New here

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 4th, 2012, 12:39 PM
Niamh ૐ's Avatar Green Mama Goddess
Send a message via AIM to Niamh ૐ Send a message via MSN to Niamh ૐ Send a message via Yahoo to Niamh ૐ
Well, I've been a *little* intimidated to join here... but I feel like I should jump on in. DH and I are expecting our third baby. Here's a little background on my previous births:

The first two were hospital births... with midwives. My pregnancy with my oldest, I went in wanting a natural birth, but since it was my first, I really didn't know what to expect. Plus, the midwife program at that hospital was *terrible*... we saw a different person each time (a couple of them I didn't like) and I never got to know any of them. I had never met the midwives who were at my birth. And when the birth finally came, intervention after intervention was pushed on me... and being a total newb to birth, I just ended up agreeing to things. The birth ended in an "emergency" c-section. I have ALWAYS felt resentful about the chain of events from that birth.

The second time around, we were still going through a hospital (different hospital) and again their midwife program. This hospital was a LOT better though. I had two midwives throughout the pregnancy... got to know them and they were fantastic. I was determined to have a VBAC, no interventions unless *absolutely* needed, and I just wanted it as natural as possible. My midwives pushed HARD for the hospital to even allow me to attempt a VBAC (they were currently in the process of becoming a no-VBAC hospital since their new head-OB was dead-set against them). Through their persistence, the hospital allowed me to attempt a VBAC. The midwives worked with me to get the birth I wanted... but since they were hospital midwives, they WERE constrained by hospital policies. The morning I went into labor, I was INCREDIBLY sick. Throwing up left and right. I couldn't even keep water down. That night... my water broke. Great. I labored at home for a while, then we headed to the hospital. At first, I declined the IV, as I had planned to do... but because I was *SO* dehydrated from throwing up, I did end up agreeing to it. I didn't have any drugs though. No pit. No epi. No other "pain relieving" medication... nothing. The midwife was great. Helped me get through my contractions. She was great. However, the severe dehydration (even with help from the IV) started to cause my daughter to go into distress. We held off as long as possible... but it finally got to the point where the midwife was getting concerned, and we ended up having a repeat emergency c-section.

I'm at peace with my daughter's c-section. I labored naturally (except for the IV, but I do honestly feel that was needed), I had advocates. The midwife made sure nothing was pushed on me (ie the drugs and whatnot). And I do feel like the c-section was needed (whether others agree or not, they weren't there). What I *didn't* like was (a) the surgeon telling me afterward "C-sections from now on, ok?" (NOT OK!) and (b) the hospital's post-birth care of my baby and me. I swear, the post-birth part is the WORST part for us. Nurses coming in ever hour or two... waking us up. Pricking my daughter OVER AND OVER on her feet (she had incredibly bruised feet when we left the hospital 3 days after the birth). B*tching at me for co-sleeping with her (she was breastfeeding and I was napping). Almost messing up my placenta (we were keeping it... and there's a long story about them almost screwing that up). Holding us there and taking their sweet time getting our discharge papers ready... etc etc.

WE HATE THE HOSPITAL.

As much as I am accepting of my daughter's c-section, and the midwives I had with that pregnancy were great... this time around, we've basically said "I don't care how difficult it's going to be to switch insurance so we can go through a birth center... we're DOING IT." We are absolutely DONE with hospitals.

Our initial plan was to go through a birth center. You know... it's that middle ground between a hospital and home. I have always been more comfortable with the idea of a birth center than doing it at home... so that's what we were going to do. Found a birth center and met the midwives. They're great, totally supportive of me doing a VBA2C (yay!)... but their birth center isn't open yet, they've been doing just home births for a while now (they're still trying to get a building/house to use as the birth center, so they've been doing their appts and births at their clients' homes, which is what she prefers anyway).

After much consideration, talking with DH, being only a couple blocks from the hospital (just in case), and all that... we've decided to make the leap! We're going to do it at home! We have the space for a nice big birthing tub, also. And you know... I'm actually really excited! I was always more comfortable with the idea of a birth center rather than home, but I'm not uncomfortable at all with the choice we've made here! I really like that we will be at home. In my own comfort zone. My kids there, our pets there, my mom (and maybe his mom) there. Kids will have their toys... DH can maybe play video games during "down times", etc. I'm excited!

I'm also happy to not be so limited by hospital policies. And SO HAPPY to not have to deal with the post-birth hospital experience, ugh.

Anyway, I'm sorry this was sooooo long! I've been intimidated to join and didn't know if people in here would accept me (especially after having two c-sections, and accepting the last one as necessary... I'm sure there are some here who would insist that it wasn't... but not much I can say to them, ya know?). But we are seriously wanting a home birth this time and will be doing everything we possibly can to make that dream realized! So I hope I can be part of this forum.

I'm Niamh (nee-iv), I'm 27... a SAHM... married to Gwyddion (30) who is a Marine. Mom to Seamus (01/24/07) and Rhiannon (01/20/10). I'm also 10 weeks pregnant.

January 4th, 2012, 02:04 PM
Irish_Wristwatch's Avatar Running with Scissors....
welcome!! its so nice to have you here. Im sorry you felt intimidated to join here please know that you are more than welcome and everyone is happy to have you join us

Im Bree, DF is Derek and I have 2 boys Ross (17 months), who was a necessary hospital induction, and Will (2.5 months), my home birth baby. I loved my HB and will never have another hospital birth (unless its 100% necessary) I hope you get the birth experience you want

January 5th, 2012, 07:04 PM
MissusF's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Welcome! I'm Melissa expecting my first baby girl in on the 30th. I've found all the ladies here to be wonderful and supportive and not the least bit judgmental so jump right in!

January 12th, 2012, 02:41 PM
HippyMomOf4's Avatar Hippy Mom Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to HippyMomOf4 Send a message via MSN to HippyMomOf4 Send a message via Yahoo to HippyMomOf4
Home birth is amazing! I'm so glad that I was determined to have one with my 4th child, I really wanted to with my 3rd but just didn't have enough time and information.

Welcome!!

January 12th, 2012, 07:52 PM
queenofthecastle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Welcome an Congrats!! We are planning a home birth after 3 c/s's. I'm excited for our h/b and I can't wait to hear how yours goes!!

=May '05 and '11

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search