testing

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 13th, 2011, 10:43 PM
HippyMomOf4's Avatar Hippy Mom Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to HippyMomOf4 Send a message via MSN to HippyMomOf4 Send a message via Yahoo to HippyMomOf4
What testing do you have done during pregnancy? Are there any test you decline like GD, gbs, blood work or u/s?

July 14th, 2011, 06:14 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to WendyBird Send a message via Yahoo to WendyBird
I did the bloodwork at the beginning of the pg, but declined the std's. I'll do the GD, but it's just grape juice and a finger prick at home. I did the ultrasound. Then I don't plan on doing anything else.
Kyron, Porter, Donovan, Jocelyn, & expecting #5

July 14th, 2011, 11:52 AM
baabaamilker's Avatar Veteran
I call myself the waiver queen. If there is a waiver to turn it down I'll sign it. However, I've had some of my care at the military hospital this time so I had some blood work done but not all. They also gave me two ultrasounds.

With my current midwife (German) I don't think there would be any tests available from her, she's very grassroots.

July 14th, 2011, 05:39 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I tried to refuse an ultrasound and STD test back in December at a hospital but they were super rude and basically scared me into them. After that it was homebirth all the way and I told my husband the next time I stepped into a hospital for this babe it better be a BIG emergency.

Ultrasound at 8 weeks to establish due date
My midwife required an AIDs test which was fine by me.
I did a blood test around 15 weeks to find out my blood type(my husband did too)
20 week ultrasound
Just today I made a last minute decision to do a GBS test

Haven't taken anything else.
July 14th, 2011, 07:18 PM
Alison79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have labwork drawn at the first visit, I do a sono at 20 weeks, random glucose check at 28 (just a finger stick, not the glucose test), 3rd trimester labs and an iron check to make sure it's high enough for home birth. I do the GBS testing because I am allergic to a bunch of antibiotics and if I ever transferred to the hospital and didn't have the test they require antibiotics and I'd rather have proof of a negative test so they leave me alone
July 14th, 2011, 08:45 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I did all testing with DD, and I probably will next time as well. I want to be prepared in case there is an issue. (Especially because I had several last time) There are a few that are absolute necessities for me though. U/S (selfish reason though. I want to see the baby!) BP, protein, CBC (closer to delivery) and GD.

Me: Autoimmune (Hashimotos and Fibromyalgia), vitamin D and calcium deficiency. Treated with Synthroid, supplements, TCM and acupuncture.

DH: Severe MFI (low counts, low motility, poor morphology and high antibodies), likely caused by poor liver function. Treated with Clomid to increase total counts.

DD: Conceived after 1 year of TTC with progesterone to correct LPD (likely caused by undiagnosed thyroid dysfunction). Born Aug 2009 via c/s after an induction due to pre-e and HELLP.

TTC #2 since Oct10 with an early loss in Aug 2011. Post-wash counts are too low for IUI to be successful, so moving on to IVF/ICSI in May 2014!

IVF/ICSI #1 (May 2014): Estrogen priming and antagonist protocol, including acupuncture and prayer!
17/05/14 - Baseline looks good, start Gonal-F 225iu and Luveris 75iu
28/05/14 - 18 eggs retrieved, 14 mature
29/05/14 - 13 fertilized!!! All are looking great still on day 3, so we're going to blast!
02/06/14 - Transferred one 1BC blast, with 3 other blasts and 3 morulas to watch and freeze
03/06/14 - All embryos have arrested. None to freeze
09/06/14 - Faint BFP at home at 7dp5dt!!!!!
10/06/14 - Beta?
July 14th, 2011, 09:09 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Because of my age and the fact that I had back-to-back miscarriages immediately preceding this pregnancy, and didn't know how far along I was at first, I've had more testing than in past pregnancies.

I've had so far:
-Initial comprehensive blood work and Pap at my first visit (I was still with an OB at the time).
-Dating ultrasound at 6.5 weeks
-Another ultrasound when I was having cramping at 8.5 weeks
-Nuchal translucency ultrasound and 1st trimester screening blood work at 11.5 weeks
-Second trimester screening blood work at 16.5 weeks
-Anatomy ultrasound at 18 weeks

I will be having:
-Gestational diabetes testing (I drink grape juice at home and then my midwives draw my blood at home an hour later with the rest of the blood work to send to the lab), Rh antibody testing (I'm Rh- and dh is Rh+), and CBC next Tuesday (27 1/2 wks). GD testing is not optional in my midwives' practice- I have to do it if I want them to deliver at home.

-GBS testing at 36 weeks

Lucia Jane, born 10.9.11

Forever missing our angel babies

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search