Placenta Previa?

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 6th, 2011, 09:24 AM
~Nik*Re~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm only about 10 weeks but at my scan yesterday they said I have placenta previa. So now I'm wondering what I should do. I have been seeing my regular OB until DH and I make a definate desicion about the home birth. Plus we need to find a time to meet with her together. Here's my ordeal. I do not want to pay her $2500 and have to end up with a c-section because it didnt correct itself. I'm wondering if I can continue seeing my OB and at my 20 week scan switch to the midwife if its all ok. Or maybe even later. Would a midwife take me on at 20+ weeks? Would I still have to pay the whole fee of $2500? This is so complicated, why can't it just be easy? The worst part is waiting...I HATE waiting around for stuff.

Check out my FB page for cute Boutique Stuff for Boys and Girls

July 6th, 2011, 01:32 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
I know with my midwife her fee was not due until 36 weeks. So you could meet her switch and pay for services used if the placenta does not correct itself. Good luck hun.

July 6th, 2011, 03:16 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
ditto

*most* cases of previa (especially those diagnosed this early) resolve on their own. It's only a problem in terms of delivery if the previa is still there at the end.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

July 6th, 2011, 10:46 PM
10x_A_Mommy's Avatar Plus 1 :)
It probably depends on the midwife. I asked a similar question recently, about pro-rated fee's and most said they did. I'm 22 weeks and am meeting with a homebrith midwife within the next week, when I talked with her on the phone she said her normal fee is $2100-2800 for an entire pregnancy/delivery/postpartum but since I wouldn't be fully switching over until 36 weeks (due to the progesterone injections I'm on) she would only charge me for the few prenatal visits I'd have with her and the delivery.
Tristan ~ lost 2/6/03 @ 20 weeks

July 7th, 2011, 12:13 PM
~Nik*Re~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The reason I wanted to stay with my OB at first then switch, is because I would have to pay her $355 a month as opposed to the $64 a month at my Dr.
I just emailed her this morning so I'm just waiting for a response. Hopefully its a good one.

Check out my FB page for cute Boutique Stuff for Boys and Girls

July 7th, 2011, 12:26 PM
Alison79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Most midwives are used to transfers late in pregnancy. I know mine deducted a set amount for each visit and any labwork that I had done during my prior care with my OB. Most of her fee covered the birth and postpartum care so it wasn't a lot, but maybe $400 or so off of her normal fee. Also, if I transferred out of her care by 36 weeks I would have gotten a refund for most of her fee. So, I'd choose the care provider that you feel most comfortable with, and if you have to risk out of a home birth you should get a refund that you can use toward a hospital birth if needed.

July 23rd, 2011, 03:20 AM
July 23rd, 2011, 06:29 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to WendyBird Send a message via Yahoo to WendyBird
I would probably just go with the OB until the 20 week ultrasound. That's only 10 weeks, and about 2 prenatal appointments. If the previa is resolved at that point - which it often times is - I would then contact the midwife and transfer care to her.

Of course, it all depends on your midwife, but most will do a reduced fee if you start care with them later in the pregnancy.

My Ovulation Chart

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search