A Newbie Seeking Information!

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 25th, 2011, 02:39 PM
blessdmommy's Avatar Happy mama to 3!
Send a message via AIM to blessdmommy
I just got my BFP today, I'm wondering if anyone can help me find some scientific information about home birth? I'd really like to have a home birth (for the lack of medical interventions), and I'm going to need help to convince DH. Thanks, ladies!

Mama to 3, expecting #4 in December!

July 26th, 2011, 02:05 AM
Mega Super Mommy
COngrats and welcome!
There are several links in the stickied threads at the top of this forum you can check out.
For me what really convinced my husband was meeting with our midwife. She had all the right answers.
July 26th, 2011, 10:54 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I agree with letting your DH talk with midwives. I took mine when we toured the birth center and it really helped him. I think he visualized some kind of voodoo thing before he saw they were actually medically prepared. Good luck and CONGRATS!

Momma to Brynn 10/2/2002 (midwife at hospital)
Emme 5/26/2008 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
Pierce 11/28/2009 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
and Surprise Baby #4 due 11/13/2011
July 26th, 2011, 05:31 PM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
I agree, when my Dh actually met my midwives and was able to ask them all the questions he had, and hear all their "what if" scenarios it eased his mind a lot. Before that he just thought that they came with nothing, but to hear that they carried all the medical stuff and knew how to use it, it helped. Congrats!

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
July 26th, 2011, 08:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle View Post
I agree, when my Dh actually met my midwives and was able to ask them all the questions he had, and hear all their "what if" scenarios it eased his mind a lot. Before that he just thought that they came with nothing, but to hear that they carried all the medical stuff and knew how to use it, it helped. Congrats!
Haha. Yeah. Um. They come to your house, boil water and hope for the best! Men! lol

Thanks ladies! I emailed the midwife I'd like to have attend my birth (if we decide on homebirth) and she said she'd love to meet and when we do, she'll bring the doppler so we can hear the HB. She also said that she'll answer any and all questions via email/phone until we make our decision. I really think that once DH talks with her, he'll be more comfortable.

July 27th, 2011, 10:58 AM
HippyMomOf4's Avatar Hippy Mom Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to HippyMomOf4 Send a message via MSN to HippyMomOf4 Send a message via Yahoo to HippyMomOf4
Same for my dh having him meet our midwife really helped him be ok with it. Now he said all future children will be homebirths

July 28th, 2011, 04:53 PM
Keakie's Avatar Learning to walk in faith
Luckily, my df was pro-homebirth when we met but we've watched 'The Business of Being Born' together and it definitely solidified his position. Is your DH a documentary kind of guy? Maybe seeing the facts presented that way will help?

'Pregnant in America' is a slightly different tone but it's similar information and also very well presented.
July 29th, 2011, 10:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keakie View Post
Luckily, my df was pro-homebirth when we met but we've watched 'The Business of Being Born' together and it definitely solidified his position. Is your DH a documentary kind of guy? Maybe seeing the facts presented that way will help?

'Pregnant in America' is a slightly different tone but it's similar information and also very well presented.
I've watched segments of TBOBB online and my DH (at the time anyway) was saying that "it's all emotional" Hes a very piratical numbers kind of guy. He wants to see statistics/medical studies ect. Although I don't think he realized that part of TBOBB was that often than not, births are augmented by pitocin and other drugs, leading to cesareans.

I plan to schedule a consult with the midwife I'd like to use in early September. This way I can hear the HB by then and DH and I will have had time to get on the same page as far as knowing the research. I think talking to the midwife will help him a lot.

July 29th, 2011, 11:51 AM
Keakie's Avatar Learning to walk in faith
Pregnant in America may be a better choice then. I remember TBOBB as having a lot of facts but maybe they were presented in a way that I received easily.

I don't know if it would make a difference, but PiA is narrated, written and directed from the POV of the husband. Would that make a difference? Even though he enjoyed TBOBB overall, my df has a low tolerance for Ricki Lake.
July 29th, 2011, 09:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keakie View Post
Pregnant in America may be a better choice then. I remember TBOBB as having a lot of facts but maybe they were presented in a way that I received easily.

I don't know if it would make a difference, but PiA is narrated, written and directed from the POV of the husband. Would that make a difference? Even though he enjoyed TBOBB overall, my df has a low tolerance for Ricki Lake.
I don't think my husband is all into Ricki Lake, either. lol
Oh that's neat, I think he'd probably enjoy that, being that it's in the prospective of a husband. I'll have to track it down and watch it with him! Thanks for the recommendation!

July 29th, 2011, 11:31 PM
Platinum Supermommy
This was how DH convince ME! LOL - http://www.cmaj.ca/cgi/reprint/181/6-7/377.pdf

Thank you Kiliki for my first beautiful Siggie!

mom of 2 angels and an earth baby
July 30th, 2011, 08:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sodagirl View Post
This was how DH convince ME! LOL - http://www.cmaj.ca/cgi/reprint/181/6-7/377.pdf
Thanks! I just read through it and sent it to DH. I had previously sent him one that was published in 2005, but 2009 is better!

I watched Pregnant in America last night...SO much better than Ricki's documentary! IMHO.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search