Preparing our older children

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 13th, 2011, 07:07 PM
queenofthecastle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We haven't told them yet about the baby being born at home for 2 reasons, 1) we don't want them telling everyone and 2) we want to make sure that I won't have any issues come up that would risk us out of a h/b.

I will probably tell them late second trimester/beginning of the third. I need some tips, websites, video, book suggestions to let them watch/see/read to help them understand what happens when a baby is born and what happens when the baby is born at home. I want them to be prepared so that they aren't scared. They are 11, 9 and 5.

=May '05 and '11

October 14th, 2011, 07:07 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to WendyBird Send a message via Yahoo to WendyBird
I don't know of any sources. My boys are 9, 7, and 3. We've told them and talked around them about the baby being born here, but haven't done anything to prepared them. Chances are the older two will be in school or they will all be asleep when it happens. I'm also probably going to send them to a friends house when it happens. I'm playing it by ear. Guess I'm no help. Haha.

My Ovulation Chart

October 14th, 2011, 07:25 AM
queenofthecastle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
There is a good chance that mine will be in school also. If they aren't, then they are going to be home because my mom is coming to our house to take care of the boys. If I make noise or yell, I don't want them to be scared or worry about me. I want them to know that it's normal.

=May '05 and '11

October 18th, 2011, 10:52 AM
HippyMomOf4's Avatar Hippy Mom Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to HippyMomOf4 Send a message via MSN to HippyMomOf4 Send a message via Yahoo to HippyMomOf4
My children are younger 5,4 and 18 months at the time I delivered. I explained to my girls what happens when a baby is born, let them see a few pictures from their own birth. They were very interested but when it came time for me to have the baby they didn't want to be around us. I kept my oldest home from school that day.

October 19th, 2011, 09:17 AM
10x_A_Mommy's Avatar Plus 1 :)
This is my first home birth and my other children are 15, 12, 10, 7, 5, 3 and 1. I asked my midwife for tips on preparing them and she suggested YouTube as a great source to show them some Real births so that's what I've been doing. I've also been explaining to them that baby comes out a little bloody and that I might cry before he comes out because it hurts for a little while but that I will be ok and it's nothing they should be scared about etc. I also emphasize to them that they only have to be in my room if they WANT to be and that they are welcome to come and go as they are comfortable with.

My 12 and 7 year olds don't really want to be part of it, and my 3 and 1 year olds wont really understand so they probably wont come in until baby is born. My 10 and 5 yr olds though are super excited, my 5 yr old wants to catch the baby and my 10 yr old wants to cut the cord.
Tristan ~ lost 2/6/03 @ 20 weeks

October 21st, 2011, 09:41 PM
Alison79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My oldest three were present at my last birth and they were all really excited. My oldest was concerned about seeing the umbilical cord so we showed him some pictures and then he was fine with it. He even wanted my midwife to explain how the placenta worked and he got to see the sac and cord and how it all worked together after the baby was born. We watched photo slideshows from my other births and let them know that they didn't have to stay if they were uncomfortable. We had several adults on hand to take care of them if they didn't want to watch the birth. I think YouTube videos are a great idea.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search