Hospital

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 8th, 2011, 10:55 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Would the distance you lived from the hospital make a difference in your choice for a homebirth?

Momma to Brynn 10/2/2002 (midwife at hospital)
Emme 5/26/2008 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
Pierce 11/28/2009 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
and Surprise Baby #4 due 11/13/2011
July 9th, 2011, 12:53 AM
Mega Super Mommy
How do you mean?
We live about 10-15 minutes away from our emergency hospital.
If they didn't suck and have a high C Section rate and also totally suck, that would change my mind on homebirth.

*not a fan of hospitals for birth*
July 9th, 2011, 07:53 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Not really. If I were to end up needing to go to the hospital though, I actually wouldn't go to the closest hospital, which is only 5 minutes away. Or even the next closest, which is 10. I'd go the 20-25 minutes to the hospital with the VBAC friendly doctors and friendlier nursing staff.

Me: Autoimmune (Hashimotos and Fibromyalgia), vitamin D and calcium deficiency. Treated with Synthroid, supplements, TCM and acupuncture.

DH: Severe MFI (low counts, low motility, poor morphology and high antibodies), likely caused by poor liver function. Treated with Clomid to increase total counts.

DD: Conceived after 1 year of TTC with progesterone to correct LPD (likely caused by undiagnosed thyroid dysfunction). Born Aug 2009 via c/s after an induction due to pre-e and HELLP.

TTC #2 since Oct10 with an early loss in Aug 2011. Post-wash counts are too low for IUI to be successful, so moving on to IVF/ICSI in May 2014!

IVF/ICSI #1 (May 2014): Estrogen priming and antagonist protocol, including acupuncture and prayer!
17/05/14 - Baseline looks good, start Gonal-F 225iu and Luveris 75iu
28/05/14 - 18 eggs retrieved, 14 mature
29/05/14 - 13 fertilized!!! All are looking great still on day 3, so we're going to blast!
02/06/14 - Transferred one 1BC blast, with 3 other blasts and 3 morulas to watch and freeze
03/06/14 - All embryos have arrested. None to freeze
09/06/14 - Faint BFP at home at 7dp5dt!!!!!
10/06/14 - Beta?
July 9th, 2011, 08:00 AM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
yes. I would be uncomfortable having a homebirth if I were more than 30-40 minutes from a hospital.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

July 9th, 2011, 08:22 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Ok I was thinking the same thing. We live about 30 min from the hospital and I was thinking thats a LONG time when there is a true emergency, baby not breathing, etc. Anyways if we were speeding it would be a lot faster of course.

Just wondering...

Momma to Brynn 10/2/2002 (midwife at hospital)
Emme 5/26/2008 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
Pierce 11/28/2009 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
and Surprise Baby #4 due 11/13/2011
July 10th, 2011, 06:55 AM
10x_A_Mommy's Avatar formerly mom_of_8
I'm with Muffin - the hospital I delivered all my kids at is about 25 minutes away, there are 3 other hospitals closer but those are not ncb friendly, I'm planning a homebirth this time but should I need transferred and it's not a life or death situation where every minute is essential, I would go to the further hospital.

If I lived very rurally and there was NO emergency help nearby though it may change my mind because home birth is so new to me. We have a fire/EMS station though less than 1/2 mile from my house.
Tristan ~ lost 2/6/03 @ 20 weeks

July 10th, 2011, 07:32 PM
MissusF's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
we live less than 3 miles from a hospital. If I loved more than 30-45 mins from one I would be hesitant to plan a home birth. That's a long ways away if there is an emergency.

Claire Ellene 2/13/12 8 lbs 6 oz 21"

July 11th, 2011, 05:31 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to WendyBird Send a message via Yahoo to WendyBird
Yes, if I was far from a hospital, I'd seriously rethink my decision. Not change my mind, but I'd have to really think about it. But, my hospital is 2 miles away, so it's a non-issue.

July 11th, 2011, 07:39 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Our closest hospital is about 20 minutes, which I'm comfortable with. We actually have one about 10 minutes away, but it doesn't have a L&D anymore. I think if I was more than 30-45 minutes from a hospital, I would reconsider. We do have an on-call EMT department, even in our small town and our neighbor is one of the EMTs, so that makes me feel better that she is just a minute away if we needed her.

Expecting baby #4!

July 12th, 2011, 07:37 AM
HippyMomOf4's Avatar Hippy Mom Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to HippyMomOf4 Send a message via MSN to HippyMomOf4 Send a message via Yahoo to HippyMomOf4
If I were like the other 30-45 min away I would reconsider. But thankfully I'm like 5 min away

July 27th, 2011, 02:18 AM
it was quiet scarry!
July 27th, 2011, 01:34 PM
Momof4Boyz's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Momof4Boyz
Honestly, yes. If we lived out real far away from a hospital it would worry me a bit. I had seen this hospital decently close to our house (under 20 minutes) but recently came to find out that it doesn't have a maternity ward! So it was out for emergencies. I was quite worried because the next nearest one I knew of was over an hour from us. Well then I was just touring through town (learning the area lol) and ran across another hospital, looked it up, it has a maternity ward and it's only 5 miles from the house (we could make it there in 10 minutes or less if we needed to) and that is where I'd go in the case of an emergency transfer. In a non-emergency transfer we'd go to the hospital that's about an hour away because my midwife is welcome there so we would be treated better.

Facebook

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search