Looks more and more like a homebirth is out of the question

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 1st, 2011, 09:38 AM
KiwiMommy's Avatar Ashlynn's Mama
The cost is pretty hefty..and it looks like right now we'll barely be able to make ends meet, so I think a homebirth may be out of the question.. How did you ladies afford your midwife and homebirth?
I was thinking of setting up a homebirth fund, but my biggest fear is what happens if we don't get enough in the end?
My mom, and I quote, said "Well you can do meds free in the hospital"
Yes, that's true, but they'll want to hook me up to an IV anyways, will push pitocin and what happens if I get another bad nurse? I'm still young, so they're still judging..
Not to mention no moving around much..
The nearest birth center is an hour and a half away, so that seems unlikely too.
Any ideas?

December 1st, 2011, 10:09 AM
Irish_Wristwatch's Avatar Running with Scissors....
im sorry im in canada so our healthcare system is a lot different than the US healthcare is. My MW was covered by OHIP, just as an OB and hospital stay would have been.

Do you have insurance at all? will they cover a midwife delivery in a hospital? if not and you do end up with an OB would you be able to hire a doula?

I hope that the other ladies here have some suggestions for you and you are able to have your homebirth

December 1st, 2011, 11:08 AM
queenofthecastle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Our m/w's fee is $2200 with the extra costs it's over $2700. I'm babysitting at home to pay for the cost.

Depending on your insurance company will cover a h/b depending on the m/w and your policy.

Maybe you could look into a m/w at a hospital. You could also have a doula. Sometimes, you can find a doula who is finishing school and you can get one for free or at a discount.

=May '05 and '11

December 1st, 2011, 11:14 AM
sugarloafbaby's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I second the doula option! I think that would be the best second.

For us, a homebirth is MUCH cheaper than delivering in a hospital since my DH is self-employed and our health insurance does not cover maternity or prenatal care. It was going to be over $9,000 for a hospital birth after all the discounts for self-pay and pre-pay! Our midwives only charge $3100 so it's a great deal for us!

I hope you can work something out! Sometimes, you can get insurance to cover a homebirth, but it really depends.

I just saw that you are still very early in your pregnancy. I would talk to your midwives and see if they can set up some kind of payment plan, they are usually very willing to work with you to get the birth you want. See if there are any ways you can cut back or start saving now too. We started saving immediately after I found out I was pregnant. It was hard to save as much as we did, we we did without and made it work- cut out eating out, no a/c, only using one car and cutting back on driving- things like that. The little things add up!

December 2nd, 2011, 04:23 PM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Can you talk to your Midwife and ask if she takes a payment plan? I know some Midwives who have a payment plan of as little as $20 a month until it's payed off. Some Midwives do it for a reduced fee for low cost families as well. I would talk to your Midwife or other Midwives and see what they can offer. If homebirth is truly out of the quesiton then I would for sure get a Doula. There are many low cost or free Doulas out there.
December 2nd, 2011, 06:11 PM
KiwiMommy's Avatar Ashlynn's Mama
The midwives I've contacted don't do payment plans because they've had troubles actually getting paid when they do them.
I'm going to keep checking into what I can do to lessen the cost, but with my medical history with DD and everything, I think I may just settle for the hospital and hopefully find a doula.

December 4th, 2011, 11:15 AM
HippyMomOf4's Avatar Hippy Mom Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to HippyMomOf4 Send a message via MSN to HippyMomOf4 Send a message via Yahoo to HippyMomOf4
I'm sorry, our midwife was 4000 but our insurance paid half and the other part we paid with income taxes. Could you maybe pay half of the fee with income taxes while making payments for the remainder?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search