reasoning as it is much easier.
However:

I HATE our tub.

It's too big.
Both my husband and I fit easily inside with tons of room to spare. And he is a big guy both in height and weight. We've already planned to use it for our young children as a kiddie "pool" in summer since it is larger than most of those anyway.
I don't like to go in the tub because it's too big for me. I always end up sliding around and if I don't hold myself 100% upright, I begin to slide underwater(the back side is slanted) up to my chin.
In the year we've lived here I've been in the tub about 6 times for a total of maybe 45 minutes. My husband however will sit there and read for hours several times a week. He loves the tub, I think of it as his tub.

Aside from the size, the tub simply isn't comfortable.
The sides are hard, tall and "tub like". With the outer sides being wooden with somewhat sharp edges.
I can't think of any way to get into a comfy position during labor and birth with nothing soft to grab or lean against. Not to mention it's in the bathroom which isn't exactly where I want to be when introducing my child to the world.

It's also difficult to get in and out of.
I'm only 5'2" and especially as my pregnancy has progressed, I've found it quite difficult to get in and out of the tub. My husband had to set a stool next to it for me to climb in (which didn't work because it slid on the floor and I nearly fell). And he has to come to lift me out of it as well. There are no handles or anything to grab onto.

I totally understand that it makes much more sense to use our tub than an inflatable birth tub, I guess I'm just bummed that already my birth isn't looking the way I'd visioned. As much as I want a waterbirth I'm now considering using the bed since I don't see myself being comfortable in our tub.

Have any of you given birth in a non-inflatable tub? Was it alright? What do you hold onto and how do you keep from sliding around?

Any suggestions for how to make it more confortable-mainly Softer?
May 14th, 2011, 01:10 PM
Mega Super Mommy

Here's our tub

It does not look like this at all now. This was taken when we moved in. Now it's more "lived in". It's surrounded by piles of towels, my husband's books, and a few empty cans of soda.

Last edited by lrowe70; May 14th, 2011 at 01:12 PM.
May 14th, 2011, 01:33 PM
Mommy to girls
I gave birth to my last baby in our jacuzzi tub. It was great. I loved that I could easily drain out a bit of the cooled down water and add warm as needed. I also used the jets during the labor. I also can't find the perfect spot or position in mine but it turned out okay. Could you put a birthing stool or something to sit on while in the tub? Also, this sounds silly but could you drape over one of those fat pool noodles for support during contractions? Maybe if you get the area back up to feel like more of an oasis instead of a collection spot, you might feel better about it too. Although the tub might feel a little strange to you, you might not love the blow up pool when you get into it either. I actually preferred my dry birth better. Good luck on your decision!
May 14th, 2011, 02:00 PM
Mega Super Mommy
A pool noodle, good idea. Maybe I'll have to run by the pool toy aisle and see what else may work. Thanks for the suggestion.
May 14th, 2011, 03:04 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Aww...hugs no matter WHAT others think it's not what YOU want and I get that....I'd rather be in a real tub than an inflatable LOL but we only have the tiny crappy ones LOL....I gave birth in a regular "garden tub" with my last baby (birth center)....I loved it. I was thinking while reading...what about those tub rubber things...I wonder if you stuck one of those alone one edge (some of them have suction cups on the bottom) if it would help you not slip so much....Also...if dh is getting in with you you can use him for support...or make him get in with you lol....or if he'll sit on the edge (this was my dh in our last birth) you can use him that way as well....I used the shower a lot with my last birth...you might find that acceptable....

I'm using an inflatable kiddie pool....and I'd much rather have the option of a real tub if I could....simply for the ease of cleaning AND the ease of heating the water when needed....

I agree...making it a relaxing environment and less "dh-ized" when it's closer to birth might help...

also you are 28 weeks....I'd be "practicing"....take a bath here and there and try to find some sort of comfortable position and feel what you need to get to correct whatever is wrong...

HUGS...I hope you find the perfect solution...and if you dont just say "no...I'd rather have the inflatable" it doesn't have to be convenient it needs to be what YOU are looking for in your birth since its' YOUR birth and YOUR home...I'm sure if you tell dh your concerns enough he'll catch on....HUGS

We aren't to give a baby milk, berries, or peanut butter. We are to introduce new foods one at a time. But it's OK to inject several viruses, bacteria, aluminum, formaldehyde, phenoxyethanol, animal serum, mercury, squalene and more into an 8 week old? I don't think so.
In order to be healthy it is an unfortunate fact that people must be allowed the opportunity to be ill. I trust my body and those of my children to work correctly against the relatively benign diseases they vax for, and do not trust the ingredients in the vaccinations.
Our choice to not vax isn't based in ignorance, poverty, conspiracy theory and rumor. It's research, common sense, fact and evidence based..something the medical community has largely forgot about.
May 14th, 2011, 03:23 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
good suggestions... another suggestions is to put a few folded up towels in the bottom for added comfort - you might try it and see if it helps.... you can also get suctioning non-slip mats to put in the bottom that would help with sliding around...

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

May 14th, 2011, 05:24 PM
Mega Super Mommy
How about using something like this in your tub:
Amazon.com: WondaWedge Inflatable Outdoor Beach Back Pillow: Beauty

You should also put a non-slip mat under the steps outside your tub (the kind they use for elderly people).

I plan to use our own jacuzzi tub for labor (and possibly birth). I love using my own tub, though. I've often wondered how women get comfortable in those inflatable birth tubs given that the sides are completely upright.

Lucia Jane, born 10.9.11

Forever missing our angel babies
May 14th, 2011, 09:14 PM
Mega Super Mommy
wow, you ladies are the best. I'm taking notes.

I will start by getting the tub back to looking like the photo I posted above. Since my husband uses it so much, it's practically turned into his "man cave". Womanizing may help my comfort level.

My husband and I have also now sat down and discussed this and I found out that he is now more excited because he will get to be in the tub with me(he never would fit in an inflatable, he's a very large guy). That alone makes me feel better.

Looks like a trip to the pool store is in the works. Also I will try to take more baths as practice.

Thanks again everyone.
May 15th, 2011, 12:23 PM
Mommy to girls
Martha had a good suggestion about the suction cupped handles too. My mom who had a stroke has one in her shower. It is very sturdy so you could put a lot of weight on it.
May 15th, 2011, 06:01 PM
Sk8ermaiden's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have the husband who builds stuff, lol, so my suggestion reflects that, but I'd probably have him build me (or buy something) that was about 2 ft by 2 ft by 2 ft that I could sink in one end of the tub, so I would have something to brace my feet against, etc. I would definitely put down one of those non-slip mats for tubs.

I have heard recommendations for sinking a pillow in the tub so that you have a soft surface to put your butt/knees on. Here I am with my handy husband again, but if it is too tall for you to lean comfortably over the side, you might want to have something on hand you can sink to kneel on.

I have a very large garden tub and spent 100% of my labor on my knees, leaning my head/chest on the side.

I have been at a birth with one of those eco birth pools in a box and they are SUCH a PITA. I would never, ever trade my real tub for one.

Last edited by Sk8ermaiden; May 15th, 2011 at 06:04 PM.
May 16th, 2011, 02:44 PM
Platinum Supermommy
OH that sounds great! I hope you find everything you need to make it your comfy birth zone...and YAY that dh wants to get in and be involved...that alone will be perfect for support and something to lean on....and his excitement probably helped....I'm so glad you were able to talk to him about it!!!!

We aren't to give a baby milk, berries, or peanut butter. We are to introduce new foods one at a time. But it's OK to inject several viruses, bacteria, aluminum, formaldehyde, phenoxyethanol, animal serum, mercury, squalene and more into an 8 week old? I don't think so.
In order to be healthy it is an unfortunate fact that people must be allowed the opportunity to be ill. I trust my body and those of my children to work correctly against the relatively benign diseases they vax for, and do not trust the ingredients in the vaccinations.
Our choice to not vax isn't based in ignorance, poverty, conspiracy theory and rumor. It's research, common sense, fact and evidence based..something the medical community has largely forgot about.
May 17th, 2011, 06:26 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I gave birth to my last in a big jacuzzi tub at the birth center and I loved it! The sides were nice and sturdy to lean against, the only thing I would have changed was to put a mat or cushion under my knees when I was in there, since that's how I pushed. Once she was out and I moved, my poor knees were so numb. I agree that with a few things, you should be able to make the tub perfect for the birth!

Expecting baby #4 - It's a BOY!

May 17th, 2011, 02:52 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
Man I would LOVE to give birth in that tub!

May 20th, 2011, 02:46 PM
pink_piggy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sounds like the ladies here have given you some great suggestions. Honestly tho, if that tub doesn't work for you, talk to your dh and midwife. You need to be comfy. I wish we had a tub like that. I used this pool to give birth. Amazon.com: 75" x 70" x 24" Swim Center Ocean Reef Pool: Toys & Games It was actually pretty comfy and worked out well for me. It's also huge so there is no doubt in my mind your dh would be able to fit. Good luck in whatever you choose.
May 21st, 2011, 01:07 AM
Platinum Supermommy
SO I had a nice big inflatable pool thing and I HATED it lol! I ended up giving birth on my bed. Sigh. Anyway - I was just too warm.
I did put a yoga mat in my shower too . . .

Thank you Kiliki for my first beautiful Siggie!

mom of 2 angels and an earth baby
May 26th, 2011, 12:46 PM
jojow
I birthed in our whirlpool tub and it was fabulous. Ours has a built in seat with plenty of room to spare. I leaned over that seat a lot during labor. I birthed squatting near the faucet. Once I got in the tub, I didn't get out until my baby was born two hours later.

I would definitely spend time making the environment soft, womanly, sensual. That will help you tremendously, I think. Do you have any windows in the bathroom?

This is our tub.

May 27th, 2011, 02:27 PM
Happy Mommy
lurking - I agree that you could get pool supplies to help with the comfort level. also since you are shorter, I'd just suggest don't fill the tub more then a level that is good for you (chest level) test it out and see where you want it NOW, so that when time comes you all already remember where to stop the water flow.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search