Insurance Coverage?

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 3rd, 2011, 06:22 PM
MissusF's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Were you able to get any insurance coverage for your home birth or even a midwife assisted birth in a hospital? I was expecting to have at least some coverage because I have really great insurance, but I heard back from my midwife's billing agent today and they won't cover anything. Paying out of pocket isn't an issue for us because her fees are pretty low, but I would still like to get some coverage from the insurance plan that I pay for every month.... If I use an OB they will pay at 100% but will not cover a midwife at all. Even if she practices in a hospital.

Claire Ellene 2/13/12 8 lbs 6 oz 21"

June 3rd, 2011, 11:52 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Yes both my husbands and my insurance will cover our homebirth. Even if they didn't, it would still be cheaper than the hospital.
June 4th, 2011, 10:43 AM
east to west coast's Avatar ~Melissa~
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissusF View Post
Were you able to get any insurance coverage for your home birth or even a midwife assisted birth in a hospital? I was expecting to have at least some coverage because I have really great insurance, but I heard back from my midwife's billing agent today and they won't cover anything. Paying out of pocket isn't an issue for us because her fees are pretty low, but I would still like to get some coverage from the insurance plan that I pay for every month.... If I use an OB they will pay at 100% but will not cover a midwife at all. Even if she practices in a hospital.
I have the same thing going on with our insurance as you, Melissa. We have BCBS, and we found out shortly after I became pregnant that our insurance will cover all fees associated with a midwife, but only if he or she is also an RN. It just so happens that none of the midwives in our area (we live in Northern CA) that do home births are RN's, so we are paying out of pocket. As you said, the costs aren't prohibitively expensive, and our midwives allow us to pay as much or as little as we want as long as we have the total paid off by the time I'm 36 weeks. But, it's still really annoying that the insurance won't cover anything, considering how much we pay for it!

Thank you, MommaDucks, for my lovely siggy
June 4th, 2011, 02:26 PM
MissusF's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We have Federal BCBS and I was really hopeful that we'd have at least a little bit of coverage or be able to get an out of network exception or SOMETHING. But apparently they don't cover midwives period, not even a CNM. It's annoying because we hardly ever use our insurance and now that we finally have a reason to they won't cover us. Oh well, paying out of pocket is worth it to get the birth I want.

Claire Ellene 2/13/12 8 lbs 6 oz 21"

June 4th, 2011, 10:00 PM
Mega Super Mommy
A law was passed in Florida several years ago mandating coverage for midwives. I guess California doesn't have a similar law (I'm kind of surprised- you'd think California of all places would be midwife-friendly). Since I'm in Florida, my midwives are covered, although my home birth practice is out of network so I am only covered 60% and have a higher deductible. If I had gone with the local birth center, they would have been in-network, but I wanted a home birth this time (last baby for me), so I was willing to fork out the extra cash.

Lucia Jane, born 10.9.11

Forever missing our angel babies
June 12th, 2011, 08:32 AM
This is an issue I'm struggling with as well. I currently have no insurance, and I'm TTC. I plan on having a home water birth when I do. I can get on my husband's insurance but it will be $400 additional per month. It's only $50 for him. But it would cover my homebirth. The thing is we would have to pay $2000 deductible. Yipes!! That's just more money than I can justify for something I never use. I really never ever go to the doctor. So, I'm looking into just getting emergency insurance, that would cover a c section, or any hospitalization of any kind. That would be about $80 per month and then just paying the midwife cash.

Do any previous homebirth moms have an opinion on this? Anyone planning a homebirth and having the same dilemma??
June 12th, 2011, 01:23 PM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Nope had to pay out of pocket.
June 12th, 2011, 03:01 PM
Alison79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have BCBS as well. When I was under the NH plan they paid out of network coverage but here in TX they pay nothing. Thankfully her cash fee is very reasonable and about what I would pay for a hospital birth in just co-pays/labs so it works out about the same. If I had a transport they would cover the hospital fees in network.
June 13th, 2011, 10:11 AM
~Nik*Re~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The midwife I found here doesn't even accept insurance, is that odd? If I remember correctly I think that our insurance might reimburse, but I'm not 100% sure. Her fees are $2,500 and if I went to my OB and in the hospital after insurance we would owe $469. I would have to pay $67 every time I go in to have it all paid off by 7 months.

Check out my FB page for cute Boutique Stuff for Boys and Girls

June 15th, 2011, 05:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by east to west coast View Post
I have the same thing going on with our insurance as you, Melissa. We have BCBS, and we found out shortly after I became pregnant that our insurance will cover all fees associated with a midwife, but only if he or she is also an RN. It just so happens that none of the midwives in our area (we live in Northern CA) that do home births are RN's, so we are paying out of pocket. As you said, the costs aren't prohibitively expensive, and our midwives allow us to pay as much or as little as we want as long as we have the total paid off by the time I'm 36 weeks. But, it's still really annoying that the insurance won't cover anything, considering how much we pay for it!
Hi, I am new here, but, did you ask for an in-network exception (or out-of-network referral)? The state of California mandates that insurance covers midwives, and not only CNMs.
June 15th, 2011, 07:57 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
We have military insurance and even they pay 1/2 of the home birth fees but it has to be a CNM for them to cover. Luckily there is one in our area.

June 16th, 2011, 10:28 AM
HippyMomOf4's Avatar Hippy Mom Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to HippyMomOf4 Send a message via MSN to HippyMomOf4 Send a message via Yahoo to HippyMomOf4
Ditto to Lyndsey post since we saw the same.midwife

June 16th, 2011, 12:04 PM
cheezpoofs's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My insurance covered it both times I gave birth. The first time, I had to pay my deductible to my midwife. The second time, I had two different insurance companies during pregnancy and both covered home birth with my midwife. I only had one when I actually gave birth and I do have to pay some to make up toward the difference that they underpay her, but it's still very much reasonable.

Even if I had to pay completely out of pocket, I'd still choose to have a home birth with a midwife. I'd make it work financially, one way or another.

I hope you are able to find a solution to have the birth you want!

For Lucius' birth, I had Harvard Pilgrim, which had great coverage. I believe a law was also passed in New Hampshire that required insurance to pay for midwife care.

For Orion, I started with Univera, which was awful coverage, but still covered home birth with a midwife at least partially. Later I got on Independent Health, which is good coverage and covers home birth with a midwife.

June 16th, 2011, 05:02 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
mine did not, but only because the midwife i chose does not accept any insurances. However, there are midwives in the area that work with several different insurance companies to get most or all of it covered. It doesn't hurt to ask!

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

June 18th, 2011, 05:36 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
The midwife I found here doesn't even accept insurance, is that odd? If I remember correctly I think that our insurance might reimburse, but I'm not 100% sure. Her fees are $2,500 and if I went to my OB and in the hospital after insurance we would owe $469. I would have to pay $67 every time I go in to have it all paid off by 7 months.
That's pretty normal, I think. We will be paying up front and submitting for reimbursement ourselves. We did the same with the birth center last time.

Our insurance isn't going to cover any of our home birth as far as I know. They did cover part of the birth center last time, but one of my midwives was also a CNM, and in our policy is specifically mentions covering CNMs and birth centers. It doesn't say anything about home births, so we're going to submit our receipts for reimbursement, but don't expect anything.

I'm suprised they dont' even cover CNMs in a hospital setting, I thought most insurances did since they usually work with OBs

It's sad isn't it? They could pay $2-4000 for a midwife but instead choose not to cover them and instead will end up paying $10-20,000 for an OB and hospital stay

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search