Pets during a homebirth?

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 21st, 2011, 07:22 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Hi everyone!

I mostly lurk on here (as I'm waiting yet again for another chance to try for a HB) but I have a question...

How did your pets react during the birthing process? DD was born at the hospital, but when we brought her home, my dog went NUTS! She thought that DD was her puppy and that she had to take care of her constantly. She wouldn't let her out of her sight and would constantly be on high alert. (Not in a cute way either. We called the vet on several occasions because we thought that she was going to give herself a coronary) She was super-overprotective while I was pregnant as well. Even with my last pregnancy (m/c) she was hovering around me constantly. I guess I'm just worried that she's going to act a little crazy or not let anybody near me or something? Anyone experience anything similar to this?

Me: Autoimmune (Hashimotos and Fibromyalgia), vitamin D and calcium deficiency. Treated with Synthroid, supplements, TCM and acupuncture.

DH: Severe MFI (low counts, low motility, poor morphology and high antibodies), likely caused by poor liver function. Treated with Clomid to increase total counts.

DD: Conceived after 1 year of TTC with progesterone to correct LPD (likely caused by undiagnosed thyroid dysfunction). Born Aug 2009 via c/s after an induction due to pre-e and HELLP.

TTC #2 since Oct10 with an early loss in Aug 2011. Post-wash counts are too low for IUI to be successful, so moving on to IVF/ICSI in May 2014!

IVF/ICSI #1 (May 2014): Estrogen priming and antagonist protocol, including acupuncture and prayer!
17/05/14 - Baseline looks good, start Gonal-F 225iu and Luveris 75iu
28/05/14 - 18 eggs retrieved, 14 mature
29/05/14 - 13 fertilized!!! All are looking great still on day 3, so we're going to blast!
02/06/14 - Transferred one 1BC blast, with 3 other blasts and 3 morulas to watch and freeze
03/06/14 - All embryos have arrested. None to freeze
09/06/14 - Faint BFP at home at 7dp5dt!!!!!
10/06/14 - Beta?
November 21st, 2011, 09:11 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
My dog is very hands off hide type but extremely jumpy when people first get here so when we knew I was in labor my husband put the dog outback. Other than that she wasnt an issue.

November 21st, 2011, 09:20 PM
HippyMomOf4's Avatar Hippy Mom Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to HippyMomOf4 Send a message via MSN to HippyMomOf4 Send a message via Yahoo to HippyMomOf4
I just have 2 cats and I didn't really see them at all while I was in labor, If I still had dogs I would have put them outside or in another room.

November 22nd, 2011, 10:38 AM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
During most of my labor my dogs were outside. We have 2 large breed dogs. When I gave birth they were inside, but in the basement. They were very quiet. They didn't really react to the new baby, maybe because we already had a child.
November 22nd, 2011, 06:27 PM
MissusF's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've been wondering about this too. We have to shut our dog in our bedroom for 3 hours while our hypnobabies instructor is here and he whines and scratches and is pretty much a giant pain. I'm hoping to leave him out in the house while I'm in labor. Hopefully once he gets used to everyone being here he'll settle down and go sleep somewhere.

Claire Ellene 2/13/12 8 lbs 6 oz 21"

November 23rd, 2011, 08:37 PM
Platinum Supermommy
My cats were super clingy during pregnancy but AWESOME during birth! I distinctly remember burying my face in my cat's fur during a particularly tough contraction when I was feeling a bit stressed. They hid once I was in transition and were very respectful of my space once baby was here. I think having her born in the house helped them understand.

Thank you Kiliki for my first beautiful Siggie!

mom of 2 angels and an earth baby
December 15th, 2011, 09:34 AM
lilemma86's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
AWW i love that people's animals reacted pretty well!! I have two large breed dogs (pits), a cat, and a bird that does not like me to leave the room lol. When we do get pregnant we are gonna do the birth center route because my husband is going to be a little nervous and it eases his mind to be there, but when if we are blessed again I am going to push for a home birth! I think it would be awsome!! We live on a "family compound" where my grandmother lives next door and my mother next to her! I would love to be in labor walking around the compound hopefully nice weather lol!

January 1st, 2012, 06:08 PM
NYCgirl's Avatar Super Mommy
My cat sat on top of the couch where she could see everything the whole time. Our dog followed the midwife everywhere as if to 'help' her. The MW had to run up and down the stairs to get the birth pool filled in time. The dog went up and down with her every time! When my daughter came out the cat saw enough and left the room but the dog followed me everywhere until both my daughter and I were in bed - then he finally relaxed.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search