Would you homebirth?

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 6th, 2011, 07:59 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I know I asked a similar question to this before but I want to give some specifics and then I want to know what you would personally do. If you don't mind.

My first baby was labeled "snug".
Second baby was labeled shoulder dystocia.
Third baby slid out "like butter" but was unable to breathe on his own. (38 wks gestation, midwife induction to try to prevent shoulder dystocia again)

I live 30 minutes from a hospital and any ambulance service is too far away. My new midwife feels comfortable with a homebirth. DH says it is my decision but he would rather me do it at the freestanding birth center. Its a house and is 20 minutes closer to the hospital.

Would you feel comfortable having a homebirth? Personally would you consider it a risk to homebirth if you had this history?

I already know how I feel about it I just want to know what decision you would make based on this info. Thanks!

Momma to Brynn 10/2/2002 (midwife at hospital)
Emme 5/26/2008 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
Pierce 11/28/2009 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
and Surprise Baby #4 due 11/13/2011
September 6th, 2011, 11:45 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I wouldn't, but am still tramatized from my recent non-homebirth. So I'm probably not the best person to ask.
I say this based on your 3rd babe not breathing and not the first 2-those things aren't a big deal to me.
September 7th, 2011, 12:40 PM
HippyMomOf4's Avatar Hippy Mom Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to HippyMomOf4 Send a message via MSN to HippyMomOf4 Send a message via Yahoo to HippyMomOf4
I would still have one because every baby and every birth is so different.

September 7th, 2011, 03:19 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to WendyBird Send a message via Yahoo to WendyBird
I would home birth. Because your midwife knows about your previous births, I assume she is going it know that shoulder dystosia and respiratory issues could arise. So she will go into it knowing that, and having a plan of action on what to do if it does occur again. If she is comfortable with it, I would be, too.

My Ovulation Chart

September 9th, 2011, 08:50 PM
Mega Super Mommy
If you lived closer to a hospital, I would say go for it. However, with no EMS and a 30-minute drive to the hospital, I'd probably opt for the freestanding birth center. I had my second at a freestanding birth center and it was just like having a home birth except that we had to drive home after a few hours (oh, and I didn't have to worry about keeping everything clean at the end of my pregnancy).

Lucia Jane, born 10.9.11

Forever missing our angel babies
September 11th, 2011, 08:27 PM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMissKnockedUp View Post
I would home birth. Because your midwife knows about your previous births, I assume she is going it know that shoulder dystosia and respiratory issues could arise. So she will go into it knowing that, and having a plan of action on what to do if it does occur again. If she is comfortable with it, I would be, too.
Agreed.

Also, what were the conditions of your first two pregnancies, and where did you give birth and with who?
What was your diet like with those pregnancies?
Was the baby really 38wks along or is that the "weekage" that you were induced (my sister was induced at 39wks but my niece was really only 37wks and had breathing problems).

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

September 20th, 2011, 02:44 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatureLovinMama View Post
Agreed.

Also, what were the conditions of your first two pregnancies, and where did you give birth and with who?
What was your diet like with those pregnancies?
Was the baby really 38wks along or is that the "weekage" that you were induced (my sister was induced at 39wks but my niece was really only 37wks and had breathing problems).
My first birth was a midwife at a hospital, my second and third were with a midwife at a freestanding birth center. My diet with the last two was decent; mostly tried to follow the Brewer diet. Baby's weighed 8lbs 6 oz and 7lbs 11oz. I was considered 38 weeks and 5 days with the midwifery induction; was told by the midwife I would have to have a hospital birth once I hit 39 weeks. I was 3cm dialated and 75% effaced so I opted for the strip the day before 39 weeks to see if labor would start to avoid a hospital birth. Labor started that day and I technically gave birth at 39 weeks (it was after midnight). Baby's lungs were obviously still immature; therefore he was admitted to the NICU.

My largest concern is not that this birth won't go amazing; it is that if the problems should arise I am at greater risk bc of the distance to the hospital. I was mostly wondering just where everyone stood.

We are planning a home birth and a birth center birth. If labor goes fast like the last two I probably won't make it to the birth center anyway so we will continue with a home birth. If labor starts slow or I feel like I have plenty of time to go to the birth center then we will. That's the plan for now anyways. I'm hoping for another fast labor.

Momma to Brynn 10/2/2002 (midwife at hospital)
Emme 5/26/2008 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
Pierce 11/28/2009 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
and Surprise Baby #4 due 11/13/2011
September 21st, 2011, 07:15 AM
Super Mommy
I am considering it for next time, but I had two uncomplicated deliveries previously. If I had a more complex history, I would be a little less likely, I think.
September 24th, 2011, 03:45 PM
Mega Super Mommy
No I wouldn't do it. Yes you had a previous uneventful delivery but what if the baby who couldn't breathe had been delivered at home? The outcome could have been disastrous. I'd play it "better safe then sorry" in this case. Just my opinion. The main thing is baby is born safely and myself id feel better knowing medical help is there. I do love reading the hb stories but being higher risk myself I wouldn't do it just for the simple fact that I'd never forgive myself if something went wrong and I did a home birth knowing I was high risk.
Johnny age 4 born October 8, 2008
SHANE IS HERE!! Born March 1, 2012

Breastfeeding for 8 months now!!

October 12th, 2011, 07:11 PM
Super Mommy
I think it depends on your comfort level..I have had a client with a history of shoulder dystocia and because we were ready, and had a game plan, we were able to have the baby out in under a minute and everything went fine..

There are many different methods to handle SD and usually a combination is needed.

The other thing that needs to be kept in mind is that a shoulder dystocia increases the risk of a pp hemorrhage, so you should also feel comfortable with your midwife being able to handle that.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search