Log In Sign Up

Homebirth questions


Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
  #1  
November 25th, 2011, 09:26 PM
*Anya*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Bay Area. CA
Posts: 11,030
Hi everyone, we are currently ttc (2ww!) and I really want a home birth this time around. My first baby had an anomaly so I had no choice but hospital and it pretty much sucked, but it's what needed to be done. I have no health insurance at the time we were planning to pay the midwife cash since most insurances won't deal with them anyways. I contacted a few in my area and one suggested that I still get insurance in case I have to transfer to the hospital. Is that a good thing to do? Is it necessary? With my first I had looong back labor and caved into the epi after 2 nights of no sleep and no support team. Sorry if this is scattered I'm just trying to figure everything out so I know what I need to do. Thanks in advance for the help
Reply With Quote
  #2  
November 25th, 2011, 09:59 PM
Quantum_Leap's Avatar frequent flier
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Seattle area, Washington
Posts: 9,747
I just recently had a homebirth with no health insurance. We originally chose to homebirth for similar reasons as you're describing (financial), but it ended up being a fantastic experience that I will willingly repeat for all future births. As far as health insurance is concerned, we looked into that, but all of the policies that we found offered had something like a $25,000 deductible for maternity. It would have been completely pointless for us to buy into them, because even if I had needed a transfer I would have ended up having to pay for any expenses basically out of pocket, anyway. I think it depends on your state what insurance companies are and are not required to provide you, but you definitely need to look into that closely before signing up for anything. Ultimately, I felt confident that I would be unlikely to need a transfer, because my first birth experience had been fast and relatively effortless. Lucky for me, my second one is similar. If you've had complications in the past, though, you might want to assess your risks differently. Only you can really decide that. Good luck, whatever you decide! Homebirth can be an amazing experience, I hope it works out for you!
__________________

Thank you to the SSMC makers for my beautiful siggies!

(x2)(x2)(October 2011)
Reply With Quote
  #3  
November 27th, 2011, 01:01 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,204
We would never purchase insurance "just in case of transport" - that seems so, well, negative? That said, if you do have insurance, go ahead and have the midwife submit anyway, b/c you just never know. We've been flat out denied at initial contact (by our various insurance carriers) only to have them pay some once the claims have been filed. Ya never know.
__________________
~Lisa, homebirthing, homeschooling , homesteading mama. Married to my beloved for 19 years, raising a big brood of children on a little farm in Southern Michigan.

Mama to:
Nick, 18
Abby, 16
Gabe, 14
Isaac, 12
Mary-Kate, 11
Sam, 9
Henry, 8
Molly, 7
Mark, 5
Greta, 4
Cecilia,2
Josephine,1
Baby due Jan. 2014
Reply With Quote
  #4  
November 27th, 2011, 08:30 PM
*Anya*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Bay Area. CA
Posts: 11,030
I don't have insurance at the moment, I also thought it was a bit negative to get one just in case. My main fear is another drawn out back labor, but I think with the right support team I can do it. I really really want to have a successful home birth so maybe I'll skip the insurance all together thanks ladies!
another questions what did everyone have a CNM or CPM? I have always thought I'd feel a lot more secure and what not with a CNM but there are so very few in my area, and a lot of the local CPMs have great reviews so I'm considering meeting with a few as well. Any tips on what to look for?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
November 27th, 2011, 08:45 PM
MissusF's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Central CA
Posts: 3,374
I don't know if I would buy insurance just in case I needed a hospital transfer. Most private plans are so expensive and don't offer much in the way of maternity coverage anyway. Even if you do end up needing care at the hospital you would probably still wind up with a huge bill. My midwife mentioned that a lot of the clients she's had recently are having home births because they don't have insurance and can't afford to pay out of pocket at the hospital.

I believe my midwife's is credentialed as a Licensed Midwife. I'm not sure what the difference is between a CNM and a CPM besides that a CNM has been to nursing school. Not sure what sort of education a practical midwife has to have to be licensed.
__________________



Reply With Quote
  #6  
November 27th, 2011, 10:25 PM
Sk8ermaiden's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 5,791
It would depend on the insurance. We paid our midwife in cash and ended up transferring for a c-section after 9 hours of pushing with no descent. We have decent insurance and owed $10,000 out of pocket for the deductibles for me and baby, and that was on top of the $5K for the midwife. If we had not had insurance, the birth would have cost us $50,000. I am not sure how your finances would handle that, but it would have broken us. The $15K was bad enough.

That said, if I had insurance like Molly's, it wouldn't make sense. You kind of have to crunch the numbers.

All I can say is hope for the best, prepare for the worst. I've never talked to someone who DID think they would transfer. Everyone thinks it won't be them. It's fine to be optimistic, but it is really helpful to be prepared. You have a 90% chance of having a successful homebirth! But, from experience, it can really suck to be the other 10%. I would carefully weigh the financial pros and cons to carrying insurance and not make your decision because something "seems negative." Don't we as homebirthers pride ourselves on knowing the data and making logical decisions?
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #7  
November 28th, 2011, 02:37 AM
Quantum_Leap's Avatar frequent flier
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Seattle area, Washington
Posts: 9,747
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8ermaiden View Post
All I can say is hope for the best, prepare for the worst. I've never talked to someone who DID think they would transfer. Everyone thinks it won't be them. It's fine to be optimistic, but it is really helpful to be prepared. You have a 90% chance of having a successful homebirth! But, from experience, it can really suck to be the other 10%. I would carefully weigh the financial pros and cons to carrying insurance and not make your decision because something "seems negative." Don't we as homebirthers pride ourselves on knowing the data and making logical decisions?
Well said!
__________________

Thank you to the SSMC makers for my beautiful siggies!

(x2)(x2)(October 2011)
Reply With Quote
  #8  
November 28th, 2011, 08:56 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,204
I do agree that we shouldn't base these things on "feeling" - and...I've had 10 homebirths...with one transfer (newborn transport immediately after birth) - I certainly know it does happen, but I wouldn't go out and purchase insurance 'just in case' it were to happen again. I would plan a homebirth, and work the plan from that angle.
__________________
~Lisa, homebirthing, homeschooling , homesteading mama. Married to my beloved for 19 years, raising a big brood of children on a little farm in Southern Michigan.

Mama to:
Nick, 18
Abby, 16
Gabe, 14
Isaac, 12
Mary-Kate, 11
Sam, 9
Henry, 8
Molly, 7
Mark, 5
Greta, 4
Cecilia,2
Josephine,1
Baby due Jan. 2014
Reply With Quote
  #9  
November 28th, 2011, 09:20 AM
*Anya*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Bay Area. CA
Posts: 11,030
Thanks ladies, I'm looking into state supplemental insurance, we don't qualify for medical but we do for this, it's relatively cheap but only covers very basic care, which will be fine.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
November 28th, 2011, 09:50 AM
Sk8ermaiden's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 5,791
That sounds like it could be excellent.
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #11  
November 28th, 2011, 10:13 AM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Pavia, Italy
Posts: 5,959
I personally would get insurance. I wouldn't get it so much as a "just in case", I would get it because I like to make sure I have a back up plan. With my homebirth with ds2 I had a back up OBGYN for "just in case" and I'm glad I did. I did not transfer and I had a great homebirth and ds2 was great as well, but it was comforting knowing that I had a plan just in case things did not go as planned. I guess being in the birthing world my self (Doula, childbirth educator, etc) I know things don't always go as planned and when you don't have a back up plan it can be more chaotic then it needs to be. Just my 2 cents
__________________
Mama to G, L & twins F & M
Started off 2013 homebirthing suprise twins Fia Celesta & Maddalena Isabella
Reply With Quote
  #12  
November 28th, 2011, 09:10 PM
HippyMomOf4's Avatar Hippy Mom Extraordinaire
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Tulare, CA
Posts: 13,686
Send a message via AIM to HippyMomOf4 Send a message via MSN to HippyMomOf4 Send a message via Yahoo to HippyMomOf4
I would want insurance just in case, I had insurance during my home birth that paid for some of my home birth and 100% in case of transfer. I would be comfortable the most with a CNM its what I choose, and her partner was a LNM, so I would be comfortable with that if she had good reviews and her transport rates were low.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #13  
November 29th, 2011, 10:21 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 0
I think having some back up is a good plan (as long as the numbers make sense) My baby was a newborn transfer too - I can't imagine having to worry about the money as well as my baby!
__________________

Thank you Kiliki for my first beautiful Siggie!

mom of 2 angels and an earth baby
Reply With Quote
  #14  
December 1st, 2011, 11:26 AM
sugarloafbaby's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,974
I recommend some sort of basic insurance, but not maternity. most maternity plans, especially when you join them while already pregnant, simply pay out what you pay into them in premiums. If you were to transfer to a hospital, most likely it will be because of an emergency, and in that case, many basic plans will help to cover some emergency costs because by then it is considered "medical" and not "maternity" per se. I know if I end up with a transfer and an emergency c-section, my insurance will cover me after the deductible is met because of that.

I too had back labor with my first and know going in this time that even if I have it again, I will not transfer simply for pain relief if at all possible because I know I can get through it and also because I have a wonderful support team this time around.

If however, you have had certain complications in the past, you need to prepare accordingly as well.
__________________

Thank you .:Shortcake:. for my siggy!


Reply With Quote
Reply

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:37 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0