What do you think about this quote?

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 9th, 2011, 10:19 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Home birth is an esthetic; do you really want to run the risk of losing a child or having a neurologically impaired child over an esthetic? A similar analogy is that the vast majority of car rides do not end with a motor vehicle accident, and some babies and children hate their car seat. Yet any sensible and responsible person would put their child in a safe car seat just in case the unthinkable happened. Why would you not do the same for delivery of that child?
Home Birth- A Cautionary Tale | Elevate Your Health Colorado

I want to hear your thoughts...

By the way if you don't mind I would like you to explain yourself as well as you can and even debate if possible. Basically I want to see everything your mind thinks when you stand up for, or against, home birth. (If you want too of course ).

Momma to Brynn 10/2/2002 (midwife at hospital)
Emme 5/26/2008 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
Pierce 11/28/2009 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
and Surprise Baby #4 due 11/13/2011
July 9th, 2011, 10:24 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Just wanted to add that you can read the whole article if you would like. I got the quote from the comments section. I don't want to debate the statistics that Time magazine used as I do not know where they were derived from. However, I do know that we could find statistics showing that a home birth is just as safe or safer.

Found the quote for the statistics
Quote:
Since the original post, the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists has issued an opinion on home births. The committee opinion, in a statement released in January, says that "although the absolute risk of planned home births is low, published medical evidence shows it does carry a two- to three-fold increase in the risk of newborn death compared with planned hospital births." The statement goes on to say, "Based on the available data, The College believes that hospitals and birthing centers are the safest place for labor and delivery." The press release on the statement can be found here: http://www.acog.org/from_home/publications/press_releases/nr01-20-11.cfm ACOG's full committee opinion (Committee Opinion #476, "Planned Home Birth") was published in the February 2011 issue of Obstetrics & Gynecology.

Last edited by GrowBabyGrow; July 9th, 2011 at 10:35 PM.
July 10th, 2011, 12:36 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Eh, written by an OB from Keiser. Ugh my old job tried to get me to use them through our really terrible health insurance. Keiser hospital was right up the road though I never used them. Several of my co-workers did and all of them had a horror story.

Only glanced through the article, but I don't put a lot of credibility in things OBs say. It's a profession I do not trust at all.
July 11th, 2011, 06:28 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to WendyBird Send a message via Yahoo to WendyBird
That makes no sense, really. Those things don't equate. Having a homebirth does not = death or neurological impairment. If those things occur, it has nothing to do with where you gave birth. Chances are just as high, if not higher, in a hospital birth. If you are in a car accident with an infant that is not properly restrained, it's almost a 100% guarantee that that child will get injured. Bad analogy!

The way to help ensure the safety of your child during birth is to have someone with you that is trained to deal with emergencies - or recognize emergent situations and get you to someone that can take care of that emergency. (and I say "Help", because even in the best situation, anything can happen)

At at homebirth, you have an attendant with you, watching over you. At a hospital, you are left alone for hours on end with electronics watching you - and they aren't reliable.

My Ovulation Chart

July 25th, 2011, 01:27 PM
Regular
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowBabyGrow View Post
Home birth is an esthetic; do you really want to run the risk of losing a child or having a neurologically impaired child over an esthetic? A similar analogy is that the vast majority of car rides do not end with a motor vehicle accident, and some babies and children hate their car seat. Yet any sensible and responsible person would put their child in a safe car seat just in case the unthinkable happened. Why would you not do the same for delivery of that child?
I feel this is BULL. An aesthetic? Seriously? How does birthing at home make you look cool? If anything it comes with the risk of looking like a kook! My extended family won't find out about my birthing location till baby is here. Then I will only tell them if they ask. And I've seen so many things that show that MWs have lower infant mortality rates. AND I don't want to deliver a defenseless baby into an environment filled with STAPH and other horrible nasties. Ooooooo this comment made me

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrowe70 View Post
eh, written by an ob from keiser.
Only glanced through the article, but i don't put a lot of credibility in things obs say. It's a profession i do not trust at all.
this!

July 26th, 2011, 11:45 AM
Platinum Supermommy
^^ It really annoyed me too.

The car seat analogy was really lame. IMO the hospital provides a false sense of security. Now dont get me wrong, if I knew of a hospital that actually provided care that was best for mother and baby rather than hospital policy and regulation, I would go for it. However Im not going to drive down the highway at 200mph just bc I have a carseat. KWIM?

July 26th, 2011, 07:56 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I agree with Wendy: a bad analogy! I'd love to see the OB who wrote the article's induction and elective c-section statistics.

You could also argue (in a just as stupid fashion) that I am protecting my baby more than hospital birthers by not putting her at risk with an extra ride in the car to and from the hospital, if you want to talk about stupid risk statistics. Maybe I'll really protect her by never letting her leave the house and wrapping her in bubble wrap while I'm at it, too.

Lucia Jane, born 10.9.11

Forever missing our angel babies
July 27th, 2011, 11:13 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
The car seat analogy was really lame. IMO the hospital provides a false sense of security. Now dont get me wrong, if I knew of a hospital that actually provided care that was best for mother and baby rather than hospital policy and regulation, I would go for it. However Im not going to drive down the highway at 200mph just bc I have a carseat. KWIM?
Agreed, many doctors and hospitals mean an increase in interventions which means an increase in risk. I'd be curious to see the actual studies and statistics quoted in this article since I have also seen many statistics showing home birth is just as safe for mom and baby. Obviously they came from 2 different studies, so what statistics were they looking at in each?

Expecting baby #4 - It's a BOY!

July 27th, 2011, 01:59 PM
I think home births are a beautiful thing, but when push comes to shove I'd rather have an expert around when my baby comes into the world.
July 28th, 2011, 07:40 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to WendyBird Send a message via Yahoo to WendyBird
Quote:
Originally Posted by anne.G View Post
I think home births are a beautiful thing, but when push comes to shove I'd rather have an expert around when my baby comes into the world.
Who do you consider an expert? What makes them an expert?

My Ovulation Chart

July 29th, 2011, 02:22 AM
smileybrea's Avatar ♥ Proud Doula & CPST ♥
Quote:
Originally Posted by andi2284 View Post
Agreed, many doctors and hospitals mean an increase in interventions which means an increase in risk.
Exactly my thoughts. You walk into a hospital and you have IV's and continuous monitoring. IV's pumping you full of fluid so you and baby both swell and retain water. Continuous monitoring that has been proven to NOT improve outcomes. Then let's talk about all the other stuff. AROM just because you are a tad dilated and they can. So risks with that are prolapse cord..yeah that's safe. Then let's just give you a "little pit" to stimulate things because your body isn't doing this fast enough and we are in a business to make money. The next mom is just outside the door. Now you have the snowball effect..mom is tired and worn out, baby is now stressed with decels/excels, possible meconium and thank goodness you were in the hospital and not at home so we can save your baby because surely it would've been catastrophic. Yeah right..hospitals are safer HA!

Did you know that 95% of children are not properly restrained in a vehicle?
Make sure your child is not one of them!

July 30th, 2011, 12:27 AM
Platinum Supermommy
The study which showed home birth as riskier than hospital birth was basically comparing apples to oranges. It was a meta analysis - so it did have some good info (like study done recently here in Canada comparing planned home birth with planned home birth - and found if anything planned home birth is SAFER) The problem was the biggest study in the bunch was one where they just looked at birth records - so there was NO info on whether or not the home births were planned - or if there was a trained attendant. So really it very very flawed. No s*** it's less safe to have a baby in a bathroom accidentally than with a trained professional. That's why most of us hire midwives.
So basically I think the person who wrote the article and the person commenting are either uneducated, ignorant, unable to read research with a critical mind or have an agenda. I think it's a pity they may affect what other people do - but I also fell completely sure that I made the *best* decision.
Oh - if you want the studies I'm referring to I can dig them up . . . .

Thank you Kiliki for my first beautiful Siggie!

mom of 2 angels and an earth baby
July 30th, 2011, 12:36 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Here is the canadian study:http://www.cmaj.ca/cgi/reprint/181/6-7/377.pdf
Here are criticisms of the meta analysis the article references:
doctors - Medscape: Medscape Access
midwives - Midwives Respond to Homebirth Study

Thank you Kiliki for my first beautiful Siggie!

mom of 2 angels and an earth baby

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search