Deciding on homebirth in 3rd trimester?

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 29th, 2011, 09:50 PM
10x_A_Mommy's Avatar formerly mom_of_8
Just wondered if anyone has decided during the 3rd trimester to go with a home birth? We are planning a move to Tennessee and I'm not sure if it will happen before I have the baby or not (hoping it does). I have a great midwife here and have had wonderful natural childbirths in the hospitals birthing center, but where we plan to move to does not have ANYwhere within an hours drive that will allow waterbirth and that is essential to me. There are some homebirth midwives in that area, and I don't fear the home birth itself - I've delivered 7 kids already I know I can do it - but what I wonder is, is it likely she would pro-rate her fee seeing as there isn't a full pregnancy of prenatal checks? I'd love to have a home birth if we were still here but since there is a place that will allow waterbirths where my insurance will cover it, I don't want the extra out of pocket expense.
Tristan ~ lost 2/6/03 @ 20 weeks

June 30th, 2011, 12:41 PM
Alison79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I moved during a pregnancy and went from a planned hospital birth to a home birth. It was a great decision for us. My midwife deducted all my prior labwork and office visits from her fee - I think it worked out to be about $400. There are still a lot of visits and of course the birth and post partum care so I expected to be paying most of her fee, but the discount was nice! I really loved my home birth experiences - especially since all of my other kids could be there to watch the birth and then go back to doing whatever they wanted.
June 30th, 2011, 05:34 PM
booboobunny's Avatar mzdee
I had the same situation. We lived in such a remote area that we either had to have the baby in a hospital which only allowed you to labor in the water or travel quite a distance away to a midwife's home for a water birth. None of those were an option. The homebirth midwives in the area i use to live in were kind of hush hush. I didn't find my midwife until i was 28 weeks. I saw her again at 32 weeks and then again when my son was born at 38. My total expense for the birth or what my insurance paid was 899. Money was another issue but we kind of found a way to do it. My insurance covered the CNM as out of network expense. I had 2 midwives so they kind of worked out a deal on how to split the money. The best thing would be to start talking to some midwives and see where they stand as far as the financial part, some can be very flexible and some are not. I was up front with my midwives about money but i also told them about my hospital experience and they really wanted me to go through with the homebirth. Good luck with everything, i hope it works out for you.

Me - Daynuh

June 30th, 2011, 06:55 PM
10x_A_Mommy's Avatar formerly mom_of_8
Thanks ladies! And wow I was expecting costs to be much higher. Now that has me thinking about possibly doing a homebirth if we're still here afterall! There is one homebirth midwife in the immediate area and I've met her several times through a natural parenting group I'm in and she seems wonderful, maybe I'll talk to her about it and see. I really love my CNM though that I've had for my last 4 kids and would feel guilty leaving her at the same time. Oye decisions!!!
Tristan ~ lost 2/6/03 @ 20 weeks

July 1st, 2011, 09:38 AM
HippyMomOf4's Avatar Hippy Mom Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to HippyMomOf4 Send a message via MSN to HippyMomOf4 Send a message via Yahoo to HippyMomOf4
The fee would definitely be much less because your already over half done with your pregnancy. I would go for it!

July 23rd, 2011, 02:17 AM
Good luck I know everything will be ok

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search