A few questions....

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 13th, 2011, 11:55 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I am thinking about having a home birth for #2 (not yet conceived) But I worry about a few things. What kind of complications can be dealt with during a home birth? For example, I was GBS+, so I am assuming I will be next time as well, can they treat this in a home birth? Also, DS had merconium in his water. How is this dealt with? Can you tell me how a home birth plays out?

I am happy with the hospital birth I had with Peter, because it got me my precious baby. But I was a little upset that everything was so procedural! I didn't even get to see him for 20 minutes because they were sucking out his lungs! I am hoping for something a little more personal and comfortable for the next one. We are going to start TTC #2 in 2 1/2 months....

July 14th, 2011, 07:20 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to WendyBird Send a message via Yahoo to WendyBird
I don't really know the answers to your questions, but I'll take a stab at them.

As for GBS. You can't really assume you will have it next time. Because, well, it's not unusual to always have it. It's part of your body system. In fact, you could have it one day, and it could be gone the next. But, if you have a CNM, not a CPM, they could prescribe antibiotics to you.

For meconium, they just suction the baby with the bulb thingy. If it's really bad, they'll probably have you take the baby in to see a doctor.

Really, it all depends on your midwife, and what she feels comfortable with. And you'll only know that once you start interviewing some.

My midwife is a CNM, and her day job is an L&D nurse. The only thing that would risk me out of a home birth is preeclampsia, transverse lie, or complete previa. So everything else she would take care of, or we would go to a doctor after the birth to get checked up on.

Good luck ttc!

My Ovulation Chart

July 14th, 2011, 08:26 AM
HippyMomOf4's Avatar Hippy Mom Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to HippyMomOf4 Send a message via MSN to HippyMomOf4 Send a message via Yahoo to HippyMomOf4
for gbs depending on how you want it treated you can do a wash they have( can't think of the name right now lol) I was gbs + and decided to just go with the IV. As far as complications my midwives bring pitocin in case of hemorrhage after birth, they also bring oxygen for mom and baby.

July 14th, 2011, 06:30 PM
Mega Super Mommy
As long as you are low risk you can do everything in homebirth that would be done at a hospital(for low risk women that is). GBS+ is not a big deal and doesn't put you in high risk. She'll give you antibiotics if needed, or you can opt out of the testing altogether.
If baby needs suctioning they will usually do it while he is lying on your chest if able. Immediate mom/babe bonding is strongly encouraged by midwives. Many homebirth babes aren't even weighed or measured until an hour after birth so mom can bond and establish breastfeeding.

The main things to consider are the midwife(there are different types so go interview and get references on a couple) and how close to a hospital you are.

In the past year my midwife has had 2 hospital transfers. 1 had a very large tear and she is only equiped to stitch small tears, and the other wouldn't stop bleeding even with the drugs she had on hand. Both women were perfectly fine and she said they really weren't huge panic situations or anything.

Good luck to you in getting the birth you want.
July 14th, 2011, 09:56 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMissKnockedUp View Post

As for GBS. You can't really assume you will have it next time. Because, well, it's not unusual to always have it. It's part of your body system. In fact, you could have it one day, and it could be gone the next. But, if you have a CNM, not a CPM, they could prescribe antibiotics to you.
My midwives are CPM/LMs, and they can prescribe antibiotics. They are allowed to prescribe anything pregnancy-related. If I turn up GBS positive, I will be given IV antibiotics every 4 hours while in labor.

My midwives carry equipment needed to resuscitate a baby if needed, pitocin, oxygen, etc. If baby definitely aspirated meconium, he would probably be sent to the hospital for further treatment after the home birth. Otherwise, midwives try to encourage mother-baby bonding and don't take baby away from mom's chest to do a full exam for quite some time after the birth.

Lucia Jane, born 10.9.11

Forever missing our angel babies

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search