Met the midwife today

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 25th, 2011, 10:39 PM
10x_A_Mommy's Avatar formerly mom_of_8
The midwife came over for our consultation and it went really well, I felt really comfortable with her and she was able to ease a lot of dh's fears. I'm dreaming of having this home birth, but I'm just not sure we can afford it I've had good experiences with my CNM in the hospital, and I know I would have another good experience with her, but I really want the chance to experience it at home.

She did say she'd take payments, but I need to discuss with her just how much because as a family of 9 (going on 10) on one income, our budget is stretched pretty thin and I wasn't thinking of the whole picture - cost of midwife + supplies + doula. She does barter, maybe we'll get lucky and she'll need some work done on her car or something lol - dh is a mechanic.

So anyway........not sure where I stand yet as to where I'll be having this baby but at least the first step in considering home birth has been taken. I do a lot of sewing and web design and used to run 2 businesses so maybe I can pick that back up a little and make some extra cash to fund the birth.
Tristan ~ lost 2/6/03 @ 20 weeks

July 26th, 2011, 02:03 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Glad it went pretty well.
DO you have a finalized cost? Maybe there is somewhere you can cut corners. Such as you don't need to have a doula and a lot of the supplies are things you already have sitting around the house(towels, garbage sacks, etc...)
Good luck in getting the birth you want, keep us posted.
July 26th, 2011, 07:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrowe70 View Post
Glad it went pretty well.
DO you have a finalized cost? Maybe there is somewhere you can cut corners. Such as you don't need to have a doula and a lot of the supplies are things you already have sitting around the house(towels, garbage sacks, etc...)
Good luck in getting the birth you want, keep us posted.
She didn't throw out a number, I was looking through some paperwork she left and her fee for someone starting care with her after 34 weeks is $75 per prenatal visit and $2k for the birth and post partum care. She does require an assistant, and the doula I used with my last birth does assist most of her births. I've known her for about 5 years and she only charged me a $200 doula fee for my last delivery (compared to her normal $500 fee).

Her tub rental and liner totals $170 but I found birthing pool kits much much cheaper online. She did keep emphasizing "do Not let money stop you from the birth you want" and said we can work something out so I just need to talk to her in more detail on the exact cost and what amount of payments she would expect. She did say she adjusts her fee based on a families financial situation and the fee's listed in the paperwork are standard fee's - not discounted.

July 26th, 2011, 08:46 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to WendyBird Send a message via Yahoo to WendyBird
That's great. Sounds like there's room to wiggle. I've been doing a lot of bartering with my midwfe, and then the bulk of the balance will be paid with our tax refund next year - which will be 4 months after the birth.
Kyron, Porter, Donovan, Jocelyn, & expecting #5

July 26th, 2011, 10:52 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I hope you can work something out. At least you have a great alternative if you cant. If I wouldnt have found this midwife I would feel so trapped right now. KUP on what you decide!

Momma to Brynn 10/2/2002 (midwife at hospital)
Emme 5/26/2008 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
Pierce 11/28/2009 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
and Surprise Baby #4 due 11/13/2011
July 26th, 2011, 10:10 PM
Thanks ladies. I keep going back and forth with it in my head. I think about things like - what if something happens to where I NEED to go to the hospital........then I'm out all this money for nothing. Then I go to thinking how peaceful and how nice it would be to just relax in my own bed with my family immediately after the birth. At least I have time to decide. Another thing I think of is she said to make sure I have someone who can take care of the kids within the first day or so so that dh, baby and I can have some quality time together - haha that will never happen, no one I know is crazy enough to take 7 kids. I'm lucky if I can get anyone to take 2 of them at once. There's a lot to think about

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search