contacting a midwife soon

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 15th, 2011, 03:31 PM
geogeek's Avatar Marsi's Mommy
I have been seeing an OB and I like him enough. But, before I got pregnant with this little one, I had 4 miscarriages. So, automatically I was labeled high risk. Those were all chemical pregnancies with the longest lasting 5 weeks. I am 17 weeks now. I am starting to feel the baby move. Now my drive for a home birth is getting so strong I can't hide it anymore. I have my ultrasound the end of next week for the anatomy scan and I hope to be under the care of a midwife by 20 weeks planning my wonderful home, water birth.

Is there anything that I should do to stop seeing the OB better? That is the only part I am not looking forward to. I don't want the whole OB telling the woman she is going to kill her baby thing. If he classifies me as high risk, I am afraid that no midwife will take me on as a client and that is hanging over my head. I just hope my OB will release me from his care easily.

Thank you *kiliki* for my beautiful siggy!

Last edited by geogeek; May 15th, 2011 at 03:34 PM.
May 18th, 2011, 05:21 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I transferred from my OB to my midwives at 12 weeks. I contacted my midwifery group first, had my first appointment with them, then notified my OB's office that I was canceling my next appointment. I didn't tell him face-to-face, but I went to his office and talked to his office staff to get the records transferred, then left a very polite voicemail on his nurses' line thanking him for the great care that he provided me through my miscarriages and early pregnancy. My midwives happen to know the OB I used and told me that he is generally supportive of them, and he would not be offended that I transferred because I want a home birth.

Regarding your "risk" based on your early miscarriages, my midwifery group did a risk assessment. If your midwife uses the same assessment, having 3 or more back to back miscarriages would earn a score of 3 on the assessment, meaning that your record would have to be reviewed by their own back-up OB. Since most midwives have a home-birth friendly back-up OB, I don't think that OB would think you were too risky just because of early miscarriages, especially since you've made it this far now.

If you do pursue the home birth option, make sure to ask about pro-rated rates for the midwifery services since you are transferring into the practice later on. My midwives dropped $300 from their usual rate since I had done all the first trimester testing and appointments already.

So to summarize, I would recommend contacting the midwifery group and setting up an appointment first, see how things go with that appointment, THEN tell the OB that you are transferring if you decide to. Good luck!

Lucia Jane, born 10.9.11

Forever missing our angel babies
May 19th, 2011, 07:48 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I was going to an OB with my last baby and then switched to a midwife at around 12 or so weeks I believe...I'd only had one appt with the OB I think. I just called and canceled my appt and then never set another one. I didn't tell them what I was doing and didn't really care to. LOL....You could get copies of your record when you go in (it's your right) and then just say you are transferring care so that will be your last appt. You dont have to go thru an explanation or anything. You have the right to transfer care and such without having to give excuses...GOOD LUCK.....

We aren't to give a baby milk, berries, or peanut butter. We are to introduce new foods one at a time. But it's OK to inject several viruses, bacteria, aluminum, formaldehyde, phenoxyethanol, animal serum, mercury, squalene and more into an 8 week old? I don't think so.
In order to be healthy it is an unfortunate fact that people must be allowed the opportunity to be ill. I trust my body and those of my children to work correctly against the relatively benign diseases they vax for, and do not trust the ingredients in the vaccinations.
Our choice to not vax isn't based in ignorance, poverty, conspiracy theory and rumor. It's research, common sense, fact and evidence based..something the medical community has largely forgot about.
May 19th, 2011, 08:15 AM
Thanks for the advice ladies. I think that I will be requesting a copy of my records today to have them Monday when I go in. I am contacting the midwife practice today to set up a first appointment. I hope that it is okay that I am almost 20 weeks...

May 19th, 2011, 12:22 PM
Platinum Supermommy
im sure it will be fine....

We aren't to give a baby milk, berries, or peanut butter. We are to introduce new foods one at a time. But it's OK to inject several viruses, bacteria, aluminum, formaldehyde, phenoxyethanol, animal serum, mercury, squalene and more into an 8 week old? I don't think so.
In order to be healthy it is an unfortunate fact that people must be allowed the opportunity to be ill. I trust my body and those of my children to work correctly against the relatively benign diseases they vax for, and do not trust the ingredients in the vaccinations.
Our choice to not vax isn't based in ignorance, poverty, conspiracy theory and rumor. It's research, common sense, fact and evidence based..something the medical community has largely forgot about.
May 19th, 2011, 07:12 PM
Alison79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I transferred care late in my 4th pregnancy because we moved out of state. Most midwives are used to getting clients later in pregnancy. Best of luck with your appointment!
May 19th, 2011, 07:21 PM
With my history the midwife recommended me for a birth center rather than home birth. I am hoping that when I move I can move toward a home birth. I LOVE the practice there. They are wonderful midwives. They answered every single question that I had. They let me stay there for over an hour. It was wonderful.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search